hardware synths with vst integration - like the vírus ti

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There seems to be a bit confusion about this. The Virus TI could transfer both audio and MIDI via USB in combination with the official plugin. It is also possible to render audio like in a native VST without having to use analog audio inputs/outputs. With the latest OS versions (latest is OS 5.1.1) the total integration also seesm to work much more reliable than in early OS versions.

There seem to be many VST editors for hardware synths (both official and 3rd party) but those are mostly only for editing patches and trasnfering MIDI data.

Another synth with both audio and MIDI over USB seems to be e.g. Roland V-Synth (have never used one myself). With newer Yamaha synths it seems to be possible too while for older Motif versions like the ES there were already additional quite expensive expansion cards to use audio and MIDI via Firewire.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Another synth with both audio and MIDI over USB seems to be e.g. Roland V-Synth (have never used one myself).
No only midi over usb, and that only if you have an old OS, the USB midi drivers haven't been developed for years. What you can do is transfer sampled audio and patches via USB, but not audio streams.

aMUSEd wrote:
SLiC wrote:Electron Analog4 and RTYM offer analog hardware synths with VSTi control.....supposed to be out this weekend!

http://eu.elektron.se/2015/04/overbridge-news/
Damn that does look good, I may just have to get an A4
...still waiting for overbridge and do not expect it to be fully functional for another 12 months, despite the time line. But yes it is what a lot of us are waiting on and will make these units totally intergrated to DAWs.

Virus TI, as mentioned, works wonders andthe latest OS is definately a lot more stable...finally. Best to use the VST3 [X] version over the vst2 now.

MFXxx wrote: Virus TI, as mentioned, works wonders andthe latest OS is definately a lot more stable...finally. Best to use the VST3 [X] version over the vst2 now.
Is it? Why?

aMUSEd wrote:
MFXxx wrote: Virus TI, as mentioned, works wonders andthe latest OS is definately a lot more stable...finally. Best to use the VST3 [X] version over the vst2 now.
Is it? Why?
Had an issue several weeks back when Cubase 8.0.1 was released where the TI software would keep crashing Cuabse. Not realasing there'd been a new beta release since the 5.0.8 update last year.

After a few positive messages back and forth with the tech guy from Access, he told me best to use the vst3 version over the v.2.4, which is totally opposite to what I understood for many years. So didnt use it. Purely on his word without clarification. Can say been using the vst3 for the last month without any notable issues.

Now we just need steiny to support vsti input for instruments beside just the effects. :@)

MFXxx wrote: Now we just need steiny to support vsti input for instruments beside just the effects. :@)
Do you mean audio input into a VSTi (that has that ability)?
I'm pretty sure you can do that. Can't try it myself because I have the Artist version...
Last edited by T-CM11 on Sun May 31, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MFXxx wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Is it? Why?
Had an issue several weeks back when Cubase 8.0.1 was released where the TI software would keep crashing Cuabse. Not realasing there'd been a new beta release since the 5.0.8 update last year.

After a few positive messages back and forth with the tech guy from Access, he told me best to use the vst3 version over the v.2.4, which is totally opposite to what I understood for many years. So didnt use it. Purely on his word without clarification. Can say been using the vst3 for the last month without any notable issues.

Now we just need steiny to support vsti input for instruments beside just the effects. :@)
Ah, I just hoped maybe it would make it easier to use it to process incoming audio (through sidechaining) or sync to time better.

Ingonator wrote:There seems to be a bit confusion about this. The Virus TI could transfer both audio and MIDI via USB in combination with the official plugin. It is also possible to render audio like in a native VST without having to use analog audio inputs/outputs. With the latest OS versions (latest is OS 5.1.1) the total integration also seesm to work much more reliable than in early OS versions.

There seem to be many VST editors for hardware synths (both official and 3rd party) but those are mostly only for editing patches and trasnfering MIDI data.

Another synth with both audio and MIDI over USB seems to be e.g. Roland V-Synth (have never used one myself). With newer Yamaha synths it seems to be possible too while for older Motif versions like the ES there were already additional quite expensive expansion cards to use audio and MIDI via Firewire.
The Roland FA-06 and 08 and the JD-Xi can do this but it doesn't have any vst editor yet.

There is one guy making a ctrl vst layout for the JD-Xi that is in Alpha testing now.

D-Fusion wrote: The Roland FA-06 and 08 and the JD-Xi can do this but it doesn't have any vst editor yet.
Having a built-in audio interface is not "vst integration". I for example don't want to use aggregate devices or ASIO4ALL just to use it with my existing audio interface. (added latency or whatever issues)

Good point.
The JD-Xi isn't even out though, maybe it will have its own VST....

Aural Chaos wrote:Good point.
The JD-Xi isn't even out though, maybe it will have its own VST....
I have it :D

T-CM11 wrote:
D-Fusion wrote: The Roland FA-06 and 08 and the JD-Xi can do this but it doesn't have any vst editor yet.
Having a built-in audio interface is not "vst integration". I for example don't want to use aggregate devices or ASIO4ALL just to use it with my existing audio interface. (added latency or whatever issues)
So you can use another soundcard while the Ti speaks thru the vst plugin without any audio cables?
If that is the case i have to take back my examples :)

Just wondering if there has been any new synths with total intergtration come out since this post was made? :help:
DaveSmith Evolver - AccessVirus TI - Vsynth XT - Guru - Kontakt - Z3ta - Vanguard - Disco DSP - Muon Tau - PS1 - Cubase SX4 - RME Fireface 800 - Genelec 8040 -

3 years have passed. Any new additions?
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

Moog Voyager

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/voyager-plug-se

Only an editor, doesnt do audio like virus ti

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”