Studio One 3 - Performance in one Gif

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TeddyMadison wrote:Motherboard is Gigabite UD5H
Interesting: I am using Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H. Maybe this combination of CPU and MB is not ideal for S1 v3? In case you are curious, here are the rest of my specs (I already tried swapping out the wireless mouse/keyboard and removing the USB wireless network; no changes there):

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H 1155 MB
16 GB Kingston HyperX RAM
Intel i7 3770k 3.4Ghz
RME FireFace 800 into Texas instruments PCI FireWire card
Windows 7 SP1 with all updates to-date
Black Viper "Safe" tweaks to Windows services
Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard
Cisco wireless Internet via USB

blueman wrote:
TeddyMadison wrote:Motherboard is Gigabite UD5H
Interesting: I am using Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H. Maybe this combination of CPU and MB is not ideal for S1 v3? In case you are curious, here are the rest of my specs (I already tried swapping out the wireless mouse/keyboard and removing the USB wireless network; no changes there):

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H 1155 MB
16 GB Kingston HyperX RAM
Intel i7 3770k 3.4Ghz
RME FireFace 800 into Texas instruments PCI FireWire card
Windows 7 SP1 with all updates to-date
Black Viper "Safe" tweaks to Windows services
Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard
Cisco wireless Internet via USB
Thats interesting, see I thought it could of been my 44VSL interface but seeing how you have the RME fireface, now I doubt it is the interface, Maybe its the motherboard... After all they both share the same chip, The ony difference is my one has a few more features and better power options for overclocking... Im going to buy an MSI or an Asus motherboard when I make the switch to windows 10 and will report with my findings.

Another strange behavior (I notice this using v2 as well):

On startup, using no FX or VSTi, S1 idles around 2-3% (very reasonable). As I add one or two VSTs or VSTi it quickly jumps into the 25-35% range. From there, it will easily find its way into 50% territory, as the track count goes above 5. Oddly, I can add more tracks, FX, and VSTi and it will start to stabilize :? It is almost as if it demands high CPU from the start--using all CPU cores and running at 30-50%--but does not necessarily add more as you go.

Btw, the demo songs all run at around 50-60%--even though I see 8 instances of Mai Tai on one :o I guess S1 has a very strange way of accessing and utilizing my CPU.

Are any of you noticing similar results? Does the CPU jump into the 30-50% range fairly quickly and then remain there throughout the session (even while adding more VSTs and VSTi)?

There must be SOME method to this CPU madness :bang:

ha ha i have noticed something similar to what ur describing. i thought it was just me but my friend system i noticed did the same thing to.

TeddyMadison wrote:Im going to buy an MSI or an Asus motherboard when I make the switch to windows 10 and will report with my findings.
Please do! If a $150 MB will fix this, I will happily follow suit :party:

It is interesting to see your results, using a completely different OS and audio interface.

A quick experiment for everyone else:

In an empty session, load Mai Tai with the "Pad/Chillwave Pad" preset. Load the Arpeggiator Note FX with "Balkan Nights" preset. Play a 4 or 5 note chord. What are your results?

I reach 100% CPU right away and nearly crash my system :o

I really love when people blame Studio One 3 for its´´weak´´ performances. If you really want to know, Studio One works perfect fo 99% of the users, so...it must be your system. And when I see that OP doesnt know the difference between sample rate and bit depth...what else can I say.

Next time, pls write that you have problems with computer and that your knowledge is not on level before blaming it on on one of the best DAWs on the world...or any other DAW, vsti, etc etc.

HcDoom wrote:I really love when people blame Studio One 3 for its´´weak´´ performances. If you really want to know, Studio One works perfect fo 99% of the users, so...it must be your system. And when I see that OP doesnt know the difference between sample rate and bit depth...what else can I say.

Next time, pls write that you have problems with computer and that your knowledge is not on level before blaming it on on one of the best DAWs on the world...or any other DAW, vsti, etc etc.
"And when I see that OP doesnt know the difference between sample rate and bit depth...what else can I say."

Where did you read that I dont know the difference between sample rate and bit depth? Please show me. Before making idiotic posts please read the thread. Other people are having issues too. My pc works fine with everything else but hey it must be broken if it spikes my CPU on Studio one, your logic is flawless. Actually USE studio one and Mai Tai then talk.

I use it and have no problems at all. Everything works flawlessly.

HcDoom wrote:I use it and have no problems at all. Everything works flawlessly.
What do use it for? Mixing audio tracks?... Now try using virtual instruments (especially Mai Tai) with heavy midi patterns.

... I must be a fool and my pc must be faulty because I use Studio one 3 differently to how you use it.

LOL! You have no arguments. I produce heavy vsti music and have no problems even on lower buffer levels. Obviously, you have conflicts between your hardware components, maybe too high dpc latency or driver conflict. Its certainly not S1s problem.

Do we have to do this in EVERY DAW conversation?

There are millions of different setups. It might work perfectly on one and terribly on another. It might be S1's fault or it could be the poster's computer.

I had time to play around a little last night...
Is it only me but the GUI seems a little sluggish? Using Win7 and not talking about audio at all.
Even just opening any VST interface and dragging the window around is not smooth. The slider movement too.
And that happens on a system that runs The Witcher 3 and FarCry 4 on ultra settings.
I'm confused...

Why does the mixer resize itself with one channel one height and others different, not does it remember the zoom height...maddening.
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

TeddyMadison wrote:
rich_h wrote:I'm running Studio One v2 and v3 on OSX Yosemite and it doesn't crash for me. Am I doing something wrong?
Try running Mai Tai with the Chillwave pad preset, Then play a 4+ note chord or run your mouse through the keys, and tell me your results?
On my Win7 64, Dell Optiplex 790 i5 2400 (cpubenchmark.net - 5821 points) a five notes chord will take the CPU to 35-40%.

But in full playing will choke.

I would've said that i7 3770k (9608 points) will not have problems.

Obviously, the synth is not CPU optimized and probably this particular patch is bugged. I don't think it has anything to do with motherboard or similar. I think the synth is simply not optimized at all. Maybe in the next releases.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”