Kern VSTi Preview/Demo - v 1.0.2 RELEASED

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kern

@Björn

I had to enable the option Allow complete unload of VST plug-ins (reduced memory use, but may not be compatible) in Reaper, otherwise it crashes if i add, delete, add the plugin again. New Deputy has the same problem (v1.0.4 was OK).

Win 7 SP1 x64, Reaper 4.78 x32.

tico-tico wrote:I had to enable the option Allow complete unload of VST plug-ins (reduced memory use, but may not be compatible) in Reaper, otherwise it crashes if i add, delete, add the plugin again. New Deputy has the same problem (v1.0.4 was OK).

Win 7 SP1 x64, Reaper 4.78 x32.
I can reproduce it when I run Reaper32 on Win7 x64 but only with ASIO4All v2 set as ASIO driver! Can you confirm this?
What makes it difficult is that the error vanishes once I debug it or even just run the debug version of kern.dll :borg:. Anyway, I will investigate further...

Cheers, Björn

Hi.
Full Bucket wrote:I can reproduce it when I run Reaper32 on Win7 x64 but only with ASIO4All v2 set as ASIO driver! Can you confirm this?
Nope, actually it was WASAPI.

Thanks for investigating. :)

tico-tico wrote:Nope, actually it was WASAPI.
Dang, this works flawlessly here...
tico-tico wrote:Thanks for investigating. :)
No problem, thanks for reporting!

Cheers Björn

Hi Björn,

just trying out kern, nice idea to make a really simple synth, but i guess everybody in the OSC community fears it cause it will be hell to make drums with :D

I think i found a little bug:
dial in FM, set source to LFO. Now hit the "mono" switch and the FM source will change to "Env", at least acoustically.
Also, I found it highly irritating that after switching the view to faders, there is no "Switch view" button anymore. I finally found it in the options menu, but that is rather non-intuitive.
And it would be really handy to use double click to reset knobs to zero/default.

Indeed, switching between Mono and Poly modes will internally reset the FM source to the envelope... good catch! 8)
I will fix that in the next version.

About the "Switch View" button: Originally Kern only had the "alternative" panel. Then I thought that folks might like to have a more traditional panel per default, and since I had some space left on that I added the "Switch View" button for my personal convenience (typically I only use this and never return to the default panel...). But I got your point; now I just have to find some space where I can put the "Return" button (maybe left to the "MIDI Learn"). Let's see.

Double-click for default: Hmmm, the VSTGUI standard is to press the CTRL key while clicking the mouse button, and this already works. But I will check what it takes to add double-clicking, too.

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote: About the "Switch View" button: Originally Kern only had the "alternative" panel. Then I thought that folks might like to have a more traditional panel per default, and since I had some space left on that I added the "Switch View" button for my personal convenience (typically I only use this and never return to the default panel...). But I got your point; now I just have to find some space where I can put the "Return" button (maybe left to the "MIDI Learn"). Let's see.
yep , the fader view is pretty full as it is now. Not overly important, it was just irritating for a minute because the "switch view" button was so prominent in the knobs view. Maybe just drop it and allow switching only via the menu?
Full Bucket wrote: Double-click for default: Hmmm, the VSTGUI standard is to press the CTRL key while clicking the mouse button, and this already works. But I will check what it takes to add double-clicking, too.
Also, not extremely important, it is just my workflow that i use the mouse tweaking a synth with one hand and the other hand playing something on my keyboard and everything that forces me to lift the hand is a bit annoying of course. But I know there is no real standard in VST land, most frameworks do the "CTRL-click" event, some double-click. I just prefer double click, it is way faster.

Also, not extremely important, it is just my workflow that i use the mouse tweaking a synth with one hand and the other hand playing something on my keyboard and everything that forces me to lift the hand is a bit annoying of course. But I know there is no real standard in VST land, most frameworks do the "CTRL-click" event, some double-click. I just prefer double click, it is way faster.
I agree. Double click is great for playing with one hand and using the mouse with the other. I wonder from a code perspective how much harder that is to code?

Doc Brown wrote:I agree. Double click is great for playing with one hand and using the mouse with the other. I wonder from a code perspective how much harder that is to code?
Right, using one hand is nice. Shouldn't be hard to code - I just have to check that it wouldn't break anything :)

Cheers, Björn

Skin for Kern VSTi v.1.0.2
Download
Last edited by D20 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi all,

Kern version 1.0.2 has just been released:
  • The FM Source bug when toggling Mono mode is fixed.
  • Double-click now resets a fader/knob to it's default value (similar to Ctrl+click).
Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote:Hi all,

Kern version 1.0.2 has just been released:
  • The FM Source bug when toggling Mono mode is fixed.
  • Double-click now resets a fader/knob to it's default value (similar to Ctrl+click).
Cheers, Björn
Nice work on the updates, cheers :tu: :clap:
:tu: All is good

Hi all,

just wanted to point out that mifftone has created a very nice skin for Kern... and of course not to forget the great soundset by albertodream! :tu:

>>>Get it here<<<

Thank you guys + cheers,
Björn

making a softsynth taylored for standard 8 knobs + 8 sliders + 8 buttons midi keyboard controllers is really a great idea! :tu:
soundwise the synth is decent although i found the resonance becomes really nasty/scratchy when it starts reaching self oscillation.

Hi,
in a fit of frenzy i did a complete soundbank for Kern. Quite a challenge as it is really reduced, but i like that. Noise is much missed, though, as is a possiblity to modwheel to something else, cause frankly, modwheel to pitch lfo is the least useful option most of the time :)

http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=2894

Return to “Instruments”