PPG WaveGenerator For Mac And PC *Out Now*

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PPG WaveGenerator Plug-in

Damn. Why did this have to be bumped and how did I miss this thing?

I'm not believing my ears listening to the Soundcloud demos on the site.

Questions.

1) Is there really a 64 bit version or is it 32 bit that you have to bridge? I've bought plugins, like OP-X II that say they work on 64 bit but don't really. Just want to make sure this is true 64 bit.

2) How does this stack up to Serum? Obviously if you're a Serum and Wavegenerator user that would be great.

I can't help but wonder how much external processing is going on in these demos because this thing sounds freaking off the charts awesome.

I really didn't want to get anymore synths for a while. Haven't bought anything since Dune 2 and that was a few months ago.

It's 64 bit

I think it sounds better than Serum, less flashy and less fx etc but deep editing capabilities.

Wavegenerator is definitely a different beast from Serum, with a steeper learning curve. I just grabbed it this morning, and I can tell I've still got a ways to go to master it, whereas with Serum it was much more intuitive (though that could be because of its similarities to Massive in terms of actual programming).

From what I've gleaned thus far, however, it is right in the same realm as far as capabilities go; one of the most strikingly great things about Serum is its excellent onboard effects and the astounding possibilities afforded through their modulation. The generator doesn't have that, at least from what I can see, not anywhere near that level at least. However, from what I have gleaned already one doesn't use the Palm for that reason, there are some valuable things that make having both a very good idea. Sort of like how it's a good idea to have both Serum and Largo, the differences complement each other quite well.

But this is from a relative newb on the synth, someone like Ingo would probably give a galaxies-better answer than I probably ever could.
Ha ha suck it!

Definitely deep editing, there are a few things that could have been done a little more intuitively in the GUI workflow though, is what I got from a brief foray; but seems it could do the trick if you got familiar with it. I wound up getting WaveMapper which uses waves from WaveGenerator and you can drag/drop the various waves onto different "parameter control cels" (for lack of a better term) that affect how they process - i.e., you can take a particular wave and drop it onto one of several OSCs, or just the gain envelope, or just the LFO, or filter, and it only changes that specific parameter of the sound you're working on. Genius. Similar to the old plex in a way but I think far more powerful, good for messing around for inspiration, cool discovered sounds, or just quick brainstorming.

PPG WaveGenerator is great !
It doesn't look fancy and the GUI could definitely be improved , but the sound and editing possibilities are AMAZING !
I also have Serum , Dune 2 and Z3TA 2 for Wavetable sounds, but this is a different beast with lots of surprises.

zlatan wrote:PPG WaveGenerator is great !
It doesn't look fancy and the GUI could definitely be improved , but the sound and editing possibilities are AMAZING !
I also have Serum , Dune 2 and Z3TA 2 for Wavetable sounds, but this is a different beast with lots of surprises.
But...but...but... There are no dubstep libraries for it! That immediately means it's not as good as Serum.

masterhiggins wrote:
But...but...but... There are no dubstep libraries for it! That immediately means it's not as good as Serum.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:tu:
Ha ha suck it!

masterhiggins wrote:
Well, I design all my own sounds so that isn't important. From what I heard, it appears that the sound possibilities are virtually unlimited.

Is that a fairly correct appraisal?

wagtunes wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:
Well, I design all my own sounds so that isn't important. From what I heard, it appears that the sound possibilities are virtually unlimited.

Put it this way, if you bring both your willingness to learn and your imagination with you into Wavegenerator, you are going to be delighted to find that whatever you invest into it, pays back in positive integers. Definitely. I've been hitting the manual and tutorials all day, and I've found that out myself. 110 US is a fine deal for this synth.

However, the same could be said about Serum, Nave, Largo, PPG 3. The good part is, just like the differences between those excellent instruments, Wavegenerator has its own. Some bad and/or annoying, some outstandingly cool. In fact, as I do whenever I'm first discovering a great synth, I caught myself saying "yee hah" and "that's pretty f#$@in' cool" at many points throughout the day.

You also might keep in mind that I forestalled buying Omnisphere for this, and for me it was for good reasons.

Still hoping the Ingonator shows up and saves me from giving anymore inadequate replies :D
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:

Put it this way, if you bring both your willingness to learn and your imagination with you into Wavegenerator, you are going to be delighted to find that whatever you invest into it, pays back in positive integers. Definitely. I've been hitting the manual and tutorials all day, and I've found that out myself. 110 US is a fine deal for this synth.

However, the same could be said about Serum, Nave, Largo, PPG 3. The good part is, just like the differences between those excellent instruments, Wavegenerator has its own. Some bad and/or annoying, some outstandingly cool. In fact, as I do whenever I'm first discovering a great synth, I caught myself saying "yee hah" and "that's pretty f#$@in' cool" at many points throughout the day.

You also might keep in mind that I forestalled buying Omnisphere for this, and for me it was for good reasons.

Still hoping the Ingonator shows up and saves me from giving anymore inadequate replies :D
As it seems we have similar tastes in VSTs, I'm going to trust your judgment on this one.

Having said that, it may be a while before I pick it up. I have so much on my plate for the rest of this year as far as sound design (currently working on a Blue II library after having just finished Omni 2) that it would probably be some time before I even got to it. But it's definitely on my to-buy list.

wagtunes wrote: As it seems we have similar tastes in VSTs, I'm going to trust your judgment on this one.

Having said that, it may be a while before I pick it up. I have so much on my plate for the rest of this year as far as sound design (currently working on a Blue II library after having just finished Omni 2) that it would probably be some time before I even got to it. But it's definitely on my to-buy list.
Well, it sounds as though you're in for a happy trip with Blue II, it's such a rewarding ride. In fact, I think I'll set aside the Wavegenerator for now and dive back into the deep...
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:

Indeed the new PPG plugins like Wavegenerator and Wavemapper 2 are different from those like e.g. Nave, PPG wave 3.V and Largo and i like all those for what they are.
Anyway the ultimate PPG experience seems to be the combination of Wavegenerator and Wavemapper 2.
As mentioned earlier Wavemapper 2 could do everything from Wavegenerator and more except the wavewavtable editor (while the wavetables are compatible. Bot har ealso compatible with the wavetable editor of the free Audio Term tool (which works for multiple wavetable synths). Wavemapper 2 could import samples as wavetables (like Nave, Serum and Codex) and also as "TCS" which is similar to a wavetable but as a bunch of small samples instaed of single cycles. Besides that one of the major features of Wavemapper 2 is teh "Sound Map" for combining different parts (Filter, Oscs, etc. of different patches to a new one.

For those who search for a nicer GUi could go with Wavemapper 2 too... :)

At the website there are also downloads for Wavemapper 2 with imported Wavegenerator banks (there is an import feature in the file manager):
http://wolfgangpalm.com/wm2_soundbanks.html

Banks for Wavegenerator:
http://wolfgangpalm.com/wg_soundbanks.html

More infoe about Wavemapper 2:
http://wolfgangpalm.com/wm2.html

The graphics of the wavetable display in Wavegenerator was also revised in the last updates to look closer to that in Wavemapper 2.

PPG and Wolfgang Palm also have their own forum at KVR:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=251
This also includes threads about free wavetables etc.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

A problem i see about the PPG plugins is that while they are cool they seem to be mostly ignored at KVR and also other places while those who actually used them usuually say that they are great.

The problem i see by most people ignoring them is that it is difficult for the developer to do further development and it could also be a reason why Wolgnag Palm recently did not really post at his forum at KVR.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:A problem i see about the PPG plugins is that while they are cool they seem to be mostly ignored at KVR and also other places while those who actually used them usuually say that they are great.

The problem i see by most people ignoring them is that it is difficult for the developer to do further development and it could also be a reason why Wolgnag Palm recently did not really post at his forum at KVR.
They indeed seem to be nice synths but:
a) I have already too many synths (an I have probably a lot less than an average person here)
b) a stupid c/r copy protection is a total turnoff.

Now these are among the synths I could even consider buying despite a) but because of b) i will continue to ignore them.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
Ingonator wrote:A problem i see about the PPG plugins is that while they are cool they seem to be mostly ignored at KVR and also other places while those who actually used them usuually say that they are great.

They indeed seem to be nice synths but:
a) I have already too many synths (an I have probably a lot less than an average person here)
b) a stupid c/r copy protection is a total turnoff.

Now these are among the synths I could even consider buying despite a) but because of b) i will continue to ignore them.
I agree that CR copy protections are not nice (and i even prefer dongle protection like e.g. at Waldorf compared to those...) but at least those in the PPG synths seem to work quite simple. There is a quite short code that is entered during installatiion (followed by a short contact to their server) and at the next installation (if you re-install it) the code will be remembered so you do not have to re-enter it (of course teh license stil has to be checked by their server).
You will need to request a second code if you want to use the PPG synths at another computer (of course not at the same time...).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”