Studio One 3: Did you upgrade?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:
ls1xxx wrote:Can you Auto Quantize midi notes while recording? I didn't see this option in the last version.
Yep. There's a big "IQ" icon on the main toolbar, "Input Quantize", it's also on the Record Panel. It's always been there on the main toolbar, it's just a big button now...
The IQ button (Auto Input Quantize) was removed from the main toolbar in V2 and is luckily back in V3. 8)
The Q button was always there.

24MTS wrote:
Andywanders wrote: In the MIDI editor/Piano Roll, Is it possible to select notes by pitch?

Say I want to edit the velocities of all the closed hi-hat notes in one go, can I select all f# notes at once, without marquee dragging?

I never found a way to do this in previous versions, so I'm wondering if it's in V3 - or maybe I just missed it.
Yes you can do it, at least in version 2, by holding CTRL (on Windows) and then simply click the note you want in the piano roll.
That will select notes of the current event.
To select notes of all events, hold CTRL+Alt and click the note in the piano roll.
Last edited by RexXx on Thu May 28, 2015 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

S1 v.2 is my main (and only) DAW, I think I will be upgrading someday but this is not top priority for me at the moment, at least I want to upgrade my Komplete 9 first. Thing is that I'm already almost perfectly fine with v.2.

Pros: The multi-instruments and multi-FX are what appeals to me the most, I can imagine many creative uses for them, arpeggiator is also a very useful tool.

Cons: Mai-Tai and updated Presence seem to be nice instruments, but I already have some good VA synths and a huge sample library that comes with Kontakt, I'm not sure these two will add something essential to my instruments collection.
It seems that the macro controllers don't work the way I expected them do do when I saw them announced, that's a letdown for me.

Also I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't implement any way of pattern sequencing. Overall, I'm fine with linear sequencing, but since my music has some repetitive patterns, like drumbeats and stuff, I hoped to have a convenient way to sequence them, like in FL Studio.

Still, for me this update seems to be of good value for money, especially considering that I will be upgrading from S1 Producer and should also get some additional effects like Open Air and Multiband compressor.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

24MTS wrote:I am no Lawrence, but.... :)

Yes you can do it, at least in version 2, by holding CTRL (on Windows) and then simply click the note you want in the piano roll.

Works rather nicely.
Thank you so much no Lawrence (24MTS) :D

RexXx wrote:That will select notes of the current event.
To select notes of all events, hold CTRL+Alt and click the note in the piano roll.
And thank you too RexXx :D

MaxSynths wrote:No. I keep v1.6, nothing that I need since that version. The DAW now it's a theme park as other DAWs; lots of useless stuff and no full support for hardware synths.
I hear you, straight to the point ...

my little roundup on the Presonus forum due to this context:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=9105

Interesting, we did opposite actions but we come to the same conclusion:
Studio One v1.65 was promising and is landing now on the status of being average.

My personal decision to upgrade yet:
an average daw is just a daw and can be used equally to any other daw, thats why Studio One is my daw.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Omkar wrote:
MaxSynths wrote: Studio One v1.65 was promising and is landing now on the status of being average.
^^^This!

What made me choose S1 was its simplicity and easy workflow. What I need is a simple and solid DAW with no frills to work with audio and MIDI.

The only thing I needed to be happy was support for external instruments (like in Sonar, Cubase, Reaper etc. Can they be so lazy? I know they choosed the "look mama: no MIDI" way... but external controllers are supported; I think it doesn't need too much to add definition files :shrug: ) and better editing functions for MIDI events (the quantize functions really sucks IMO, I never been able to make S1 quantize something properly); other than this S1 was almost perfect since the first versions. I think it's one of the rare examples of a piece of software that has been downgraded with the increment of the version number. :hihi:

Someone had asked in the other thread about why anyone would use more mature daws like cubase, logic or DP.
This answers that. Midi plugins, instrument definitions, advanced midi selection/editing, and to some degree notation are all OLD (think decades) features that users of more mature daws have simply taken for granted since before DAWs were even DAWs. They're pretty much the baseline expectation for a midi sequencer.
For some, not having these things would be like a new user buying a "pro version" DAW that didn't have automatic delay compensation or virtual instrument support. It would just seem weird, because those things have pretty much always been there for anyone picking up a daw post y2k.
Granted, S1 is a new DAW, so they have a lot of catching up to do, and old features like that aren't going to be the immediate priority given modern workflows. They're doing broad stroke upgrades to add the basics and cover as many users as possible, which is a sensible approach. The more arcane stuff will no doubt get filled in as time goes on.
Last edited by kelldammit on Thu May 28, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

recursive one wrote:
Also I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't implement any way of pattern sequencing. Overall, I'm fine with linear sequencing, but since my music has some repetitive patterns, like drumbeats and stuff, I hoped to have a convenient way to sequence them, like in FL Studio.
It does have pattern sequencing...that's what the arranger track is for. To me it's even better than the one in Maschine and Ableton. All you have to do is label your pattern and copy, move, repeat or whatever you wanna do INSIDE of the actual liner timeline....sick. Most DAWs you have a separate view for patterns versus liner view(reason, ableton, FL) Or, you can use the inspector and just program your whole song start to finish, intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, etc all in a timeline.

not to mention you can edit a beat on the fly with the scratchpad and drag that in the song whenever u want!!

mobetta wrote:
recursive one wrote:
It does have pattern sequencing...that's what the arranger track is for. To me it's even better than the one in Maschine and Ableton. All you have to do is label your pattern and copy, move, repeat or whatever you wanna do INSIDE of the actual liner timeline....sick. Most DAWs you have a separate view for patterns versus liner view(reason, ableton, FL) Or, you can use the inspector and just program your whole song start to finish, intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, etc all in a timeline.

not to mention you can edit a beat on the fly with the scratchpad and drag that in the song whenever u want!!
Arranger is nothing like pattern sequencing. With pattern sequencing you can have overlapping patterns, which is a big deal. With the arranger, you can't.

There's also the fact that the Arranger in S1 affects your entire timeline, and not actual patterns.

The Arranger in S1 is borderline useless unless you're making some very simply structured music. Maybe you are, and that's awesome. Please understand that a lot of folks have arrangements with overlapping elements such as: transitions, rendered effects tails, pickups, lead-ins, thematic elements, dialogue, etc.. etc.. The list goes on and on with things that cross what S1 considers a section. Pattern sequencing solves this elegantly and intuitively. S1v3 does not have pattern sequencing.*

* besides some convoluted workarounds that you could do in any DAW.

edit: Nothing like a gif using one of S1v3's own demo songs to prove my point.

^^ this doesn't happen with a proper pattern sequencer with groups, or with a DAW that has region grouping, or with a DAW that has a decent arranger.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri May 29, 2015 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Tried to install the demo but I can't activate it because S1 fail to login to my account (Server error 200). Anyone had this problem?
Other than this I had to download 450MB of updates for Windows (which took almost 2 hours to install) because S1 refused to start without an updated version of Win7 (don't know why and what was looking for...).

24MTS wrote:
xNiMiNx wrote: Screw updating...
Yeah, I've heard this before, never from happy people. :)
So, why? Unless you want your life to be more difficult...
Have you searched the net for that KB? Youll see Evil, and Botched a lot. Youll find information reguarding computers that are 'win 7' compatible, but not compatible with that KB patch, and recommended to uninstall the update.

Ok, since i can guarantee you didnt actually search that string, here you go:

"The KB2670838 update caused the Areo affect for transparent Taskbar to stop working, prevented Turbotax from opening ANY returns, prevented the Protector Suite 2012 Control Center from running, and prevented many program icons from displaying. Removing this update fixed all the problems that I spent more than a week trying to find a fix to."

"This update has two effects on my system*; 1. For whatever reason, it turns the lower taskbar turquoise, 2. Explorer 9 or 10 and Chrome 25 get a 60 delay in information typed into them with internet speeds reminiscent of dial-up, while Firefox 19 ceases to function at all; The internet becomes essentially non-usable."

Fuzzy fonts article: http://www.infoworld.com/article/261434 ... fonts.html

But hey, you know what? Stop reading my post and go check for updates bro.

Side note, you Did notice youre in the thread called "Studio One 3: Did you upgrade?" right?

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Thank you for informing xNiMiNx - I did not know, neither did I ever have any problems with Win7 updates. So, there is a little bit more information for me, thanks. I don't understand your side note though. I did notice what thread we are in, what has got to do with anything? If you ask did I upgrade, no, I did install the demo but I will not update just for a while. I am still on v2.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

I had to upgrade to win 7 sp1 in order to run the v3 demo - Worst 4 minutes of my life waiting for it. And the couple of minutes it took to install was almost unbearable.

I've had no windows errors or op system *uck ups because of the ordeal, but I have had a blast with the new S1, so all I all, well worth the trauma of satiating Bill Gates' best efforts to hinder me. Problems could be system specific but I seem to have made the change unscathed.

Software wise I like the new add ons so have to rule out the artist version with vst support in an upgrade path, and as I'm not really scratching the surface of power user requirements, head over heart, It's a hard sell to myself at NZ$275.
Though the more I use it, the more I know I won't be able to look backwards and go without. Best start saving for the cyber day sale then. :)

And if PreSonus want to use the first part of the previous sentence in their promotions I'll happily accept a nfr upgrade from v2 producer and consider it payment in full. :D
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

24MTS wrote:Thank you for informing xNiMiNx - I did not know, neither did I ever have any problems with Win7 updates. So, there is a little bit more information for me, thanks.
If you arent being sarcastic, youre welcome.
24MTS wrote: I don't understand your side note though. I did notice what thread we are in, what has got to do with anything? If you ask did I upgrade, no, I did install the demo but I will not update just for a while. I am still on v2.
My side note is just pointing out that updating is a question, as in, not everyone does it as soon as there is an update availible. Saying that people who dont update are unhappy... Ive worked in IT, ive seen MS updates that 'cure vulnerabilities' or fix 'issues', that cause more vulnerabilities or issues. This is why i have not run 'auto updates' for the past... decades?

If you didnt have issues, im genuinely happy for you, but that doesnt make it reality for 100% of users.

Cool updates in v3? Yup. Will i go through the payment and OS updates that they require? Nope.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

mobetta wrote:
It does have pattern sequencing...that's what the arranger track is for.
Nope, it's a completely different thing. Arranger track only allows you swap different parts of the entire song - this can be useful when you are working on the overall structure of your song, but has nothing to do with the actual pattern sequencing.

Say you have a 16 bar synth part and want to have a two bar dromloop playing along it, want to try different patterns of your drumloop, create some variations, say, at 8th and 16th bar, etc. This is what pattern sequencing is for and the arranger track has nothing to do with it.

Also if it cuts tails of the transition parts (re: Robert Randolph's post), this indeed makes the arranger track mainly useful for rough draft arrangements.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”