Gated Reverb plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What plugins do you guys like using for Gated Reverb effects? Does anyone find using a gate plugin like FabFilter Pro G combined with a reverb plugin yields better results than a standalone plugin?

LFOTool
Bitwig Certified Trainer

yzcoruhT

you could duplicate the track, have one with a reverb at 100% dry\wet, and put a gate on the channel with the reverb. :)

It really depends on what you want to achieve; if its just simple gating on reverb, using a stand alone or using the above method would produce identical results.

stikygum wrote:Does anyone find using a gate plugin like FabFilter Pro G combined with a reverb plugin yields better results than a standalone plugin?
You have to note that reverb with a chopped decay (i.e. when reverberation algo itself has a "gated" release shape) and a reverb followed with a gate may give different sound. So it might be that a reverb + gate may work better for some applications. Consider that before the gate clamps down, it is "normal" reverb. A "naturally gated" reverb will have chopped decay all the time.

For electronic gated reverb, Valhalla UberMod. It has the architecture similar to some famous gated reverbs, but with more taps and more configurable. VintageVerb has "NonLin" algorithm also, but it's more like an emulation of another "NonLin" rather than something modern, so it's far less dense and more grainy, like 80's HW reverb with limited resources.

For rock - room mic + gate with sidechain.

This is an interesting topic to me .. looking forward to more suggestions! Other than UberMod, I can't think of any individual plugins that could do it completely on their own. Maybe some of the glitch-style plugins like Effectrix, Glitch2, or Tantra? Hmmm...

I just use a reverb followed by a sidechained gate, maybe a compressor after that.

Breverb II

Im interested too.

One that i know: WaveArts MasterVerb. (Envelope = Gate)

Nice sound, rather versatile, but unfortunately not exactly cheap.

Waves RVerb has Gate algorithm so I occasionally use that. It has very nice sound on drums. But when I want more control then I just put gate after revereb. Especially when I want to use a huge reverb.
No signature here!

Gosh wrote:tone 2 ultraspace:
https://www.tone2.com/html/ultraspace.html
+1 ...excellent and accurately tempo-synced gate reverb (and reverse gate) effect by using multi-tap stage appropriately

...as well as an excellent and a fully functional reverb-and-gate effect

You'd find better sounding reverb unit of course, but IMHO it's all you'll need for the peculiar purpose

I once tried FreeVerbToo and found it pretty handy. Gated reverb sounded unnatural, which perfectly suited the snare sound I wanted. The free VST includes x64 PC support.
http://www.sinusweb.de/freetoo.html

Gosh wrote:tone 2 ultraspace:
https://www.tone2.com/html/ultraspace.html
+1 I wasn't really impressed at 1st but I gave it a second chance and really like it now. For gated reverb I think it's great!

Return to “Effects”