Alchemy Mobile has been resurrected!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Mobile

I know this could be posted in the mobile section but I figure most people needing this would miss the news.

Curtesy of discchord.com from what I understand you have to use a link from your iOS device to find it in the App Store. Cheers!

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/5/28/alc ... nd-of.html

It's taken a while but Camel did promise to make it possible for Alchemy Mobile owners to download their IAPs etc, glad they came through.

aMUSEd wrote:It's taken a while but Camel did promise to make it possible for Alchemy Mobile owners to download their IAPs etc, glad they came through.
Hardly something to get cheerful about.

It was Camel Audio that made it impossible in the first place.

Numanoid wrote:It was Camel Audio that made it impossible in the first place.
Actually I suspect it was Apple that did that; Camel Audio may have pushed to get their legacy customers' purchases respected. And it might have been agreed from the get-go that this was going to happen but it just took this long to code a test a solution that worked for everyone.

A lot can be conjectured in the absense of facts. Both good and bad. ;)

It's fully functional in the App store for existing customers. I got a new iPad after the CA buyout and now all the Pro features and libraries are restored on it.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Interestingly, any libraries purchased after the Apple acquisition don't appear as "Free": Apple's hard line or an unintentional omission?

The real questions are: who do we ask and where?

Breeze wrote:Actually I suspect it was Apple that did that
Yes, and who agreed to this? Oh yeah, Camel Audio did. They deserve just as much of a f*** you as Apple does, imo.

masterhiggins wrote:Yes, and who agreed to this? Oh yeah, Camel Audio did. They deserve just as much of a f*** you as Apple does, imo.
Don't get me wrong: I totally understand your bitterness and resentment. I think the only reason Apple agreed to reactivate this app, its IAPs, and connexion to owned banks in the full version is image.

Sadly. as long as we live in the corporate environment we live in, this will happen again and again. It's happened before. Even Steinberg has changed hands 3 time in its long history. But Apple is unique in that its MO is all about denying previously available tools to the PC world in order to boost their hardware sales: I agree that there's something fundamentally despicable about that.

But look at the new amazing Scoring app available only for the Microsoft Surface. It looks like Microsoft is learning the lessons of its arch rival. I expect they'll try to push more of this kind of platform-dependant software. And again, sadly we may find ourselves buying platform independent software that eventually becomes platform dependant. Let's hope it doesn't go that way; if anything, we can try to make choices that discourage it.

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I also updated it. Just because...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Breeze wrote:Let's hope it doesn't go that way; if anything, we can try to make choices that discourage it.
How, though? Those choices can only be reactive, not preemptive. There is nothing you can really do if a company, like in the case of Camel Audio, can't resist the money on the table and abandons their customers in order to cash in on the product that the Windows users (also) made a success.

I can't even blame Apple in this. They are consistent with their business strategy, and everyone (including Camel Audio's decision makers when they agreed to sell out) knows what to expect. You really couldn't predict that Camel Audio would be willing to agree to such terms, and then not support them, however.

Mivo wrote:How, though? Those choices can only be reactive, not preemptive.
You're right of course. When I wrote that, I was considering that encouraging devs that make multi-platform software instead of devs that make platform independent software, or charge for each platform, could be a way to try to stem the tide. But in the end, it can happen to any product whose company sells their IP to a platform-polarized player.

I guess we're stuck being victims in this game whenever something gets scuttled to the opposite camp. :shrug:

Ultimately, maybe what might save us is someone writing a meta-OS that could run anything... but now I'm dreaming. Although it would make a fascinating novel... ;)

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For me, its awesome being able to play every preset on my desktop Alchemy using the keyboard & remix pads on my ipad Alchemy. Great feature. I'm rediscovering both apps now.....
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

masterhiggins wrote:
Breeze wrote:Actually I suspect it was Apple that did that
Yes, and who agreed to this? Oh yeah, Camel Audio did. They deserve just as much of a f*** you as Apple does, imo.
People get all cozy with these companies that are seemingly so pro consumer until something like this happens. Seen it a million times.

Its just a matter of setting your expectations realistically and you will never get burned.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”