Frequency Splitter Plugin (64-bit AU)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey there,

i'm looking for a 64-bit au frequency splitter plugin that, well, splits the incoming signal into different bands so that they can be treated with different effects, and then gives out the final signal. i came across blue cat audio's mixer-mb, which pretty much seems to be what i mean. however i was just wondering if there are any alternatives out there that are worth to check out (and maybe a little lower price than the 100 bucks the mixer-mb costs ;) )

thanks folks,

-simon

There's Hornet's 3x Over (http://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-3xover/), but you could also get away with using a few EQ's or filter plugins, set at the right frequencies.

Wait... you want this to be an all-in-one solution I believe? Then look at DDMF's Metaplugin maybe?

well, i would indeed prefer a single plugin- i'm not sure if the crossover points would be smooth enough when i set up different tracks and eqs. or could you maybe tell whats important when one wants to do it with different audio tracks? would you for instance just set up a low pass filter on one track at, say, 1000 hz and on the other track a high pass at 1000 hz respectively? or should there be a small overlap, e.g. the high pass set up at 950 hz?

Well, you could use metaplugin to split the signal and then use two or more EQs/Filters to pass only certain frequencies to the split signal.
You have to use specific parameters in a filter to do it properly (although, if your only goal is sounddesign on a single track, and you don't care too much about phasing, my guess is that it really isn't that relevant). The Fabfilter guys had this to say about it (you can apply this to other EQs of course):
If you'd like to use an EQ tpo create crossover filters, those filters need to have special properties... for example, the filter needs to have a -6dB gain at it's cutoff frequency, so that adding LP and HP at that point will result in a 0dB level. In short: not every EQ filter can be used as a crossover filter!
In Pro-Q v1, we had implemented the 24 dB/oct and 48 dB/oct filters as 'doubled' 12 and 24 dB/oct filters. Due to this, they can 'accidently' be used a crossovers :-)
In Pro-Q 2, we've implemented 'true' higher order filters (at any slope, the gain at the center frequency is -3 dB/oct.
So to use Pro-Q 2's filters as crossover filters... just double them! In other words: you can re-create Pro-Q v1's 24 dB/oct filters by simply using 2 12 dB/oct filters in Pro-Q 2.

that's great, thank you very much for the information :) to put it in their words i 'accidently' happen to be proud owner of Pro-Q 2 ;)

studio one V3 have this fonction ,but i don't if you can use it with the artist version (lower than 100 buck)

A more in-depth and technical answer can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_cros ... r_or_slope

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_cros ... t_topology

Looks like Pro-Q 2 is using Butterworth filters, which you can stack - as mentioned - to create the standard 24dB/oct Linkwitz-Riley crossover. Unlike other filter types it has the advantage of keeping the output signals in phase with each other, and having a flat frequency response in the overlapping frequency area.

You could also experiment with the "derived" splits using different filters and phase cancellation, but pay attention that the bands' polarities are not reversed when summing them back together. :)

hivkorn wrote:studio one V3 have this fonction ,but i don't if you can use it with the artist version (lower than 100 buck)
really? that would be awesome! damn, might be that studio one v3 would be the perfect daw for me - but actually i've been a long time logic user and learned it inside out... no, i have to resist the temptation :pray: :lol:

Logic is an excellent DAW, wouldn't change just for this, there are drawbacks to any DAW.
That said, Studio One is maturing nicely.

really? that would be awesome! damn, might be that studio one v3 would be the perfect daw for me - but actually i've been a long time logic user and learned it inside out... no, i have to resist the temptation
Be sure to check the artist version do it...Try the demo before.

Extended FX Chains <= it's the stuff , you can split the signal by frequency / or by channel (L/R) ...

here is a link to a youtube vidz explaining the stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA-ODMD19as

Return to “Effects”