Studio One 3: Did you upgrade?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nope, bought flstudio

I'm pretty sure they'll have a sale by the end of this year...

murnau wrote:
sugo wrote:
murnau wrote:I wait for the 50% off sale to coming. :)
I think the actual number of sales, and the long and innovativ development of the software, will be a reason for a long time till any sale for this thing will reach us. thats also the reason why i bought it now. and furthermore i couldn`t wait to trying this thing. and for now i can say: it was a good decision. i enjoy it very much to play with it.
I'm pretty sure in the next 6-9 month if not earlier. Dare to bet? :D
+1

Id be willing to bet that around christmas/black friday they will have a one day 50% off sale (as presonus have been known to do from time to time like on valentines day). IMHO it was worth it for the shiny newness+jrr's discount. If it wasnt for that discount though I probably would have waited

Orbit-50 wrote:
duncanm wrote:question on s1 though, just in general. Why is live the only DAW that by default allows you to move midi notes with the arrow keys instead of moving from one note to the next, as cubase and s1 does? Can you even nudge with the arrows with s1?
Straight from the horses mouth bro,

Nudging is an alternative to moving Events and notes across the timeline with the mouse. To Nudge any Event or note, select it and do one of the following:

NudgePress [Alt]+[Right Arrow] on the keyboard to move the Event or note forward in time by the current snap value in the Arrangement or Editor. With Snap disabled, nudging adjusts in milliseconds.
Nudge BackPress [Alt]+[Left Arrow] on the keyboard to move the Event or note backward in time.
Nudge BarPress [Ctrl]/[Cmd]+[Right Arrow] to move the Event or note forward by one bar.
Nudge Bar Back Press [Ctrl]/[Cmd]+[Left Arrow] to move the Event or note backward by one bar.
Any number of Events or notes can be selected and Nudged simultaneously. The Nudge commands are also available in the Edit menu.

.-.
Thanks a lot for this! Knew i should have at least tried the alt key!

e@rs wrote:I'm pretty sure they'll have a sale by the end of this year...
ezelkow1 wrote:Id be willing to bet that around christmas/black friday they will have a one day 50% off sale
ok, ok, i forgot that we are already in may :dog:
so maybe 6 month is a realistic time
:clap:
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

duncanm wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:To Nudge any Event or note, select it and do one of the following:
Thanks a lot for this! Knew i should have at least tried the alt key!
Did you know that you can also nudge using the mouse wheel, if you have one. Just select one or more notes in the MIDI editor then scroll the mouse wheel over the last 2 digits of the Start field. To nudge further, scroll it over the 2nd-from-last 2 digits. You can use the scroll wheel to change the end, length, pitch, and velocity of the notes in the same way.

urlwolf wrote:Nope, bought flstudio
I thought to wait till I buy FLS then write the above :hihi:

The main reason for me is that there is no notation and I don't feel I'm missing something 'great' staying with S1v2.

Now FLS also doesn't have notation but the piano roll + the flexibility of the patterns and/or tracks are giving me a great composing tool. It's if you think about, a great arranger and scratch pad! The only drawback for me is that I need to learn the shortcuts and how to do specific things like midi and audio editing, automation and the mixer.

Anyone reading this thread to help decide whether to upgrade might like to read Studio One Expert's article: Studio One 3 Review - The Hits and Misses.

Just upgraded a few minutes ago.

Reasons I upgraded:

1. Extended Effects Chains
2. Multi-Instrument+FX Presets (i.e. proper multi-out Instrument Templates)
3. Copying a single effect across multiple channels with a single click+drag
4. More organized mixer (in terms of naming, locations, etc.)
5. Freely resizable mixer
6. GUI

Things I'll probably never use but will try to explore more:

1. Scratch Pad
2. Arranger

Things that are "nice to haves" that I'll also probably never use:

1. Mai Tai
2. Presence XT (honestly - why not focus resources elsewhere?)

Things I'm bummed about not getting:

1. Mixer Undo (this is my #1 request for a reason)
2. Notation/Staff View
3. Polarity Invert Button on Channels (Mixer View)
4. Independent Left/Right Panning on Stereo Tracks
5. Selectable Pan Laws
6. Freehand Tempo Drawing
7. Global Effects Bypass (so handy for switching from mixing to recording modes)
8. Mix Knob for Effects and Effect Chains
9. Faster workflow in the piano roll
10. Varispeed (though, I wasn't expecting this one at all, it would have been great)

I'm going to upgrade.
I was pretty harsh earlier for various reasons, being drunk might not have helped.
Recording to layers always expanding after recording bugs me.
Style of marketing bugs me.
I bug me. :D

Just little things

Scratch pad and arranger track is prefect for my work flow and something I have always asked for.
The tempo mapping sucks but even if was great, I shouldn't use it as it really adds another layer of complexity not needed

Yes! Bought the pro update the very first day.
resistance is futile. Check my latest mix: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=532758

e@rs wrote:I'm pretty sure they'll have a sale by the end of this year...

yup, I'm waiting for a sale before I do.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

LawrenceF wrote:
ls1xxx wrote:Can you Auto Quantize midi notes while recording? I didn't see this option in the last version.
Yep. There's a big "IQ" icon on the main toolbar, "Input Quantize", it's also on the Record Panel. It's always been there on the main toolbar, it's just a big button now...
@LawrenceF

You seem to know your way around Studio One better than most, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question.

In the MIDI editor/Piano Roll, Is it possible to select notes by pitch?

Say I want to edit the velocities of all the closed hi-hat notes in one go, can I select all f# notes at once, without marquee dragging?

I never found a way to do this in previous versions, so I'm wondering if it's in V3 - or maybe I just missed it.

I am no Lawrence, but.... :)

Yes you can do it, at least in version 2, by holding CTRL (on Windows) and then simply click the note you want in the piano roll.

Works rather nicely.
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

No. I keep v1.6, nothing that I need since that version. The DAW now it's a theme park as other DAWs; lots of useless stuff and no full support for hardware synths.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”