New Mai Tai synth, is it worth getting Studio One 3 (Artist/Pro) for?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mholloway wrote:but there is NO bundled synth on this planet worth buying an entire DAW for.
Logic Sculpture is, it was certainly one of the main factors in me buying Logic (and in moving to Mac). And the other factors were mainly some of the other synths and fx, particularly the B3 and Space Designer, so for me Logic is pretty much a sequencing environment for running a few great synths and fx.

Not a fan of OSX, but nobody can really argue with that at just $199 Logic comes with the best bundled content

Mai Tai is pretty good , simple use and good sounding.I love to use it on bass sound.

Mai Tai is like a cut-down version of u-he's Hive synth, or perhaps Sylenth1. A simple 2-osc+sub subtractive synth that seems to be able to do a nice warm, analog sound, and has enough modulation routing options to get a good range of sounds for most styles of music. Is it worth getting Studio One 3 for? No, not on its own. But add in all the other new features in S1 3 (14 pages worth according to the promo videos) then, probably, yes. I upgraded my Pro version 2 to version 3 and I hardly use Studio One. Yet. But it might very well become my number 1 DAW soon, given how many features it has that Ableton Live Suite is missing.

Off the top of my head, new in Studio One 3 Pro is:
New synth, Mai Tai
Upgrade of Presence to XT with a lot more sounds
A completely rewritten sound engine
Multi-instruments with multiple, split effects routing
Macro controls
The Scratch Pad
The Arranger Track
Resizable mixer
Coloured tracks
Rotor and Bitcrusher plugins
Automation curves
Tagged browsing
Note (MIDI) effects
Lots more audio samples and loops

Even though some of these features are just catch-ups available in other DAWS, I think it's well worth the upgrade price.

Not at all. It's a very good DAW synth but nobody would (or at least, should) purchase it just for the synth.

If Studio One V3 is appealing to you though it may be an added incentive.

Numanoid wrote:Not a fan of OSX, but nobody can really argue with that at just $199 Logic comes with the best bundled content
wow, I remember the days it used to be as expensive as Cubase, if not more.
Meh, not worth buying a mac for it, for me.

mholloway wrote:It sounds great.

It's pretty standard in terms of functionality, though the 'character' section really helps for adding, well, character. It functions basically the same as the 'Osc FX' in Zebra 2

It's damn CPU intensive.

It's not worth buying an entire DAW for -- but there is NO bundled synth on this planet worth buying an entire DAW for.

-M
FL Studio Signature bundle. You get Sytrus, Harmless, Maximus, Gross Beat. And you can use them as VSTs.

1st Video about Mai Tai Synthesizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRlRdxvua5M
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

aMUSEd wrote:
mholloway wrote:but there is NO bundled synth on this planet worth buying an entire DAW for.
Logic Sculpture is, it was certainly one of the main factors in me buying Logic (and in moving to Mac). And the other factors were mainly some of the other synths and fx, particularly the B3 and Space Designer, so for me Logic is pretty much a sequencing environment for running a few great synths and fx.
I was going to say the the same thing. Sculpture is such a unique and awesome synth. All the Logic synths are great actually.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

MillerSam wrote:1st Video about Mai Tai Synthesizer

Thx for that. Certainly sounds respectable.

mholloway wrote:
It's not worth buying an entire DAW for -- but there is NO bundled synth on this planet worth buying an entire DAW for.
Not even Logics?

So far what makes me most interested in upgrading is the arranger track. I am poor so am considering selling Live 9 suite, I wonder what it is going for? The arranger track basically puts in what I really need, and I don't make much music any more, I don't think I need more than one DAW anymore.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

e@rs wrote:it's quite CPU hungry.
That is the GAS killer

Return to “Instruments”