Omnisphere bug - anyone else not able to type the space bar character?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does everyone else have the problem in REAPER that the space bar isn't intercepted when you're trying to type into a text box in Omnisphere? It happens in v1 & v2 in both REAPER x86 and x64.

Attempt to type "warm pad" and before you hit 'p', DAW starts playback because the spacebar hasn't been captured, but instead passed through to the host.

I emailed Spectrasonics about it, but no reply. They don't seem to be good a replying to customer issues of any kind, so it seems...
Dax Liniere - producer | mixer | engineer - London

Actually, this might be a Reaper thing. I don't own Omnisphere, but several of the plugins that I have do this too. I try to type a preset name, or edit text descriptions on a patch, and it starts playback instead.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Thanks for the reply, AJ.
It's not something that I've seen with any other plugin in REAPER and I use it on average 8-12 hours a day 6 days a week for about 4 years now.

Wait! I was just reading here and even though I don't own Spire, it worked in a few other plugins!

Try shift+space. Never thought it might be that simple. :dog:

If shift+space actually works, while it may be a workaround, it isn't a solution, that's a terrible bug to have in Reaper (presuming it's Reaper and not Omnisphere).

This is not a bug but a feature... and one, which makes perfectly sense...

While for most people it isn´t that hard to type Shift+Space instead for naming something in a plugin, it´s a pita if your are used to press space for start and stop of the sequencer like I do... and Reaper is one of the only ones, in which that even works with a plugin in front stealing badly the keyboard focus...

I hope, more developers would implement the space bar like this and in Reaper it will never change...

Found another option, Reaper-specific.
1. Click on Omnisphere in the fx list so it is highlighted.
2. Under the "FX" menu at the top of the window, click "Send all keyboard input to plugin".

This seems to solve the issue with all plugins I've tried. It will start playback with the space unless there is a textbox open. In that case it let you type text normally.

It's also plugin-specific, so you can check/uncheck the option for each one down your fx chain.

Trancit wrote:This is not a bug but a feature... and one, which makes perfectly sense...

While for most people it isn´t that hard to type Shift+Space instead for naming something in a plugin, it´s a pita if your are used to press space for start and stop of the sequencer like I do... and Reaper is one of the only ones, in which that even works with a plugin in front stealing badly the keyboard focus...

I hope, more developers would implement the space bar like this and in Reaper it will never change...
So you want to be able to start and stop the sequencer when typing into a text box? Surely they can make it so that the space bar works as a space bar when editing text, and otherwise it starts and stops the song? It doesn't have to be one or the other...

Edit: hadn't read the previous post... which solves the whole problem.

I keep pressing alt+0+3+2 for a space char.

AJYoung wrote:Found another option, Reaper-specific.
1. Click on Omnisphere in the fx list so it is highlighted.
2. Under the "FX" menu at the top of the window, click "Send all keyboard input to plugin".
Thanks for your reply, AJYoung.
I don't even see that option in REAPER. Are you using PC or Mac, and REAPER 4 or one of the v5 pre-releases?

jk-cream2 wrote:I keep pressing alt+0+3+2 for a space char.
Haha! Nice one, JK Cream. Very funny. :) We're talking about IMPROVING the user experience! :)

I'm on windows, v4.78 (latest update). This is what I'm talking about:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You learn something new everyday.

Trancit wrote:This is not a bug but a feature... and one, which makes perfectly sense...

Orion does this, its fuckin annoying.

Kriminal wrote: Orion does this, its fuckin annoying.
FL Studio doesn´t do this...it´s fuckin´annoying...

How can it be something good, if a plugin steals keyboard focus for every key as soon as it is in front???

Say you are working on a sequence triggering a synth like Synthmaster (which i.e. steals the keyboard focus entirely)...
You´ve got the synth´s GUI open to adjust some parameters and you want to playback your little sequence from time to time to see how it sounds, but you want to have the sequence stop as long as you do some more complex work on your synth patch...

In Reaper no problem... Synthmaster GUI open and spacebar works for starting stoping the sequencer...
I.e. in FL Studio, spacebar doesn´t work anymore... everytime you want it to make it work, you have to bring FLS itself back in focus... as soon as you touch the Synthmasters GUI the spacebar stops working...
Only way in FLS to stop this, is to set in the wrapper, that the plugin doesn´t receive keyboard messages anymore... and you know what: if you set this, mouse wheel support stops as well on this plugin...

Only in case that you want to know, what´s annoying...

Return to “Instruments”