Help me find a backup DAW that doesn't need online activation

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a DAW that doesn't need internet to activate this will be my back-up DAW just incase i lose internet access and have to reinstall my laptop i don't drive so going to wi-fi spots is just to much trouble better to just have a daw i can just put serial numbers in for until i can get my main DAW(Cubase )up and running again thanks ahead of time for suggestions.

reaper

Podium - doesn't even need a serial number.

Studio One supports offline activation so as long as you're re-installing to the same computer you could just save the offline activation file and reuse it when re-installing.

Just out of interest, why would you need internet access to get Cubase up and running? Once the license has been installed on the eLicenser it doesn't need any further access to the internet.
Last edited by KingClarkie on Mon May 25, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Logic Pro X

You only need access to download th app, or update the app. Once it is on your hard drive, you can copy it or restore a backup from another drive without reauthorizing.
The only authorization is the at the time you actually purchase the app rom the app store, or when you re-download the app from the App Store.

No fear of losing or damaging a dongle, or any other clumsy authorization procedures to go through.
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

KingClarkie wrote:Podium - doesn't even need a serial number.

Studio One supports offline activation so as long as you're re-installing to the same computer you could just save the offline activation file and reuse it when re-installing.

Just out of interest, why would you need internet access to get Cubase up and running? Once the license has been installed on the eLicenser it doesn't need any further access to the internet.
i had my laptop hardrive crash and had to buy another drive, my internet was down in my area (bellsouth/at&T)
and it made me realize that i needed a backup daw for just that case

KingClarkie wrote:Podium - doesn't even need a serial number.

i had my laptop hardrive crash and had to buy another drive, my internet was down in my area (bellsouth/at&T)
and it made me realize that i needed a backup daw for just that case

cubase ai7 needs internet to reactivate

Check out limitations of free mode, pretty nice for laptop and hands on, give it a go, it's really nice :tu:
http://www.mutools.com/mulab-product.html

If you're on Windows go with FL Studio. Download the latest installer for the product, then download your personal regkey file which unlocks the products you own. Save those files to a USB drive. When you're putting them on a new computer all you need to do is install the software then install your regkey, no internet access necessary to activate it.

Full instructions can be found here: http://support.image-line.com/knowledge ... php?ans=77

Also keep in mind that FL Studio has lifetime free updates. So you should never have to buy a new "backup DAW".

ere2learn wrote:reaper
+1
Inexpensive (for almost everyone), very stable, you get two major revisions when you purchase, uses a key to register. It also doesn't come with anything but the DAW so it's small: download is about 15MB and installed is about 30MB.
Feel free to call me Brian.

I own Reaper and FL Studio and use them on a pc that's never online.

I would have suggested Cubase but you already got that (as the license could be installed to the eLicenser on another computer). Reaper could be another option indeed.

I also got a few other hosts but those need internet activation.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Tracktion has a system for offline authorisation.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Samplitude Pro X2 allows offline activation as well.

xenophobic wrote:cubase ai7 needs internet to reactivate
Rather than buy another DAW you could just buy an eLicenser dongle and transfer the AI license to it. That way the license is independent of any machine and you could carry on using Cubase after a reinstall or even on a different machine.

I chose Cubase Elements as my primary DAW because it allows both software and USB licensing. I've transferred the license to a dongle so I can reinstall whenever I want without having to reactivate. If anything happens to the dongle I can use the 30-trial version of Elements to keep going until I get a replacement or export my projects for use elesewhere. The trial version doesn't need internet access to set up so it's like a poor-mans 'zero-downtime' :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”