Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

OnTheFly wrote:
sfd wrote:Like in the LittleOne - the emulation of Moog's Little Pathy?
Yes and No.
In littleone there is 2 page buttons, but they are no good.

cons:
they are not midi assignable (well, i tested this in ableton and when i tried midi map them via "configure" button nothing happened)
they cycle between one parameter at a time on tiny "display" (and shame this parametres are not midi assignable too), when i suggest cycle between operators.
there is 2 of them
electro wrote:This kind of thing is handled by multiple "pages" on the MIDI controller. Otherwise you limit the amount of control others can have.
Yes, I agree with you about using "pages". If nothing will happen, i will have to open lovely program called ENIGMA and change midi config on fisrt 6 "pages".
But how my suggestion limit the amount if control others can have?
Not sure I follow.

I don't have LittleOne in front of me . But out of my head:

For example. You've 4 knobs and 4 buttons. You can assing the knobs (not sure about the buttons). Enable the first button and the 4 knobs will represent the ADSR. Switch to another button and the knobs are now the filter parameters..and so on.

I thougt it was something liek that you requested?

A technical issue side note: I recently noticed that Reaper would behave very strange in one particular song. As soon as I set Dexed to offline, everything worked as usual (read: like butter).
What exactly could be the culprit? Do I have to look at the interaction with other VSTi's? Weird buffer sizes?
Thanks!

sfd wrote:For example. You've 4 knobs and 4 buttons. You can assing the knobs (not sure about the buttons). Enable the first button and the 4 knobs will represent the ADSR. Switch to another button and the knobs are now the filter parameters..and so on.

I thougt it was something liek that you requested?
Yes, something like that.
Imagine 1 knob instead 4 buttons. As you rotate this knob you move between options that 4 another knobs will represent...

That's what I like with LittleOne.
It's a good idea. Personally I would prefer buttons instead of knobs for switching functions. But yes - when there are so many paramenters it's indeed a good idea. I can imagine it would be pretty time consuming to creat this. Maybe for a future version. Well, hopefully :-)

Dexed 0.9 ; with the Cartridge Manager is -almost- there...

This version now supports Apple AU.

With the cartridge manager, simply put your ".syx" cartridge in the directory then hit "Refresh". Double click to load it or simply click on it to see what programs are available. Those programs can be loaded (without having to load the cartridge) by double clicking on the program. You can also drag program between the loaded cartridge and the currently browsed cartridge. Vive le drag and drop. Send cartridge/program by using the right click button. I'm not too happy with the UI, but I'm sure AZ will have time to help me later.

The store button now ask if you want to also save the sysex file.

Coarse and fine button now shows the right value. Middle-C now shows something meaningful.

This is the beta, just check if I haven't introduced NEW bugs... the old one will be addressed in the next version; that will focus on the engine; I know there are important checkup on the feedback level... and the external modulation.

http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dex ... ta-osx.zip
http://le-son666.com/software/dexed/dex ... ta-win.zip

If everything is positive, the official (non beta) version will be available next week.

Great job! I was just playing with Dexed today thinking what a great sounding and aesthetically nice looking synth it is.

Quite a large amount of carts that worked in 0.8.0 Dexed are now throwing up a warning, some carts are also not opening at all anymore.
:tu: All is good

Is there a list of addressed issues?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Could I just ask why there is a filter on Dexed ? My DX7 never had one. If this is an emulation of the DX7 surely this should be removed for the final version. Not putting the vst down, it's an awesome bit of kit, but really, why is it there please ?

Patrick.

Great work with the new cart manager! Is it possible to get the "Dexed_cart.zip" into the manager without unzipping all the thousands of .syx files (just keep the zip?)

AutoMotto wrote:Could I just ask why there is a filter on Dexed ? My DX7 never had one. If this is an emulation of the DX7 surely this should be removed for the final version. Not putting the vst down, it's an awesome bit of kit, but really, why is it there please ?

Patrick.

I find it handy. Can remove some of the inherent shrillness that a lot of FM patches can have.

NI's FM8 adds a lot of nice features to the original DX7 Algorithm. I do like what they did and maybe some future sibling of Dexed might go in this direction. AFAIK, FM8 still can load original DX7 sysex files, though.

Right now I use Reaper to combine multiple Dexed instances and additional filters and effects to create an instrument of choice. (e.g. a Vibraphone and a church organ, as I like "natural" sounds.)

-Michael

Error loading FXP/FXB files in Reaper and Cubase SX3 (Win XP).
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

EvilDragon wrote:
AutoMotto wrote:Could I just ask why there is a filter on Dexed ? My DX7 never had one. If this is an emulation of the DX7 surely this should be removed for the final version. Not putting the vst down, it's an awesome bit of kit, but really, why is it there please ?

Patrick.

I find it handy. Can remove some of the inherent shrillness that a lot of FM patches can have.
As long as it defaults to 100% bypassed and does not interfere with the reading/writing of DX7.syx files, there should be no real harm.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

DrewDale wrote:Quite a large amount of carts that worked in 0.8.0 Dexed are now throwing up a warning, some carts are also not opening at all anymore.
I need names of the .syx file that works in the 0.8.0 and doesn't 0.9.0 so I can debug this.
electro wrote:Is there a list of addressed issues?
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed/tree/work-0.8.1
Iu Gob wrote:Error loading FXP/FXB files in Reaper and Cubase SX3 (Win XP).
What version were you using before ? Was it the stock 0.8.0 ? If you used the 'OSC' versions there might be compatibility issues...
electro wrote:As long as it defaults to 100% bypassed and does not interfere with the reading/writing of DX7.syx files, there should be no real harm.
If it is set to the maximum, yes the filter is bypassed.

Return to “Instruments”