Soft Synths Whose Presets Don't Do Them Justice

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Xenos wrote:Interesting discussion, here. Kinda confirms my belief that a large part of the difference between "good" and "bad" presets comes down to individual taste and genre preferences. EDM fans should check out Kevin Schroeder and Ayn Zahev. Their work in U-he Hive is highly impressive, particularly the lead sounds. Howard Scarr has a very "retro" style with an added experimental side, which I like a lot. He clearly knows sound synthesis really well and has many years of experience in it, but I can see how his style might not appeal to a lot of EDM producers or dubstep fans looking for wob wob basses. Ed Ten Eck and Micheal Adle really wowed me with their ambient soundscapes and sound effects/noise loops, but again, not everyone wants soundscapes and atmospheres.

I personally listen to a wide variety of different electronic music - ambient, underground dubstep, oldies, experimental soundscapes, trap, hard techno, etc. In theory, any sound can work in any style, but in practice, there is a strong tendency toward different conventions for different styles. Personal tastes goes beyond just genres, though. Most people have a preference for smooth and pleasing textures, but there is a subset who enjoy rough and noisy tone colors. You can't please everybody lol.
But you can make everyone miserable. So, that's what I go for. ;)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
Xenos wrote:Interesting discussion, here. Kinda confirms my belief that a large part of the difference between "good" and "bad" presets comes down to individual taste and genre preferences. EDM fans should check out Kevin Schroeder and Ayn Zahev. Their work in U-he Hive is highly impressive, particularly the lead sounds. Howard Scarr has a very "retro" style with an added experimental side, which I like a lot. He clearly knows sound synthesis really well and has many years of experience in it, but I can see how his style might not appeal to a lot of EDM producers or dubstep fans looking for wob wob basses. Ed Ten Eck and Micheal Adle really wowed me with their ambient soundscapes and sound effects/noise loops, but again, not everyone wants soundscapes and atmospheres.

I personally listen to a wide variety of different electronic music - ambient, underground dubstep, oldies, experimental soundscapes, trap, hard techno, etc. In theory, any sound can work in any style, but in practice, there is a strong tendency toward different conventions for different styles. Personal tastes goes beyond just genres, though. Most people have a preference for smooth and pleasing textures, but there is a subset who enjoy rough and noisy tone colors. You can't please everybody lol.
:lol:
Ha ha suck it!

zerocrossing wrote:

Dude, you just gave me a cool idea! "Share The Pain" for NI Massive? :P 64 noisy and harsh sounding soundscapes and rhythmic sequences. Probably wouldn't be a big seller, but it'd definitely make for some interesting experiments.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

cryophonik wrote:Zebra comes immediately to mind. One of the best synths ever, but the factory presets don't do it justice IMO (not including the Dark Zebra presets). It has a lot of decent bread-n-butter stuff, but nothing that really wows me.
+1,000

Never understood the hype until I took the time to really dig in and build my patches. Then I was like, "Ahhhhh, I GET IT NOW."

Presets are incredibly bland, generic bread n butter stuff.

mholloway wrote:
cryophonik wrote:Zebra comes immediately to mind. One of the best synths ever, but the factory presets don't do it justice IMO (not including the Dark Zebra presets). It has a lot of decent bread-n-butter stuff, but nothing that really wows me.
+1,000

Never understood the hype until I took the time to really dig in and build my patches. Then I was like, "Ahhhhh, I GET IT NOW."

Presets are incredibly bland, generic bread n butter stuff.
It must be my deodorant. I mention that I don't like Zebra's presets and I get called a snob and every other name in the book and am practically read the riot act.

Anybody else says the same thing...nothing.

I really gotta try a new brand. :help:

wagtunes wrote: As for talking smack about Howard Scarr, I've done no such thing. I simply said I don't like Zebra's presets.
No, you said...........
wagtunes wrote: It boggles my mind how so many great sounding synths, Zebra 2 included, come with the worst presets that don't even begin to do the synth justice. It's like the synth maker itself was too lazy to create something useful.
That's talking smack whether you realize it or not...........
wagtunes wrote:Ultimately, if you're trying to get a rise out of me, you're not..
I'm simply giving you back a little of what you've dished out. Can't handle it ? Go have lunch with Obama.
wagtunes wrote:It must be my deodorant.:
No it's your attitude....... :wink:

Anyway I'm on the road right now and don't have time to keep up with this thread so party on...... :party:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I like some of the FX-style presets in Zebra, and there are other besides that I think are really good. However, I've heard some amazing things done with that synth that make those presets look pretty meh.

But, this is coming from a person who just can't get into Zebra. I know, I'm a mutant.
Ha ha suck it!

I've just been going through the Zebra factory presets again trying to understand where all the hate is coming from but I can't see the problem, they are not at all 'bread and butter' - some are very interesting and innovative (I especially like the comb filter ones like HS Lithophany which is one of my alltime favourite Zebra patches). I remember when Zebra first came out the factory bank then was a bit of a mixed bag, but since 2.5 it's had some excellent additions, particularly the 10th anniversary patches. People may not find them all to their taste but calling the sound design 'lazy' is just petty and totally inaccurate.

aMUSEd wrote:I've just been going through the Zebra factory presets again and I can't see the problem, they are not at all 'bread and butter' - some are very interesting (I especially like the comb filter ones) and innovative. I remember when Zebra first came out the factory bank then was a bit of a mixed bag, but since 2.5 it's had some excellent additions, particularly the 10th anniversary patches. People may not find them all to their taste but calling the sound design 'lazy' is just petty and totally inaccurate.
I agree with that, the Anniversary stuff is pretty darn good overall. In fact, I think I'll break the Zebra out for some preset fun...
Ha ha suck it!

I have to put XILS 4 into the "presets that are especially inspiring for programming". Quite a few of those presets really can get me into that synth, and that's not the world's easiest synth to get into, at least imo.
Ha ha suck it!

Kriminal wrote:All of them

All of them is right.

Especially rapture.

Synthmaster is scattered but decent.

Sylenth is cool.

Zeta 2 pretty meat.

Nothing really suitd me do. Do
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

As the dev. of EuterpeXL I'm afraid I have to agree on that one.
I made the presets online searchable for all users to have the presets more collaborately than from single source (dev). I kind of overestimated how much presets the users would made, that with bad sales. A bit of a catch 22 I suppose.
Hmm.. Idea ,maybe hold some kind of preset making competition and give the best preset makes a license?
It could prehaps work.
/D

[quote="Passing Bye"]EuterpeXL for sure :tu:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/euterpexl-by-guda-audio
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Apostate wrote:I have to put XILS 4 into the "presets that are especially inspiring for programming". Quite a few of those presets really can get me into that synth, and that's not the world's easiest synth to get into, at least imo.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

wagtunes wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:So ... a lot of synths seem to need ... soundbanks 8)
Yeah, sure keeps me busy. Of course I don't cater to the masses and my soundbanks are more retro than modern so there's that. But I make what I enjoy and if others also enjoy it, great. If not, that's cool too.

I do this because it's fun and not to make a gazillion dollars doing it.
Welcome to the club.

Different Sound Designers will make different presets. And that's it. I see here that some SD presets are discussed : Music is about differences. As life. Can you imagine a world where people would be obliged to do music with the same and only 128 'best' presets decided by 'those who know better than others' ? I don't. A preset can be good good for you, and less for someone else. :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Simon Stockhausen, Eric Persing, Howard Scarr, Rob Papen, John Lehmkuhl, Scott Frankfurt, Dave Spiers, Matt Bowdler, etc, etc. I am so grateful for outstanding preset programmers! And IMO, we are lucky to have these talented people in our community. :love:

Return to “Instruments”