Dune 2 or impOSCar 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would say imposcar2 is good for simple sounds, with classic tones.
The resonance is the best, and envelopes are especially good.
Dune2 is great for modern sounds and complex tones.
It can do more diverse sounds, and is really great imo.
It has way more features than imposcar2.
I think its only weakness is that it doesn't have the resonance filter of imposcar.

JerGoertz wrote:I'm looking to do music where the synths sound "as analog in an oldschool way as possible" (without opening "that" can of worms :hihi:).

I guess I already knew they are both high quality.

Can you guys give me an idea of in which ways they differ, soundwise?
In that case it's definitely imposcar2 all the way.
It can do those classic sounds exceptionally well.
...so long as it has my soundset for it. (plugplug-nudgenudge)
(j/k)

I guess it would make more sense to mention a few songs with such "old-skool" sounds because old-skool means different things to different people. The Jupiter 8 had a very different sound than the Yamaha CS-80 or a Minimoog.

I was listening to the song Lady Lady by Joe Esposito earlier today, it has typical old-skool sounds in my view. And frankly, I think you can do those sounds with any good plugin. I guess I could do that song convincingly with Sylenth alone if I had to :)

I don't know if old hardware synth also sounded a bit thin without chorus or similar effects, but most plugins only seem to sound good when you stack 2, 3 or 4 waves per oscillator, which of course was not possible with most hardware. A single software wave seems to sound less lively somehow, hence you need more than one or an effect. At least that is my impression with Sylenth, Saurus, etc.

dune2 :)

Dune 2 + Imposcar 2 = Hive?

Seriously, as a best of both worlds solution it's worth looking at.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

yemski wrote:Dune 2 + Imposcar 2 = Hive?

Hive isnt really 'analogue' or 'old school'

Kriminal wrote:

You'd be surprised at how retro Hive can get. Having programmed a lot of sounds for Hive recently, I'd say that it's a lot more flexible than it would first appear and capable of a wide range of timbres, including "retro" or "old school" ones. Like Dune 2, if you dig deep you'll be surprised by what you can get.

As a sort of mid-point between two very different synths Hive would be where I would go. However, if analogue or old school is all you're looking for then Imposcar 2 would be the choice over Dune 2. I don't think comparing these two synths is a good idea anyway. But if asked for something that represented a sort of interstice between two radically different synths I'd go with Hive
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Oddity 2 might also be a good choice, utterly old-skool in a good way, and a bit unconventional and different from most VA synths :)

Heh, I already have and love Oddity 2, it's a great synth.

I've decided to go with impOSCar 2.

Thanks for everyone's input! :)
A well-behaved signature.

One thing about iposcar 2 is it has it's own sound and there's nothing quite like it out there. And with its the unison you can make some massive sounds. Interface is a bit weird at first just like the original synth, but once you get used to it it's really ez to program.

It's cool for bass, leads and pads (or most stuff really). :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

yemski wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

You'd be surprised at how retro Hive can get. Having programmed a lot of sounds for Hive recently, I'd say that it's a lot more flexible than it would first appear and capable of a wide range of timbres, including "retro" or "old school" ones. Like Dune 2, if you dig deep you'll be surprised by what you can get.

As a sort of mid-point between two very different synths Hive would be where I would go. However, if analogue or old school is all you're looking for then Imposcar 2 would be the choice over Dune 2. I don't think comparing these two synths is a good idea anyway. But if asked for something that represented a sort of interstice between two radically different synths I'd go with Hive
Thats not what the OP asked for. He specifically asked for 'analogue' and 'old school'

Kriminal wrote:
yemski wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

Thats not what the OP asked for. He specifically asked for 'analogue' and 'old school'
impOSCAR II is definitely the right choice. Diva would be the best option re. the U-he synths. HIVE is great but probably not the best choice for OP imo. But it does sound very good.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

fluffy_little_something wrote:I guess it would make more sense to mention a few songs with such "old-skool" sounds because old-skool means different things to different people. The Jupiter 8 had a very different sound than the Yamaha CS-80 or a Minimoog.

I was listening to the song Lady Lady by Joe Esposito earlier today, it has typical old-skool sounds in my view. And frankly, I think you can do those sounds with any good plugin. I guess I could do that song convincingly with Sylenth alone if I had to :)

I don't know if old hardware synth also sounded a bit thin without chorus or similar effects, but most plugins only seem to sound good when you stack 2, 3 or 4 waves per oscillator, which of course was not possible with most hardware. A single software wave seems to sound less lively somehow, hence you need more than one or an effect. At least that is my impression with Sylenth, Saurus, etc.
Some of those old synths had a slight detuning of the voices which when played polyphonic could lead to a "big" sound without using a Chorus. In the OB-X it was also possible to set the panning for each of the voices (same posible with the OBXD plugin).

Famous hardware synths like e.g. Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 and OB-x rarely seemed to sound "thin" in most cases...

In U-He Diva at the advanced features you could also set detuning and Pan for all of the voices and also the amount of voice drifting. A similar feature is also included with e.g. Arturia Matrix 12 V.

Anyway a good sounding Chorus FX could be great for any synth and in the past external Chorus FXs (including FX pedals originaly done for guitars) seemed to be used quite often, same about a Phaser like the famous Small Stone (i got the Arts Acoustic Big Rock that emulates this). A great Chorus plugin is the free TAL Chorus-LX (same Chorus as in TAL U-NO-LX but with additional features).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Old synths sounded like crap without FX. My Moog and ARPs were garbage, IMO. I never understood how they sounded so good on record and so bad in my home studio, which at the time was a Teac A3440 4 channel recorder. It wasn't until I started added on "stuff" that these things sounded "good."

Some synths sound better than others. Some actually sound quite good dry. But to some extent I agree with one of the posters here (forgot which one) who said that it's the FX that make the sound because a lot of the old hardware was thin and terrible.

And I still have my old Moog so i can drag it out of the basement if I have to, record it live and dry so you can hear just how horrible it really sounds.

wagtunes wrote:Old synths sounded like crap without FX. My Moog and ARPs were garbage, IMO. I never understood how they sounded so good on record and so bad in my home studio, which at the time was a Teac A3440 4 channel recorder. It wasn't until I started added on "stuff" that these things sounded "good."

Some synths sound better than others. Some actually sound quite good dry. But to some extent I agree with one of the posters here (forgot which one) who said that it's the FX that make the sound because a lot of the old hardware was thin and terrible.

And I still have my old Moog so i can drag it out of the basement if I have to, record it live and dry so you can hear just how horrible it really sounds.
Totally agree with you. I'll be happy to help :help: you to get rid of that horrible sounding Moog of yours. Just sell it to me for a vile price, and you'll have some spare room for good sounding things.

Don't thank me. I'll do this ... for you :party: :hug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”