Ranking DAW makers with biggest financial backing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was just wondering how you guys would rank the companies out now in terms of biggest financial backing and resources. I was just curious about this. What do you think:
1. Apple-Logic
2. Steinberg-Yamaha
3.??????

I'm not sure where to put Presonus-Studio One, NI-Maschine, Gibason-Cakewalk. How would you guys rank them?

Protools should come 3rd but the rumor is that they are not that solid financially now. They were suspended from Nasdaq a few years back.

The rest are pretty small compared, maybe the 4th place would go to Ableton Live.
dedication to flying

I think it's more about if they are willing to invest in the daw product only.

Is there a stronger player than Apple otherwise, moneywise....but how is Logic doing?
None of the big players care about anything but money.

Avid and Apple are listed on stockmarkets - just read reports about general status.
Some even huge companies - in another field - like IKEA - is not listed on any stockmarket to mention one.

Don't know how Sony and Magix fit it either - if owned by bigger companies.

I would say Steinberg-Yamaha are the most dedicated to the development of their DAWs. They seem to be constantly updating features, fixing bugs and from what I hear listening to their customers. Cubase is starting to look really tempting these days.
I'm unsure how Avid's subscription model will play out, and Apple seem to be putting more effort into Logic, I just wish they had better PR with their customers.
dj styleee

djstyleee wrote:I would say Steinberg-Yamaha are the most dedicated to the development of their DAWs. They seem to be constantly updating features, fixing bugs and from what I hear listening to their customers. Cubase is starting to look really tempting these days.
I feel exactly that way - but about Cakewalk and Sonar...the new update model with something released monthly, at least so far, is astonishing. Three updates since this started and 25+50+50 listed fixes/improvements so far, and next week another one. I feel they work harder than anyone.

Then if Gibson had to inject any capital in doing this, I don't know.
How they are doing, don't know that either.
But I hope it pays off - because Sonar is a stunning daw in my view.

Justin Frankel made a $h!t-ton selling WinAmp to AOL which I imagine bankrolled the Cockos/Reaper empire. Not the same as the big corps but a big chunk of change.

for german based companys you can always look up the annual financial reports, since they all are corporations that have to publish their stats.

I thought Gibson was going to destroy Cakewalk, but it's better than.... probably the best it's ever been as far as updates and customer communication. Fixing the MIDI engine in the last update was needed for a long time, and now it's done. Lots of other fixes, and some of these are based on direct feedback from the forum.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Resonant- Serpent wrote:I thought Gibson was going to destroy Cakewalk, but it's better than.... probably the best it's ever been as far as updates and customer communication. Fixing the MIDI engine in the last update was needed for a long time, and now it's done. Lots of other fixes, and some of these are based on direct feedback from the forum.

Better now...but wait and see. If you recall, this same optimism surfaced at Cakewalk for the 1st few months of the Roland era as well - actually, more so, with strong hints of a "super synth", promises of incredible hardware integration ("hey - we're with Roland"!), happy forums lovingly moderated by the actual developers, the 'X' series as the future of the modern DAW, etc. etc. I don't know how great things are at Cakewalk atm.; you have to wonder after the shoddy update of Rapture & Dim Pro ("Rap Pro")...like, where's all that money going? QA?
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

Resonant- Serpent wrote:I thought Gibson was going to destroy Cakewalk, but it's better than.... probably the best it's ever been as far as updates and customer communication. Fixing the MIDI engine in the last update was needed for a long time, and now it's done.
If I may ask, what about the MIDI engine got fixed?

(I got Sonar X3e shortly before the new business model took hold. I've not had time to explore it too deeply, but found after maybe 50 hours or so of use, that so far, by and large, it's quite stable and serviceable -- more so than any DAW I've had in some time. For that reason, I didn't want to tempt fate and upgrade, as in the past, e.g with Studio One, I've found that updates introduced new bugs for me ... enough to drive me into the arms of Cakewalk. In other words, haven't wished to fix something that ain't obvioulsly broke)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Winstontaneous wrote: bankrolled the Cockos/Reaper empire.
So it is an Empire? What's in a word :D

Resonant- Serpent wrote:I thought Gibson was going to destroy Cakewalk, but it's better than.... probably the best it's ever been as far as updates and customer communication. Fixing the MIDI engine in the last update was needed for a long time, and now it's done. Lots of other fixes, and some of these are based on direct feedback from the forum.
That's cool, I love Gibson guitars but the company has buried a few others with shoddy management etc.
Notably another DAW they bought Opcode Studio Vision.

Isn't Sony larger than Yamaha?

It's easy if you know how

Ranking DAW makers with biggest financial backing?
Who gives a rat's ass?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”