Ableton Push - Can't select user samples from Push browser?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello I got Ableton Live Push a couple of days ago and I think it's great in many ways but as I delve deeper in to the features I'm finding that I'm needing to look at the computer and use the mouse a lot more than I'd have liked. It's all good if your just using the stock Ableton synths and FX but I have found that I cannot load my own audio/clips direct from Push (places) where I have my own audio samples and loops stored. I tried putting them in the user library but still the Push browser won't see them unless I create a simpler/sampler and load my sample using the mouse on the macbook pro then saving the instrument. This is the only way I can get Push to see my samples in it's browser and I don't want to do that.

Is there something I'm missing here? I browse places and my audio files should be there but they don't show, all I see is the Instruments etc. I don't wanna have to load my clips/loops to drum pads or a simpler/sampler I just wanna create a new audio track from Push and then drag in my loop or select sampler on a midi track and drag in a one shot or multi-samples, unless I'm missing something I just can't find a way as of yet.

I have a feeling that I am gonna have to drag all the samples in to simpler/sampler and save them before I can actually work with them in Push, hope that's not the case or this means that you do really need a screen + mouse to use Push unless you use their stock plug ins which is a real pain. The videos I watched before buying Push were pretty cool but they don't say that you can't select simple audio from the Push browser so basically these videos of sets online have all been pre done due to not being able to drag simple audio files in to Live direct from Push.

Will this be solved in future updates? This is a great product IMO and easy to use only after a day or so but the user sample import direct from Push issue is a bummer for me. Of course I could be wrong and might be missing something so id anyone knows how to drag in user audio files and clips direct from the Push browser without a mouse then please let me know. I don't want to even look at the screen when I turn on Push but I'm having to do so every time.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

you are right there is no easy way of loading samples/loops via Push´s browser.
You can´t load samples/loops to Audiotracks. The number one feature request since day one :wink:

However, you can browse your own samples without saving a sampler/simpler instrument in first place.

How to:

Put some samples/folders into your "User Library" -> aka Places (Push browser)

1. Load an empty drumrack
2. On Push -> select "EmptyPd" -> Hit "Browse" -> my Push shows "Bell" as first category.
3. On Push -> scroll down -> scroll till "Places"
-> you should now see your Samples/Samplefolders you have put into your "User Library" and all Live "Packs" Samples
4. Select your sample and load it -> an Sampler/Simpler Instrument with your sample gets loaded.

There is also a "Samples" category where you can select Live´s library samples + User-Library samples. They´re all over the place :)
I don´t know, but i think i depends where you put your samples in the first place.

You can open all types of audio files (Wav/Rex etc) this way.

Have fun.
Last edited by fugazi81 on Sun May 24, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi and thanks for the info.. It's all good doing that with one shots etc but I don't want to load audio/clips on to a drum rack pad cause that's even more editing needed. I'm ok with saving single shots etc to simpler/samplers but it's my top loops and clips I'm wanting to drag straight to an audio track I create. I already have all my samples dragged in to the "user library" now and am testing stuff out.

So far in order to use my own loops/clips in Push is if I drag them over with the mouse, only then can I add FX from the Push browser. Do you know if Ableton is going to fix the audio import issue? I thought Push was there so I didn't have to touch my mouse or look at my screen but I'm constantly using mine as I'm only using my own samples so in order to do a set I have to set it all up first before playing. Thanks again for the reply, will do some more importing of samples and save today.

Other than this audio/clip import issue I really like Push.

Rob

Hi Rob,

yeah that was a real show stopper for me, too.

I can´t tell you if they will ever fix this /add this but they didn´t do it until now and they didn´t do it in the upcoming 9.2 beta.

fugazi81 wrote:Hi Rob,

I can´t tell you if they will ever fix this /add this but they didn´t do it until now and they didn´t do it in the upcoming 9.2 beta.
Yeah it's not in the beta as I have it here. The beta 9.2 is solid here though, love the new tuner plug in. So all I'm doing now is saving my 1 shot house stabs to a sampler and saving them as instruments and it's all good. Shame about the loops though I'll have to drag these in manually in the mouse. I'm putting the one shots in sampler cause the simpler doesn't have my features. I have mich work to do here dragging, saving and naming stuff but should be done in a week or so lol. Will just leave the top loops I did for the pack in the user library and drag with mouse as needed.

Thanks again

Rob

Ok this is very frustrating now. In all the videos Iv'e watched It showed that there's no need to even look at your computer screen or use the mouse once you have PUSH fired up. This is not true when it comes to using your own samples and even worse when you want to browse and load your own audio/clips. I had never read in to the flaws of PUSH before purchasing it, although I think it's great it fails when claims are made that you don't need to look at your computer, sure this is the case if your just using the stock instruments etc but come on Ableton even Maschine lets you browse and select audio and EDIT from your places/hard drives directly etc.
My drum loops don't even show up in places after adding folders in the side bar unless I drag each one in and save to an instrument first. I'm more concerned about audio tracks here though and the PUSH browser.

The problem is you can load your audio on to a Drumrack pad but that's no good loading a clip or a loop there, sure it's fine for one shots but not for loops. Shit I think I dropped a clanger with this, whats the point in creating clips if I can't select and load them back in to an audio track from the PUSH browser? Is there anyone here from Ableton can answer a simple question about this? I can e-mail support BUT don't wanna wait till christmas for a reply. As I said it's all good with one shots loading on to pads but no good whatsoever loading loops on to drum rack pads that's just a no no. Long story short, No you can't just hook up PUSH and forget about your monitor and mouse. In fact every time you want a loop you have to manually drag it on to an audio track. Damn sorry about the rant but come on ABS your avin a giraffe here. FIX the audio import please. Great product until you go deeper. Hardware is great the software needs missing features fixed asap.

You could also check out Bitwig with Push after 1.2 comes out, which will include a big browser update as well as some controller api changes to make the push support more complete I think. I don't know the specifics but I've heard you can already do some stuff with Bitwig+push that you can't do with Live+push. If 1.2 still doesn't work for you, at least you can talk to the devs and the guy on the forum who wrote the script. They are both responsive. 1.2 beta will be released soon hopefully. If you give feedback during the beta they are probably more likely to get around to it.

Thanks for the reply, I like to stick with Live though, tried the Bitwig demo, sent an e-mail to their support 2 months ago with some questions and not a word, don't think I'll invest there but thanks again.

Rob

fugazi81 wrote:Hi Rob,

Iv'e been doing some researching on this today.. look at this page for instance:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ing-files/

Ableton say,
If you have chosen a blank audio track, you will be shown a list of audio effects.
I say, that's all good and well but what's the point if I'm shown a list of audio effects if I can't select the audio from my places to load in to that specific audio track from within PUSH itself?

Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1-JHoqPE1E

Look where his macbook is lol.. this guy has surely prepared his set beforehand dragging his audio to tracks and what not before shooting this video. I assure you that PUSH does need the aid of a computer screen and mouse in order to set up your one audio samples first.. there's no way to view your own loops etc from within PUSH itself. I hope they're gonna fix this, it should be standard issue IMO.

So far all I can do is prepare mixes with the audio I wanna use before I even hit the start button unless I'm just using the stock One shots in Drumrack or synths with Instrument rack. Even with my au/vst I need to first set them up with an instrument track (screen and mouse again)

Really love PUSH but I need to browse my own sampled loops from PUSH and load to track. I even made Clips with FX and all but they're not selectable either here. Does anyone from Ableton actually read this forum? I hope they do and reply... would be good if there's a software update coming. Surely me and you aren't the only ones that want this fixed.

Rob

rob_lee wrote:would be good if there's a software update coming. Surely me and you aren't the only ones that want this fixed.
I hope they fix this too. I would love it if I could load my own samples to tracks.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
rob_lee wrote:would be good if there's a software update coming. Surely me and you aren't the only ones that want this fixed.
I hope they fix this too. I would love it if I could load my own samples to tracks.
Cheers Dave.. other than this issue I think the actual controller is well thought out. It's just I didn't even wanna look at a screen or use a mouse with this but hope it's possible in future to load user samples to track in future. So for the time being I'm just going to set up my own mixes with vat in instruments racks and ready loaded top loops. That'd be the best way forward here then once all your stuff is loaded you could put away the laptop and mouse till mix down. Gonna set some projects up tonight and save for recall later. I just thought it'd be a standard thing to see all my user samples/clips and select them and dump them to any audio track I create but maybe soon eh.

Rob

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”