NI just layered fancy presets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

trimph1 wrote:WTF is this thread about anyway?
Advanced Trollism. I think the op studied it at Princeton University. He's pretty damn good at it.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

do_androids_dream wrote:
Ben H wrote:I think software designers can't win.

If they include simple, useful presets, then customers complain that the synth is "dull" and "thin."

But if they include complex, evolving, one-finger-only presets, swimming in effects to show what the synth is capable of... then customers complain that the sounds aren't useful because they are too hard to fit into any of their songs.
What is the FUNCTION of a preset?
wrong-o. the question you want to ask is, what is the function of a kvr post/er? ;)

and again... no name, no slogan..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:...the question you want to ask is, what is the function of a kvr post/er? ;)
Hmm.. not sure about the function but the reason.. work is slow :lol: so here I am. Probably should know better.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I have, and use, Komplete, and have been doing so since Komplete 2. With that being said NI has some of the most useless presets on earth. They are the company that finally made me decide not to bother scrolling through presets. They do have uniformly high quality products though. If you are the type that needs tons of presets then you will be wasting lots of time with Komplete picking out the good ones from the sea of weird German wankery.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:I have, and use, Komplete, and have been doing so since Komplete 2. With that being said NI has some of the most useless presets on earth. They are the company that finally made me decide not to bother scrolling through presets. They do have uniformly high quality products though. If you are the type that needs tons of presets then you will be wasting lots of time with Komplete picking out the good ones from the sea of weird German wankery.
HEY!!! Leave my weird stuff alooooonne!!!!!! :x :x :P

:lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Ah_Dziz wrote:If you are the type that needs tons of presets then you will be wasting lots of time with Komplete picking out the good ones from the sea of weird German wankery.
I thought I was the only one that thought that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In NI's defense though, I'm sure there are many who totally appreciate that weird German wankery incliuding all of the staff at NI. So I have come to grips with the fact that, it is, what it is.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

I actually like incredibly bizarre synth programming. I just prefer to do it myself. I've made tracks that were just 2 or 3 absynth patches. When a patch is a musical idea all on its own I'd rather have it be my musical idea.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

do_androids_dream wrote:

If they include simple, useful presets, then customers complain that the synth is "dull" and "thin."

But if they include complex, evolving, one-finger-only presets, swimming in effects to show what the synth is capable of... then customers complain that the sounds aren't useful because they are too hard to fit into any of their songs.
What is the FUNCTION of a preset? .........
A preset is a musical instrument created with the help of the parameters the synthesis engine offers. Once you've set all the parameters to the *right* values, then saved it, its now a *preset*

It can be a Piano, a Rhodes, A synth bass, a Pad, or something that's difficult to give a name. Anyway, in case its well programmed, you'll have to figure out/*learn* how to play it, and make it *live* and breathe according to your desires and needs. Or adapt it to context. So already a lot to do. In simple words, you'll have to master it a minima to engage a conversation with it so it can take its place into your music. Anyway, if one's can't talk with his instruments, it might be a good idea to consider playing tennis or raise roses in the garden instead of making music.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Ah_Dziz wrote:When a patch is a musical idea all on its own I'd rather have it be my musical idea.
if you can settle for just saying it was your musical idea, you'll be a better consumer :hug:

think of all the time you'll save by not wasting it developing useless skills, when you could have spent the entire time basking in ear candy!

consuming is 100% win! you don't want to be 100% loser, do you?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Lotuzia wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

What is the FUNCTION of a preset? .........
A preset is a musical instrument created with the help of the parameters the synthesis engine offers. Once you've set all the parameters to the *right* values, then saved it, its now a *preset*

It can be a Piano, a Rhodes, A synth bass, a Pad, or something that's difficult to give a name. Anyway, in case its well programmed, you'll have to figure out/*learn* how to play it, and make it *live* and breathe according to your desires and needs. Or adapt it to context. So already a lot to do. In simple words, you'll have to master it a minima to engage a conversation with it so it can take its place into your music. Anyway, if one's can't talk with his instruments, it might be a good idea to consider playing tennis or raise roses in the garden instead of making music.
The sarcasm is strong with this one... :clap: Discussion is not a strong point of KVR. I must remember not to make people think TOO hard.

No sarcasm in my post.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Which NI synths even allow you to create "layered" presets? Do Absynth's three oscillators count as layers? I don't think so. Had the OP ever even touched Massive or FM8 or Razor? Does Monark have layered presets?

This whole topic seems like a wind-up from someone who is ill-informed, hasn't actually looked at the details of the instruments in question, and yet still claims to be considering buying Komplete... Despite not owning a computer!

Good luck with your Netbook freeware.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Lotuzia wrote:No sarcasm in my post.
Sorry, I read it as a dig at me. I can't even remember the thread of what I was thinking earlier in this er.. thread. Xoxos picked up on what I said too - not sure if he was digging me either :lol: . When you've heard the millionth trance/EDM/Dubstep track that uses the same 3 or 4 sounds you do get a bit niggled at the concept of the preset. I know preset designers have to make a living but I can't help but think they've made their deal with the devil as regards keeping the suck level high in dance music these days :ud: I guess they have to give 'em what they want. Just as I have to mix boy band pop to make a living... I'll get me coat... :help:

do_androids_dream wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:No sarcasm in my post.
Sorry, I read it as a dig at me. I can't even remember the thread of what I was thinking earlier in this er.. thread. Xoxos picked up on what I said too - not sure if he was digging me either :lol: . When you've heard the millionth trance/EDM/Dubstep track that uses the same 3 or 4 sounds you do get a bit niggled at the concept of the preset. I know preset designers have to make a living but I can't help but think they've made their deal with the devil as regards keeping the suck level high in dance music these days :ud: I guess they have to give 'em what they want. Just as I have to mix boy band pop to make a living... I'll get me coat... :help:
Well, I create relatively few presets for the genres you mention -though you could put a lof of things in the *edm* bag- . And, hopefully, when I do, they're not identical to what can be found in some demo tracks I can hear here and there. But you're right, if some people are after these kind of sounds, someone will feed them (Nature hating emptyness by definition, and market even more than nature). However, ime, one might be surprised by the vast number of people wanting something different than those generic sounds.

Bass6 wrote:I haven't been making music for a decade now. I don't even have a computer (netbook doesn't count) for music production, but from what I remember the free stuff are not inferior, they are mostly barebones but with a lot of potential!
A decade later your grude with Native Instruments reappeared? :o

Return to “Instruments”