Not so happy with new design update of site

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's the new look...

Win10. Android L.

Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote:Image
Yes we do!!! :x :x
Now get off my lawn!!! :tantrum:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Hm, first wondered what Kriminal means about sluggish site too, but now i face it more and more as well... it's not so much the performance of the site, seems more as if there's something slow in accessing database or whatever. There definitely is something wrong, sometimes it takes 20 seconds to load a page, sometimes it's immediately there, and sometimes there seems to be a 5 second lag or so before it loads. Internet works fine otherwise, can browse other websites without problems.

It does that here as well...instant response at times mixed with periods where one can be sitting looking at a blank screen... :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

OK, where the hell is the panel on the right side that had recent posts etc.?!

Phew, it's back. :D

So did this page exist before, or is it a new feature:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/latest-po ... ?mode=mylt

Seems a lot is a'cookin' at KVR, gotta admire their will to experiment :tu:

I like it. It uses horizontal screen space better, and looks generally more crisp and clean to me. Having PMs and the topic links buried in a menu is annoying though, as people have said.
Last edited by robenestobenz on Fri May 22, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

i fail at kvr

robenestobenz wrote:I like it. It uses horizontal screen space better,
At the cost of vertical space wasted on mobile devices. This is why "responsive design" is nonsense. It's not responsive. It's one size fits all and usually slow (which, to me, SPEED is the proper meaning of "responsive", not "adaptive", which is what it should be called).
robenestobenz wrote: and looks generally more crisp and clean to me.
Gotta say... I'm sick of hearing this about flat design. "Clean" means nothing. The reality is minimal design, which lacks proper cues to make function self-evident.

And can we please stop having rollovers slowing down scrolling on touch-based devices?! Rollovers do not work on touch devices. That's a mouse-centric design notion. Plus, it makes no sense to highlight an entire block when clicking there does nothing anyway. Only light up that which is functional! That's the whole point of rollovers in the first place: to highlight a FUNCTIONAL control, not decoration! If you have to aim on the bits of text to trigger an action, the rollover highlight of the area serves zero purpose but to slow down page rendering. The web is getting ridiculously slow and bloated because of all this useless JavaScript and server-side code.

I wish rollovers were never invented. On a mouse-based device, they're still obnoxious and useless, especially those which are hidden controls intended to appear when the user somehow determines that something should be there. It's one thing to let the user hide a panel. It's another thing entirely to make controls invisible until a random mouse_over accidentally reveals them (like the message handling controls in Mac Mail and the obstruction-prone arrow gadget in iTunes). Hidden controls are the opposite of human interfacing. Functionality first, design second!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: I wish rollovers were never invented.
I wish mobile devices would stop ruining the internet. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Heh, you can tell we're mainly surfing on opposite sorts of devices. It looks OK on my phone, but the screen is massive. The shot you posted is really bad though, it's not like Iphones are niche, they should cater better.
Jace-BeOS wrote:
robenestobenz wrote:I like it. It uses horizontal screen space better,
At the cost of vertical space wasted on mobile devices. This is why "responsive design" is nonsense. It's not responsive. It's one size fits all and usually slow (which, to me, SPEED is the proper meaning of "responsive", not "adaptive", which is what it should be called).
Yeah, it seemed like a poor choice of term to me as well, but there it is. It's less one size fits all than a fixed-proportion site, by definition. It's more one size fits all than having a separate small-screen site, but they were often shit in my experience anyway and are disappearing, probably due to the extra design, dev and maintenance burden.
Jace-BeOS wrote:
robenestobenz wrote: and looks generally more crisp and clean to me.
Gotta say... I'm sick of hearing this about flat design. "Clean" means nothing. The reality is minimal design, which lacks proper cues to make function self-evident.
Means nothing? When I say clean about an interface to someone, we usually share a concept. What else does the word 'word' mean, if not that?

I can see what you mean with functionality, e.g. with the tabs. It's large a matter of taste I suppose. I just prefer flatter interfaces with software, always have. Prefer colour to indicate points of interest over texture, prefer text over icons, within reason. If the choice was on GUI alone, I'd be using a Windows phone.

Completely with you on all the whizzy JavaScript effects. They have their place, but on sites existing primarily to supply information, they're just a drag and a distraction.

Jace-BeOS wrote:Have to say, though, this looks like crap.
image.jpg
I hate the flat design fad (please die) and the over-simplified "icons". There's also a ton of wasted space.
This is how it looks on my Galaxy S4 too. It really is so intuitive, with buttons for me, my, new, n, p, f, a yellow/green smudge, orange down arrow, film camera, and three dots. Yup, that makes perfect sense.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Site Stuff”