New Free Sample File Manager

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

(I posted this in the Soundware forum, but in retrospect, I'm not sure if that is the most appropriate palce for it.)

I am trying to share a free, eventually open source, sample library manager.

https://app.box.com/s/jkb94388aawspxojbcn4q11sehpa8blm

It's a simple tag-based system.

It allows tagging files, creating new tags on the fly, searching for files based on complex tag combinations.

You can drag a specific file into your DAW--which is nice. I use it more than Live's built in browser.

My current library is around 26,000 files and performance seems pretty good.

Setup is manual, but not too difficult. Start with the Read Me file in the unzipped folder.

It runs on C#, I suspect it is Windows only at the moment.

If you try it, let me know if it works out for you.

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, is this not useful to anyone?

Are there better free options out there?

I couldn't find anything that allowed arbitrary tagging--which is why I made this.

Thanks.

Lots of people were begging for this a year ago.

Nice work. I'll have to check it out. Truth be told, I don't have many unorganized samples though.

This one is very good and still free atm.

https://resonic.at/home

What do you mean by arbitrary tagging?
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

So, for me, tag based management is a must--rather than by file system.

I want to be able to find all of my distorted kick samples--regardless of the folder they are in--for instance.

By "arbitrary" I mean that I can instantly create any tag I want, just by adding it to the list of tags to one or more files. If a tag is deleted from all files, it will be removed from the list of tags. There is no limit on the number of tags you can have. I should be able to find a better better word for this.

So it has been really nice to get a new sample library, do some initial tagging (or maybe just clean up the auto tagging), then tag the whole set as "listen again later". If the tag "listen again later" did not already exist in my list of tags it will immediately be added to the list. In the future using "listen again later" as the search term will bring up all of those files in the browser.

t3toooo wrote:This one is very good and still free atm.
Just a quick heads-up: Resonic Pro will be introducing an advanced auto tag system that has been in development for the last year.

www.resonic.at/pro
liqube · resonic · pro + player

lqb wrote:
t3toooo wrote:This one is very good and still free atm.
Just a quick heads-up: Resonic Pro will be introducing an advanced auto tag system that has been in development for the last year.

http://www.resonic.at/pro
That's cool. Any idea what makes it advanced?

jonleebrown wrote:That's cool. Any idea what makes it advanced?
For short: It's based on (fast) complex algorithms that test a few hundred thousand combinations of typo-corrected words (and patterns). We researched about 10 million path names by select users (sound designers, music producers, etc.) as a base for this system.

lqb wrote:
jonleebrown wrote:That's cool. Any idea what makes it advanced?
For short: It's based on (fast) complex algorithms that test a few hundred thousand combinations of typo-corrected words (and patterns). We researched about 10 million path names by select users (sound designers, music producers, etc.) as a base for this system.
Ah cool. That is more clever than what I did--the auto-tagging is just simple rules that you can specify. No auto-correcting.

One thing that I've enjoyed about the manager that I cobbled together is that I can use it to tag and manage non-audio files too--like Reaktor patches. The fun thing there is you can drag from the manager into Reaktor. So instead of all of the directory hopping looking for ensembles and snapshots inside of Reaktor, I can look for a sound and load whatever synth created it.

It won't play samples of the patches, but it's not a far leap to have it look for an audio file of the same name in the same directory and play that--which might end up being practical and useful--still pondering that one.

interesting subject. will give a try to both. thanks for your work and making it available for free.

Vst support needed, these type of apps need to be inside the daw, just saying
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote:Vst support needed, these type of apps need to be inside the daw, just saying
We don't plan on wrapping the whole app into VST form, but there are some other ideas floating around when it comes to audio exchange.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”