FL Studio 12 Released!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

sjm wrote:So from what I can tell in the meantime, gol has managed to understand time signatures, and the discussion is now more about the semantics of BPM in a DAW.

Personally, I think the single most important thing is that the metronome and grids make sense, and correspond to the time signature. That means the metronome counting eighths, not quarters, when in x/8. I think the fact that in x/8, each eighth note represents a beat is something we've managed to agree on now.

When it comes to the BPM always being defined in quarters in your DAW, I can see a couple of issues from both sides.

On the one hand, does it make sense for the BPM to change between a 4/4 and 7/8 section when the tempo hasn't changed? Doesn't this have the potential to be confusing? After all, the tempo hasn't changed, so changing the BPM seems silly in the sense that the underlying length of a quarter note hasn't changed. On the other hand, counting beats in quarters in a song that is only in x/8 time also feels wrong.

I wonder if the solution isn't to have a number of options that are tied to tempo and key signature (including one defined at the project level). You could then change them whenever you add a time signature change. These would be:
  • time signature (e.g. 4/4 or 7/8)
  • metronome beat (defaults to the denominator, but can be set as you wish, e.g. to dotted quarter notes for 6/8)
  • BPM (defaults to project settings)
  • BPM unit, e.g. quarter or eighth notes (defaults to project settings)
Each time you add a time signature change marker, you would then have the option to change to a new time signature, metronome beat, and choose whether to change the tempo (BPM) and/or note used by the BPM counter (so you could go from 120 BPM to 140 BPM without changing the underlying note, representing a tempo change; or change from 120 BPM counted in eighths to 60 BPM counted in quarters without a tempo change).

The more musically inclined can thus do whatever they want, while people who don't understand or care about the nuances don't have to deal with them.
This^^

reflex wrote:I just tried VSTHost and its fast scan. It looks like it opens the plugins while scanning, so it seems more like FL's deep scan.
Yeah, thats very possible.

Like i said in my followup post; it may well be that 'fast-scan' in VSTHost merely means that it will skip the ones that it had already registered in an earlier scan. This would explain why it is able to scan through a folder real fast while any newly added plugins are still properly categorized.

spaceman wrote:What we've learned is that BPM in a DAW is not the same as BPM in music notation. As far as I can tell, that's a fact Gol has acknowledged all along, and that's what all the rest has failed to understand he's acknowledging.

Changing the time signature in a DAW changes the grid and the metronome, but a quarter note is still as long as it was before as there are just as many in a minute as before.
Give it a f**king rest now.
I was telling by showing Cubase as an example in the last pages. 8) DAW's B(eat)P(er)M(inutes) is always calculated by quater note whatever denominator you set. That leads this users confusion.

Not in all DAWs!

EvilDragon wrote:Not in all DAWs!
All DAWs on planet Earth.
Reaper doesn't count.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

How many DAWs allow you to change time signature?

spaceman wrote:
Reaper doesn't count.
Have you tried Reaper? :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

One issue I've reported twice over at the image line forum while 12 was still in beta is the mixer meter. I even told the image line representative during IMSTA in LA. It's the only reason I just can't find myself upgrading to 12. The mixer meter db scale readout is almost impossible to see. The numbers are dark grey and the mixer is darker gray. This is not optimum at all and cripples mixing performance as it's hard to see what level your audio volume is at. This is harder to view when the mixer is in compact mode. The color needs to change to something that actually contrast so it can be read properly or a db readout box should be added to the mixer.

spaceman wrote:
Reaper doesn't count.

Bullshit. S1 is the same as Reaper. DP is the same as Reaper. QN is not always the basis for BPM calculation. Period.

abject39 wrote:One issue I've reported twice over at the image line forum while 12 was still in beta is the mixer meter. I even told the image line representative during IMSTA in LA. It's the only reason I just can't find myself upgrading to 12. The mixer meter db scale readout is almost impossible to see. The numbers are dark grey and the mixer is darker gray. This is not optimum at all and cripples mixing performance as it's hard to see what level your audio volume is at. This is harder to view when the mixer is in compact mode. The color needs to change to something that actually contrast so it can be read properly or a db readout box should be added to the mixer.
a simple work around i tried is setting the fruity db meter on the master bus to have a clearer visual

memyselfandus wrote:
sjm wrote:So from what I can tell in the meantime, gol has managed to understand time signatures, and the discussion is now more about the semantics of BPM in a DAW.

Personally, I think the single most important thing is that the metronome and grids make sense, and correspond to the time signature. That means the metronome counting eighths, not quarters, when in x/8. I think the fact that in x/8, each eighth note represents a beat is something we've managed to agree on now.

When it comes to the BPM always being defined in quarters in your DAW, I can see a couple of issues from both sides.

On the one hand, does it make sense for the BPM to change between a 4/4 and 7/8 section when the tempo hasn't changed? Doesn't this have the potential to be confusing? After all, the tempo hasn't changed, so changing the BPM seems silly in the sense that the underlying length of a quarter note hasn't changed. On the other hand, counting beats in quarters in a song that is only in x/8 time also feels wrong.

I wonder if the solution isn't to have a number of options that are tied to tempo and key signature (including one defined at the project level). You could then change them whenever you add a time signature change. These would be:
  • time signature (e.g. 4/4 or 7/8)
  • metronome beat (defaults to the denominator, but can be set as you wish, e.g. to dotted quarter notes for 6/8)
  • BPM (defaults to project settings)
  • BPM unit, e.g. quarter or eighth notes (defaults to project settings)
Each time you add a time signature change marker, you would then have the option to change to a new time signature, metronome beat, and choose whether to change the tempo (BPM) and/or note used by the BPM counter (so you could go from 120 BPM to 140 BPM without changing the underlying note, representing a tempo change; or change from 120 BPM counted in eighths to 60 BPM counted in quarters without a tempo change).

The more musically inclined can thus do whatever they want, while people who don't understand or care about the nuances don't have to deal with them.
This^^

memyselfandus wrote: This^^
Are you ok :?
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Voice303 wrote:
memyselfandus wrote: This^^
Are you ok :?
Time Signature is very important to some. :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

abject39 wrote:One issue I've reported twice over at the image line forum while 12 was still in beta is the mixer meter. I even told the image line representative during IMSTA in LA. It's the only reason I just can't find myself upgrading to 12. The mixer meter db scale readout is almost impossible to see. The numbers are dark grey and the mixer is darker gray. This is not optimum at all and cripples mixing performance as it's hard to see what level your audio volume is at. This is harder to view when the mixer is in compact mode. The color needs to change to something that actually contrast so it can be read properly or a db readout box should be added to the mixer.
You too? The contrasting is terrible. Users would like to make their own color schemes. The peak meter changes make it more difficult to see, with the ladders on the inside. IL, please do something about this.

:hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”