Soft Synths Whose Presets Don't Do Them Justice

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most of the time when I try out a soft synth I just go right to the init, bypassing the presets until I work through the manual and have come up with my own stuff. Presets on some synths can be a great way to learn more about what you're dealing with, and on some instruments the quality of the presets can even seem to overwhelm the programming options (Predator springs to mind, for me at least). On the other hand, there are synths that are absolutely phenomenal to program, yet leave one scratching one's head in wonder at the preponderance of one trick pony patches.

Right off the bat for me is Harmor, I don't think any of those presets show anywhere near the range of that synth. Even more odd is how chock FULL of great presets its sister, Sytrus, is (even they don't show the full power of that synth imo). It's as though Gol just ran out of time (all respect for Gol, amazing developer).
Ha ha suck it!

every ableton instrument has bad presets

its their way of making you learn sound design i think
Faggotmaster

Passing Bye wrote:EuterpeXL for sure :tu:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/euterpexl-by-guda-audio

Well here's an interesting developer I haven't heard of before, thanks!
mrgrim3 wrote:every ableton instrument has bad presets

:lol:
Ha ha suck it!

Zebra comes immediately to mind. One of the best synths ever, but the factory presets don't do it justice IMO (not including the Dark Zebra presets). It has a lot of decent bread-n-butter stuff, but nothing that really wows me.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Beeing able to create some tones. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:

the real question is which skin makes the best trance music :^)
Faggotmaster

mrgrim3 wrote:
murnau wrote:

the real question is which skin makes the best trance music :^)

Gladiator! Because it puts me in a trance...

There's perhaps of an example where the presets seem to pretty much reflect the programming capabilities. To my ears at least. By the way I love programming Gladiator!
Ha ha suck it!

So, SO easy. Spire at the top of the list.

then every other soft synth ever made (except ace).

LuSH-101. Agree about Gladiator and Spire, too.

Definitely Harmor and Spire. The level of beast in Harmor hasn't been unleashed, yet.

All of them

TAL-BassLine-101.

It would be cool if no synths had presets (oh wait, they didn't back in the day). Then we would have to... drum roll... learn our instruments!! Most presets are unusable in a track anyway.
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Sat May 23, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Yeah, it would be really cool if all the synths in the world won't have presets, but as a developer, you'll have the courage to release a virtual synth without presets in these days :?:

Return to “Instruments”