Cost of soundbanks - often expensive

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's always going to come down to "what the market will bear". And the more uninformed and less inquisitive the market is - the more it will bear. It is to the benefit of the suppliers to defend that position and quash any notion in questioning that.

murnau wrote:
Anyway, i also don't like to read 1-sentence-quotes especially when your answer then refer to parts of the quoted post which are well.. not quoted (in this case the word arrogant). What's the purpose to quote something when everybody else better check the thread for the original post to understand the last sentence of your answer?
Point taken, but I do that to make the post a bit shorter, so it isn't all cluttered.
Either way...what are we talking about again?
Oh right, I'm an arrogant ho.
It's true.
I agree with you.
Next topic, why I can't afford expensive soundsets?
Reason uno.
I don't have enough money.
The end.

NatLife wrote:what price can be good for sounbank?
$10usd
High quality = 8 to 12 months of work for each set regardless of the quantity.

There is a valid point about factory patches vs the quality of payware expansions/add-ons. For some people, it takes time to really get to know a brand new synth and ease into it. When I buy a synth, I typically don't release a bank for it until at least 6 months later, if not longer. With factory sound design, I have to both learn a new synth and get a certain number of sounds out within a limited time frame. This discussion has been a big eye opener for me and definitely changed how I'm going to approach factory sound design in the future. My commercial sets are indeed better than my factory contributions, but it isn't from lack of effort. It takes time to adjust to a new synth and really "get" its sweet spots, know its quirks, find hidden tricks, etc.

Bazille is a perfect example. I did some factory sounds for it literally right before the release. Went through those sounds last night and, while they aren't bad, they definitely weren't of the kind of character and depth that I require for a commercial soundset. The sounds I get out of Bazile nowadays are by far better, simply because I've had a lot more time with it. It is for this exact reason why releasing a commercial set immediately after a new synth is released is NOT my typical way of doing things. For some of us, learning a new synth and getting really talented with it takes time, and that is one reason why commercial sets are typically better than the factory sounds.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

mcnoone wrote:
$10usd
Gee, that is way too little for so much work...

Xenos wrote:There is a valid point about factory patches vs the quality of payware expansions/add-ons. For some people, it takes time to really get to know a brand new synth and ease into it. When I buy a synth, I typically don't release a bank for it until at least 6 months later, if not longer. With factory sound design, I have to both learn a new synth and get a certain number of sounds out within a limited time frame. This discussion has been a big eye opener for me and definitely changed how I'm going to approach factory sound design in the future. My commercial sets are indeed better than my factory contributions, but it isn't from lack of effort. It takes time to adjust to a new synth and really "get" its sweet spots, know its quirks, find hidden tricks, etc.

Bazille is a perfect example. I did some factory sounds for it literally right before the release. Went through those sounds last night and, while they aren't bad, they definitely weren't of the kind of character and depth that I require for a commercial soundset. The sounds I get out of Bazile nowadays are by far better, simply because I've had a lot more time with it. It is for this exact reason why releasing a commercial set immediately after a new synth is released is NOT my typical way of doing things. For some of us, learning a new synth and getting really talented with it takes time, and that is one reason why commercial sets are typically better than the factory sounds.
Yes, especially with more complex synths such as Bazille or wavetable synths. I mean, I don't need half a year to know Kern inside out :hihi: Then again, there is little point in offering commercial patches for such a cheap/simple synth. Like with translations: the more difficult the languages, the more you can charge per word 8)

Xenos wrote: It is for this exact reason why releasing a commercial set immediately after a new synth is released is NOT my typical way of doing things.
Or releasing it before release and pretending you are better than everyone else that did similar thing and have more time because they aren't busy being professional touring artist's, but professional sound designers :tu:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
$10usd
Depends on how many you sell.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
$10usd
Welcome to my world.

Passing Bye wrote:
Xenos wrote: It is for this exact reason why releasing a commercial set immediately after a new synth is released is NOT my typical way of doing things.
Or releasing it before release and pretending you are better than everyone else that did similar thing and have more time because they aren't busy being professional touring artist's, but professional sound designers :tu:
If this is a jab at me and I came across that way, I apologize. I mean that sincerely.

Xenos wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
If this is a jab at me and I came across that way, I apologize. I mean that sincerely.
No not at all, no need to apologize, you are awesome :hug:

He know who he is and actually he was inspiration for this thread, have nothing against his business, but have with his attitude and stuff he was saying here :tu:

Passing Bye wrote:
Xenos wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
No not at all, no need to apologize, you are awesome :hug:

He know who he is and actually he was inspiration for this thread, have nothing against his business, but have with his attitude and stuff he was saying here :tu:

Oh ok. Cool. :hug: Good social/people skills has always been one of my weaker areas, and I've had times in the past where I've come across differently than intended.

mcnoone wrote:
murnau wrote:
Anyway, i also don't like to read 1-sentence-quotes especially when your answer then refer to parts of the quoted post which are well.. not quoted (in this case the word arrogant). What's the purpose to quote something when everybody else better check the thread for the original post to understand the last sentence of your answer?
Point taken, but I do that to make the post a bit shorter, so it isn't all cluttered.
Either way...what are we talking about again?
Oh right, I'm an arrogant ho.
It's true.
I agree with you.
Next topic, why I can't afford expensive soundsets?
Reason uno.
I don't have enough money.
The end.
I did not say that you are arrogant thats not the way i post in general, even without looking what i wrote i'm pretty sure that i wrote something like saying to the OP and the rest of the community that the thread is done is an arrogant answer.

Your next point "why i can't afford expensive soundsets?" Sorry again, i simply don't know where this now came from? Totally off-topic since nobody said something like that, not even the OP. At least i did not notice it as an important point in this discussion.
Last edited by murnau on Fri May 22, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Xenos wrote:Oh ok. Cool. :hug: Good social/people skills has always been one of my weaker areas, and I've had times in the past where I've come across differently than intended.
I can imagine that, but you are always so considerate and realistic, honest and humble, but yeah, guess someone missing that out is missing out on you :neutral:

Xenos wrote:This discussion has been a big eye opener for me and definitely changed how I'm going to approach factory sound design in the future. My commercial sets are indeed better than my factory contributions, but it isn't from lack of effort. It takes time to adjust to a new synth and really "get" its sweet spots, know its quirks, find hidden tricks, etc.
Your prices have always seemed very reasonable and while not always in my set of uses, I have found they generally have a middle ground adaptable to many genres. I have bought quite a few from you and they have even extended the life of a few I had stopped using prior to adding your sets.
Eventually, the ones I've ended up selling anyway had to do more with the plugin's lack of updating something than anything else.
You definitely seem to 'get it' and more designers could learn from you.

Return to “Soundware”