Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

sebber wrote: 2) Fine Frequency: The display goes up to 2.98, although soundwise it goes up only until 1.99 (as does the DX7). That's quite irritating, because it displays the frequency wrong.
something similar is going on with the Breakpoint parameter.
sebber wrote: Rates and Levels: I can't set them to 59. It always jumps from 58 to 60 and back.
Confirmed this bug for operator #3.
sebber wrote: 5) The original DX7 had a curious thing in that it would not always stop all sounds when changing between programs. One would most likely call it a bug, however, some people used the very curious sounds that were coming out of the machine because they _were_ just very curious. I realize that this amounts very much to the point where one might want to decide if that's something useful to have, but if Dexed is really supposed to be "the same" machine it should have an option for this.
Sounds related to polyphony. Another good suggestion by sebber
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

sebber wrote:1) Out of curiosity: is Dexed and hexter (http://dssi.sourceforge.net/hexter.html) somewhat related to each other?
No, it's two different projects.
sebber wrote:2) Fine Frequency: The display goes up to 2.98, although soundwise it goes up only until 1.99 (as does the DX7). That's quite irritating, because it displays the frequency wrong.
This will be fixed in 0.8.1 or 0.8.2
sebber wrote:3) This might be a stupid one: how do I disable an operator (like on the DX7)?
Just set the operator output to 0.
sebber wrote:4) Is there a master tuning function (like on the DX7)?
Now: no, in the future yes.
sebber wrote:5) The original DX7 had a curious thing in that it would not always stop all sounds when changing between programs. One would most likely call it a bug, however, some people used the very curious sounds that were coming out of the machine because they _were_ just very curious. I realize that this amounts very much to the point where one might want to decide if that's something useful to have, but if Dexed is really supposed to be "the same" machine it should have an option for this. I, for one, really would need it and have to mimick it with FM8's morph function. But it's not working very well, I'm afraid.
That's 0.99 feature. Very cute feature tought.
sebber wrote:- File inforwmation on Dexed.vst shows its version 1.0 (instead of 0.8, I suppose)
Yes, but some hosts it refuses to load "instance" data because the version doesn't match. Let's keep it on 1.0 version until the version cannot be compatible; that's the "daw version" for....
sebber wrote:- Rates and Levels: I can't set them to 59. It always jumps from 58 to 60 and back.

I don't know why 59 doesn't work but I will fix this in the next version.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll try to find out what causes the strange sounds when changing programs, but it'll take a while. Re: fine frequency: loading the SysEx files made with Dexter into FM8 gives wrong results. Comparisons of FM8 and Dexter can therefore only be made with patches made with completely different programs - or with the DX7, of course :-)
Thanks for this great project, it's really awesome.

how far off is the next version?

Hi there everyone. I am new to this forum and I have a question about Dexed. I download this from internet and I have no idea how I can use this because there is only one .dll file in it.
Would you please tell me how can I use it as a VST plugin in a daw software.
I really appreciate your help in this matter.
Thanks a lot guys.

It needs to be run under a VST host and will be recognized like any other vst plug.
https://github.com/asb2m10/dexed

Hi,
I didn't understand that it needs to be run under a VST host.
Can you make an example, like if I wanted to run under Cubase or Ableton what I need to do with that .dll file.
Can you explain it more or an instructions. Maybe I wasn't so bright as yo guys.
Thanks for your help.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

soufi236 wrote:Hi,
I didn't understand that it needs to be run under a VST host.
Can you make an example, like if I wanted to run under Cubase or Ableton what I need to do with that .dll file.
Can you explain it more or an instructions. Maybe I wasn't so bright as yo guys.
Thanks for your help.
Hello soufi236

I think that you simply need to learn how works the VST's in general. Dexed is a common VST which works like all the VST's.

Do you already have a DAW?

If yes, which one exactly (its exact name and its exact version)?

And have you already made another VST work in your DAW?

With these answers it will be much more easy to show you how to load a VST (Dexed or any other instrument) in this actual DAW.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hi BlackWinny,
I have a CubaseLE AI Elements 7.08.
No I haven't made another VST work in my DAW.
And thanks for helping me.

Hi BlackWinny,

I think I figure it out myself. I went to Cubase and in the device menu there was a VST Instrument and when I clicked it a window come out and it recognize it by itself. Thanks a lot anyway. You are the one to showed me the way.

You are awesome.

soufi236 wrote:Hi BlackWinny,

I think I figure it out myself. I went to Cubase and in the device menu there was a VST Instrument and when I clicked it a window come out and it recognize it by itself. Thanks a lot anyway. You are the one to showed me the way.

You are awesome.
That's it.

And you're welcome, mate. Each time you meet an obstacle to understand something, don't hesitate. In this section (by default, unless you ask for a plugin or a developer having a specific section or having an already active generic thread as this current one for Dexed), you just create a new thread to put your problem or your question, and we'll always be there to answer you.
:tu:

I strongly recommend you also to read quietly and progressively the PDF documentation of your DAW. The best is to never run too quickly, each step of a documentation can be very useful to master a tool, even the steps which seem trivial. And precisely the Cubase documentation is exceptionally rich to teach you in depth the features of your DAW (of course not of the VSTs themselves, for that we can also recommend you some books or ebooks (some are even free) and of course our KVR threads). To ease you, the PDF documents of the version Cubase LE AI 7 and also of all its included complementary stuff are all here (the full collection in five languages):

http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=d ... =1#c232502

You're welcome!
:party:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

electro wrote:how far off is the next version?
when Soundtoys 5 is released :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously it is coming... I'm still connecting the dots. A lot of the previous issues are addressed in this version, specially about the preset saving feature.

I even got a screenshot ... UI coherence is still on my TODO list.

What will be great about the cartridge manager is that everything will be "draggable" so you will be able to move programs from cartridges without explicitly having to load them. And all of this will be very DX7/sysex friendly.

Oh my, the cartridge management seems to be getting a serious update. Thanks again for all your hard work on this, really appreciate it. Still missing a well deserved donation button somewhere...

soufi236 wrote:Hi BlackWinny,

You are awesome.
Ready to go then :) To use/learn a pure FM synth as the first one ever, now that's brave :o

I would start with a basic subtractive synth like Charlatan if I where you though.. :wink:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Instruments”