One Synth Challenge #75: PG-8X (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

stone1 wrote:Seems quite a nice retro synth to me.. I'm trying to run it under "airwave" in the Linux version of renoise, and it seems fairly stable.. only problems is CPU usage. Anyone know what the situation is with instrument freezes in renoise? (it's not really the same as track freeze as renoise just creates a sample-based instrument from the output of the plugin - which I guess might change the quality of the sound a bit..) If that's not allowed, any other options - I can see recording each track into another DAW might be an option - but one that doesn't sound too fun to me.
Hmm CPU usage here is okay on a recent Macbook Pro. Freezing is fine if it's a whole phrase (ideally it's the entire track, probably okay if it's like 8 bars or more; not okay to sample single hits - this synth is an example why, it's difficult to make a consistent sound - e.g. kick). So how does the Renoise sampling work in regard to that?

Just in short (for the moment) I liked the sound of Mehum`s kick very much, but mine had a bit more punch and was also louder and so I combined Mehum`s and my adjustements and created the "Mohum Kick" :lol:

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa716j13rifz3 ... k.syx?dl=0
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Dear All,

I noticed that some of you reported on instabilities and bugs.
Please, report them in the PG8X thread, which I use as a kind of archive of bug reports.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=310856

Unfortunately, for the next 4 weeks I do not have access to my Windows development machine, and will have very limited internet access.

I might be able to fix some MAC related problems, as I have the MacBook with me.

Anyway, I would be interested in getting more information about crashes and other problems, so I can fix them before the final release.

Cheers,
Martin

Hi Martin --

First -- you've made an awesome synth -- congratulations!

On my 2012 iMac, Logic Pro X and Yosemite, the AU version is very stable, works perfectly, but uses huge CPU. If there is a way to reduce CPU use it would be greatly appreciated! I would be glad to provide more detailed info if it would help you.

Thanks very much.

edit: deleted
Padamantium - 100 Pads for Repro-5 available now @ The Patchbay.
Also packs for TAL-UNO-LX, Oddity 2, TAL-Bassline101 https://thepatchbay.co.uk/creator/kimik/

With the AU version in logic 9/OSX 10.6.4. I get huge cpu spikes when I'm NOT playing any notes, the cpu usage would be ok if it would stay where it is when playing something.
Padamantium - 100 Pads for Repro-5 available now @ The Patchbay.
Also packs for TAL-UNO-LX, Oddity 2, TAL-Bassline101 https://thepatchbay.co.uk/creator/kimik/

mehum wrote:
Mojo42 wrote:
Well, let`s say I try :lol:

I`m not finished yet with my "CPU usage test" lol. This time I`m wiser and have learnt from my experiances at OSC #72. My plan was to make approximately 12 -15 test instances, adding automation and a couple of effects and then I`m quite curios if the track will stutter again, or if Cubase will crash or something like that.

If everything will run smooth.....then I will give it a try, looks like "huge fun" this time :lol: 8)
Isn't track freezing working for you, if you run out of CPU?
Yes track freezing is working for me, but despite track freezing I only could use 9 instances without automation at the OSC #72. That`s a bit too limited and I found it really exhausting to work this way. 9 instances would be okay, but on top also no automation really sucks :wink:

For exporting all instances to audio no time was left and I simply don`t wish to have all that stress and trouble again and so I better check it out all before I seriously start. I will have off the next days and so I can finish my CPU usage test soon. My pc is old and cheap.

Originally no one can seriously produce music on it, but I`m stubborn and neverthless try *lol*. But I really have to check it out before I start if it is possible at all for me to work with PGX8. Otherwise it would be again nothing but stress and trouble, but I don`t wish to have stress and trouble when joining OSC, I wish to have fun!!! At least I have to check out how far I can go this time and then I can consider about my music project for this OSC. I just wish to be prepared.

I said it already: Originally I`m much too slow for OSC, but I`m also stubborn (as already said) and so I neverthless try, but this time I will be better prepared 8)
mehum wrote:
Mojo42 wrote: I don`t know exactly what you mean with "made into one patch" and what exactly you wish to do because a bank is just one file. You can save 32 patches on one bank and when you save this bank you just have one single file,containing your 32 patches. You just have to select the second slot at the empty bank for adding the second patch, then select the third slot at the empy bank for the third patch and so on. All the time you add a new patch on the empty init bank you have to do all steps I described above.
Yeah, I got that :)
But I have already made the sounds in separate instances of the synth. When I save a patch in one instance it's not automatically transferred to the banks of the other instances (perhaps that is Reaper specific behaviour though?) so I'd have to save each sound as a separate patch, then load them one and one into one instance of PG8X and save them into a new bank. So I'll just save each patch and put them in the zip instead :)
Ooooooooooooookay. I don`t understand any word :lol:

But don`t care about this. Put your patches in a zip file and I will make the bank with them. On my pc the patches are saved at the places I determine :lol:

And I supposed Cubase would be complicated.........pffffffffffffffff
I actually considered about to test Reaper, but the more I read about it, the less I think that I would be able to handle it. I guess I should upgrade my Cubase.

By the way: Thanks for the info links :)

@DrewDale: Many thanks for the soundbank, it is cool :tu: :)

@zprime and jasinski: Thanks for the great tipps :)
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

I would really like to share some patches, too. Unfortunally the idiot in front of my computer made all the patches with that damn old version of the first download link :dog: They are not compatible with the newer version. If I read the looong thread right, there no way to convert it or did I miss something? I'll have to go through and convert them manually ... :tantrum:

MTLE wrote:I would really like to share some patches, too. Unfortunally the idiot in front of my computer made all the patches with that damn old version of the first download link :dog: They are not compatible with the newer version. If I read the looong thread right, there no way to convert it or did I miss something? I'll have to go through and convert them manually ... :tantrum:
Isn't the syx format supposed to be fully compatible with the actual jx8p? In that case, can you save to sysex in the old and import to the new?

can it load dx7 .syx banks?

Tjivory wrote:can it load dx7 .syx banks?
It can not. Syx is short for sysex which is short for system exclusive. So each syx format is exclusive for the specific synthesizer.

MTLE wrote:I would really like to share some patches, too. Unfortunally the idiot in front of my computer made all the patches with that damn old version of the first download link :dog: They are not compatible with the newer version. If I read the looong thread right, there no way to convert it or did I miss something? I'll have to go through and convert them manually ... :tantrum:
There is a way, although a bit tedious:

In my dropbox (where you download the new version) you will also find a folder with the old SE versions. Get yourself the version 1.04, this one is patch-compatible with the old 1.02 version. Then, in the settings panel, switch on SYSEX on ProgChange and select the JX-8P sysex format.

If you chain up the old and new version, such that SYSEX is passed between them, you can transfer the patches.

For this, on the new version, best select the IMMEDIATE saving option.

I will do that for all the old banks currently on the KVR preset database, once the final version is released (and once I am back at my Windows machine).

Cheers,
Martin

GrokSynth wrote:I read somewhere that a patch on the JX8P was used in the Twin Peaks soundtrack.
Do you mean THIS sound?

https://youtu.be/dTp6d7Bw79A
(at 0:00)

EDIT: According to google this is a bass guitar, so no synth involved. :hihi:
But the strings at 5:10 could be JX8P. :tu:
Last edited by Chris-S on Mon May 04, 2015 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

mehum wrote: Yeah, I got that :)
But I have already made the sounds in separate instances of the synth. When I save a patch in one instance it's not automatically transferred to the banks of the other instances (perhaps that is Reaper specific behaviour though?) so I'd have to save each sound as a separate patch, then load them one and one into one instance of PG8X and save them into a new bank. So I'll just save each patch and put them in the zip instead :)
Hi, you are right. This is not reaper specific.

At startup (in a new project) the synth does not load any bank by default.
You can give it a default bank via the pg8x.ini file. Add the line:

Code: Select all

DEFAULT_BANK=...
However, note that this bank will only be read by new projects, and will not automatically be saved.

When you save a project, the host will save the state of each instance separately. If you have made changes to some patches in some instances, the safest way is to safe these as *.pg8xpreset, and then load them in the other instance, if needed.

martin_l wrote:
There is a way, although a bit tedious:

In my dropbox (where you download the new version) you will also find a folder with the old SE versions. Get yourself the version 1.04, this one is patch-compatible with the old 1.02 version. Then, in the settings panel, switch on SYSEX on ProgChange and select the JX-8P sysex format.

If you chain up the old and new version, such that SYSEX is passed between them, you can transfer the patches.

For this, on the new version, best select the IMMEDIATE saving option.

I will do that for all the old banks currently on the KVR preset database, once the final version is released (and once I am back at my Windows machine).

Cheers,
Martin
Ah, thanks, will try this later today. 8)

Return to “Instruments”