Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't play my strat that much anymore. I've found that single cut guitars always have more mid's and bass then horned guitars. When reaching for a solid body my Tele's get the most action.

Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

probably one of these

tapper mike wrote: I've found that single cut guitars always have more mid's and bass then horned guitars.
I would have argued with you about that until I got a new strat. Up 'till now I thought strats had amazing body and girth to the tone and tele's were thin and trebly. But, my experience with strats has been with 50's and 60's originals. The 1 modern one I just bought is thin and shrill. I'm going to put some new pups and a darker tone wood neck on it and see if that helps.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I reach for the Tele more than the Strat for the bridge sound, but rarely play the neck pickup on the Tele - that's when I reach for the Strat
Sweet child in time...

My Modern Player Tele Plus is HSS.

The neck pup has some drop off on the high strings.

The bridge plate on traditional tele's invariably seems to boost the treble side of the bridge pickup but it also adds mass. The MPT doesn't have a bridge plate instead it's a traditional pup ring for a humbucker.

If I could pimp the modern player tele it would be with all SD's
Tele vintage stack neck.
Duckbucker for the middle
JB for the bridge with triple shot ring and S1 switching.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I just ordered some bare knuckle Irish tours for the new Strat. Hopefully will help stop the shrill tones

I know it sounds crazy... Some people actually turn down the amps treble and mid below 5 when playing with bright pickups. Others are known for using heavier gauge strings.

tapper mike wrote:I know it sounds crazy... Some people actually turn down the amps treble and mid below 5 when playing with bright pickups. Others are known for using heavier gauge strings.
lol, you have to hear this thing to believe it. I have 11's on it now. And, for the first time I have treble at 12 o'clock and presence completely neutral on my main amp. I also, tried adjusting the pups. All that ended up doing is thinning out the harshness tone.

Basically the neck pickup sounds like a hot tele bridge pickup. And, it just gets more piercing from there.

Yike, I'll shut up now.

I use the "jazz" setting for my amp
No presence (i wish)
Bass 4.5
Middle 3.5
Treble 1

Brightness off.

tapper mike wrote:The neck pup has some drop off on the high strings.
Maybe consider putting a strat pickup in the neck? I've never been fond of Tele neck pickups so I'm looking at pairing a Dimarzio Area 58 or Area 67 neck with an Area T 615 bridge.

I used to like to run really bright guitars into really dark amps. It creates a Dolby type of effect, where the darkness of the amp also kills a lot of the noise. Unfortunately, after a while, I really noticed how different the amp responds this way, even with clean tones.

tapper mike wrote:Yike, I'll shut up now.

I use the "jazz" setting for my amp
No presence (i wish)
Bass 4.5
Middle 3.5
Treble 1

Brightness off.
Hey, no problem .. I don't mind suggestions at all. Sorry if I came off that way.

Uncle E wrote:I used to like to run really bright guitars into really dark amps. It creates a Dolby type of effect, where the darkness of the amp also kills a lot of the noise. Unfortunately, after a while, I really noticed how different the amp responds this way, even with clean tones.
As I adjusted the PUPs, all the dynamics went out too. Basically by completely taming the highs, either by amp or setup, you basically kill the dynamic range of the guitar. At least that's how it is seeming to me. This is all new territory for me though. So, very much a learning experience. A year from now I'll probably figure out what an idiot I am dealing with this.

Uncle E wrote:
tapper mike wrote:The neck pup has some drop off on the high strings.
Maybe consider putting a strat pickup in the neck? I've never been fond of Tele neck pickups so I'm looking at pairing a Dimarzio Area 58 or Area 67 neck with an Area T 615 bridge.
Nah I don't want a new pickguard. The STK-T1n (vintage stack is right as rain for classic tele tone. It has a more even distribution of volume across the strings. Retains just enough brightness and throatiness. While not sounding p90 ish or full humbucker ish.

I've got plenty of meat on my other tele which is a blacktop vintage modified with alnico 5 humbuckers

Damn, I forgot about the pickguard. I'll probably just get an Area T neck in that case.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”