Just Discovering XILS III

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a couple of days with the demo I had to buy the LE, and buying the full III is in the inevitable future. At first I dismissed as yet another "effects synth", but digging deeper I was and remain amazed at the capabilities of this thing. A dark horse...why, I have no idea. One of the best synths I've heard in quite awhile, I can't stop messing with it (the learning curve kind of mandates that anyway).

I'm also curious about the IV, anyone have that?
Ha ha suck it!

4 is essentially just 2 3's stuck together. Of course that makes for some interesting things you can do with 2 synth engines that work together.

I love XILS. Their stuff is top notch. Thinking of getting Syn'X down the road.

One of those synths i have since years (the LE version that is), but never bothered to use much. Surely will do so now, i'm interested. :) I remember the matrix thingie confused me a bit though, but maybe i'll figure that out now.

chk071 wrote:One of those synths i have since years (the LE version that is), but never bothered to use much. Surely will do so now, i'm interested. :) I remember the matrix thingie confused me a bit though, but maybe i'll figure that out now.

It's definitely got that learning curve, but trust me there's a pay off. Very characterful synth.
Ha ha suck it!

XILs is a top notch company. Xavier (head honcho of Xils) is terrific.

wagtunes wrote:4 is essentially just 2 3's stuck together. Of course that makes for some interesting things you can do with 2 synth engines that work together.

I love XILS. Their stuff is top notch. Thinking of getting Syn'X down the road.
Yes. Well Xils 4 is both more powerfull and less powerfull than 2 instances of Xils 3 V2 working simultaneously. The beauty of the Xils 4 is that the extended modules and its 2 matrixes ( and also sequencer and all its controls, and different triggers ) are mutual/shared to/by the two synth engines. So it means that it can act as a bridge and interacts with both synth engines. And that also means a few hundreds of additional connexions possible.

I'll give a simple example. Imagine that one of the 6 oscillators of the engine A, working at audio rate, modulates the LFO speed of the extended parameters, and this LFO modulates the filter of the engine B AND the pitch of one of its 6 oscillators, and that this precise oscillator, while modulating one of the many controls of the Sample & Hold module, also modulates the decay of the third enveloppe of the extended parameters AND .... the pitch of the Engine A oscillator we first used to modulate the LFO. And you get a sophisticated loop that would be impossible to get with two instances of Xils 3 put together in your Daw. And this is only one of the thousands possibilities you can get with the XIls 4. Xils 4 is both an incredibly deep research synthesizer, and it can also make all the standard analog patches ( Basses, leads, brass etc) with its own unique flavor. For those who are into amazing modular things here's a video of the Xils 4 with uncommon use :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnkimyvTHQ8
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote: Yes. Well Xils 4 is both more powerfull and less powerfull than 2 instances of Xils 3 V2 working simultaneously.
Weird comparison! How about 2x Xils 4 vs. 2x Xils 3 V2? :wink:

Thanks for the reply Lotuzia, 4 looks more and more interesting to me. I'm going to fiddle with the demo some more.
Ha ha suck it!

I had whatever version the German Magazin BEAT was giving away. I really tried to like it -- in fact, I did like some of the sounds I got out of it. But, alas, it was not very stable for some reason when every other synth and plugin I've had has never been a problem. I mean, I haven't had plugin issues with really any in the last 2-3 years .... except BEAT's version Xils.

I thought I archived it but must have chucked it. Oh well, I really didn't think much of it anyway. Kind of a fluky, strange plugin of a synth if you ask me. Glad someone likes their product though. Just certainly wasn't my cup of tea!

I think if the plug was put inside a sock, it would be called a puppet :P

My kind of issue with anything modular is that it may give you loads of possibilities, it also makes things pretty difficult, and cumbersome, which should be pretty much childs play. Anyway, i really need the manual for this one. Which isn't much to my favour... like the sound though, especially the filter is nice.

chk071 wrote:My kind of issue with anything modular is that it may give you loads of possibilities, it also makes things pretty difficult, and cumbersome, which should be pretty much childs play. Anyway, i really need the manual for this one. Which isn't much to my favour... like the sound though, especially the filter is nice.
It's a bit like Sytrus for me, the more I read the manual the more I get out of it.
Ha ha suck it!

chk071 wrote:My kind of issue with anything modular is that it may give you loads of possibilities, it also makes things pretty difficult, and cumbersome, which should be pretty much childs play. Anyway, i really need the manual for this one. Which isn't much to my favour... like the sound though, especially the filter is nice.
With great power comes great responsibility.

I've learned over the years that if I want modular, I have to accept the headaches that go with it.

If you think XILS is a headache, don't go near Sonigen, MUX or KarmaFX where you literally have to piece everything together.

Yep, i know that, having fiddled with SynthEdit and Nord G Modular some times. :P

wagtunes wrote:
With great power comes great responsibility.

I've learned over the years that if I want modular, I have to accept the headaches that go with it.

If you think XILS is a headache, don't go near Sonigen
Sonigen, another great and rewarding synth. In fact, think I'll break that one out, thank you!
Ha ha suck it!

Return to “Instruments”