Apple Acquires Camel Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Alchemy Mobile Alchemy Player CamelCrusher Cameleon 5000 CamelPhat CamelPhatFree CamelSpace

Numanoid wrote:About 1GB of patches for Alchemy can be picked up for free at PatchArena:

http://patcharena.com/downloads/index.p ... b793c79f4f
Thanks but I only have the CM Player so it only loads presets from Camel Audio
http://drunk3nj3sus.blogspot.com/ < My blog
Free samples, presets, etc.

wagtunes wrote: All I said was I don't understand the great interest in a small company like CA by a huge mega company like Apple.
Maybe the ego of top managers plays a part, as in (when discussing their recent acquisitions at some billionaire dinner :hihi: ) "Not to brag, but I'm very proud to have discovered this little boutique company...I bought them for a couple of peanuts ; we're planning to integrate part of their DSP savvy in the next iteration of apple watch and another product I can't tell you about."

It gives a much better impression of their 'business genius' than saying: our HR team has spent the last 6 months headhunting the best DSP coders around.
& their accountants might have told them buying small companies was fiscally interesting.

Camel Audio back in business? :o

This product can still be added to cart at their site:
http://www.camelaudio.com/Cameleon-Sound-Library.php

Now that I posted it, I wonder how long before it gets taken down.

Numanoid wrote:Camel Audio back in business? :o

This product can still be added to cart at their site:
http://www.camelaudio.com/Cameleon-Sound-Library.php

Now that I posted it, I wonder how long before it gets taken down.
Looks like the Iceland sound bank is still available too! :o
http://www.camelaudio.com/Iceland-Sound-Library.php

Not all of them though... just those 2 banks. :/

Anyway, get it quick if you want it people!!!
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:Looks like the Iceland sound bank is still available too! :o
http://www.camelaudio.com/Iceland-Sound-Library.php
No doubt that is a timeless classic nobody in their right mind want to miss :hihi:

That's kind of spoilt by the advertising that pops up on YouTube now...

Seeing as this is still going, thought I'd add 0.2c of pure speculation.

Besides formidable additive synthesis chops, Camel had a couple of other unique things going on.

They had a good, modern, flexible sample playback engine that worked reliably and efficiently on both mobile (ARM) and desktop (x86/64). Plenty of companies have one or the other. Far fewer have the exact same engine working on both.

And, they were way ahead of the game (in our sometimes surprisingly technologically backward little industry segment at least) with their in-app purchase ecosystem.

So what they had (from the point of view of Apple, for whom all the serious $$$$ is in mobile and consumer-level) is a pretty darn great authoring platform running on desktop, a working mobile consumer client, and the nuts and bolts to connect the two.

So my guess is, the reason they'd buy a company like Camel is to create an ecosystem of third party authored in-app-purchase instruments for Garage Band, with an authoring tool based on Alchemy to be built in to Logic or perhaps run on its own, a playback engine built in to GB based on Alchemy Mobile, and a much-expanded In App Purchase infrastructure for GB allowing third party sound designers to sell sampled instruments to the GB audience.

Just to depress you all:

- The profit they could make selling AUs or desktop virtual instruments in general probably wouldn't even cover their legal fees on doing this deal.

- I'm guessing in revenue terms, the existing $4.99 GarageBand instrument pack does more annually than the top 10 virtual instruments added together. Possibly the top 20.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote:Just to depress you all:

- The profit they could make selling AUs or desktop virtual instruments in general probably wouldn't even cover their legal fees on doing this deal.

- I'm guessing in revenue terms, the existing $4.99 GarageBand instrument pack does more annually than the top 10 virtual instruments added together. Possibly the top 20.
You're probably right. :(
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Angus_FX wrote: So my guess is, the reason they'd buy a company like Camel is to create an ecosystem of third party authored in-app-purchase instruments for Garage Band, with an authoring tool based on Alchemy to be built in to Logic or perhaps run on its own, a playback engine built in to GB based on Alchemy Mobile, and a much-expanded In App Purchase infrastructure for GB allowing third party sound designers to sell sampled instruments to the GB audience.
Exactly ! :tu:

Add to that, a new name for Alchemy2 : EXS24 mk2, for example, with inApp purchase... :party:
my website: https://samiyounes.com
Latest releases: Attraction for Omnisphere 2 | Magma for Omnisphere 2 | Time for Soundtoys EchoBoy

For those with long memories, the "E" refers to Emagic, and the 24 to bit depth. Neither all that relevant here I'd have thought, but who knows..
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote:For those with long memories, the "E" refers to Emagic
Back when Emagic goods could be enjoyed both on Windows and OSX :wink:

Maybe even the Atari ST ?

(trivia: ST stands for S(16)T(32) ;) )

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The iPhone is still the engine behind Apple's phenomenal success, even as attention turned to its new smartwatch in recent weeks. While skeptics question whether the company's future is tied too much to one product, the iPhone's popularity was the reason Apple turned in another blow-out financial report Monday. The results far surpassed most analysts' expectations for the first three months of the year, when sales traditionally fall from their holiday-season peak.

Apple sold more than 61 million iPhones in the quarter, accounting for more than two-thirds of its $58 billion in revenue for the quarter and the lion's share of its $13.6 billion in profit. As expected, the numbers were down from the previous quarter, when holiday shoppers bought a record 74 million of Apple's new iPhone 6, 6 Plus and older models. But the 61 million was a 40 percent increase over the number of iPhones sold in the first three months of 2014. "We're seeing great results all over the world," Apple chief financial officer Luca Maestri told The Associated Press, adding that iPhone sales grew 72 percent in China, where the company has big hopes for expansion.
So, the real question might be: Who's next?

I wish like hell I'd bought Alchemy when it was still around, I just have the player and some of the extra presets...it's one hell of a lot of fun to program. I should have bought it, or at least opened an account, when I had the chance. I like it better than Synthmaster.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:I wish like hell I'd bought Alchemy when it was still around, I just have the player and some of the extra presets...it's one hell of a lot of fun to program. I should have bought it, or at least opened an account, when I had the chance. I like it better than Synthmaster.

I am positive if you put a WTB thread up in the classifieds you could buy someone's account off them.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Hi. Late to this conversation as have been away traveling. Luckily I downloaded all sound files from Alchemy a while ago. But when I've opened it on my new Mac it shows as a demo. (Counting down from 4 weeks!!) I followed instructions as they were listed (see below) One difference I can see though is the file it says I should have, is the AlchemyMac-1-55-0.pkg whereas the file I actually have is AlchemyPlayerMac-1-55-0.pkg

Love this synth and don't want to lose the full version and use of my settings.. Any solutions out there? Or where i might find the correct file...? Any help appreciated!! Thanks

The instructions I followed were these:

If you change operating system and want your Alchemy installation copied across,
do the following:
Copy your 'Alchemy' data folder from one machine to the other. By default
these are located here:

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Camel Audio
Win: C:ProgramDataCamel Audio

(or Start Menu -> All Programs -> Camel Audio -> Alchemy -> Alchemy Data)
Next, run the plugin installer for your new OS, downloadable from our site,
shown in the screenshot at the top of the page. This will download a file
called AlchemyWin-1-55-0.exe or AlchemyMac-1-55-0.pkg.
Run this file, directing it to your new data folder location when asked for a
location for data files.

Return to “Instruments”