FL Studio 12 Released!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

cartoonish design + lifetime upgrade (automation clips into the entry level product which is finally usable), they want to chain the music padawans/youngling to themselves that's all, seems a smart business decision/strategy for me
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

robotmonkey wrote:..the mixer where there is no clear visual separation between mixer tracks. Also the flat look tends to suck generally as it often lacks proper visual cues between interface elements that have primary and secondary interface.
vibelizard wrote: FL also seems to have moved away from the pitch on the sequence buttons in the sequence rack (where the gray and reddish buttons are, menu would allow a pull down piano keyboard for pitch) so now when you step write you have to be in piano roll.
These are the biggest reasons I am not super excited.
Both of these issues are pretty major, in use.
vibelizard wrote: Who knows, maybe it will grow on me.
I guess I am hoping that it will grow on me, but tbh I am not sure what I am missing by staying with v11. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Just to point out some examples where the FL Studio interface falls flat (pun intended).
First an example of very well designed mixer interface from MOTU Digital Performer.

And now why FL Studio sucks compared to Digital Performer.

Even in the biggest track view FL Studio lacks proper visual separation between tracks making it much harder to see what belongs to where. It's the problem with flat interface that has no depth.
It also lacks a wealth of information that is immediately clear in Digital Performer. In DP you can easily see both the visual and numeric volume and pan values, in FL Studio you see none without clicking in the control. To make matters worse in FL Studio the stereo separation and pan controls look exactly the same making it very confusing. In DP you can see if it's a stereo or a mono track, in FL Studio you don't.
Another problem with FL Studio is that if you have many tracks on screen it becomes more harder to tell if a slider belongs to a left or a right meter. Again, the problem with flat interface. Track arm, phase and channel swap control are denoted with a visual icon that has no meaning. Also the solo and mute controls are not evident at all. The routing cables that lead to nowhere are also a mess. Moreover the secondary controls in the title bar have no clear distinction and no visual separation at all. It's even worse when you switch into any of the compact views.

As is immediately evident tracks are not perceived by the sliders but by the spaces between them (red arrows) making the knobs bellow seem out of alignment. It's a very basic feature of how human brain groups visual elements.

Overall the DP mixer is just so much more organized, has a wealth of useful information and has very good visual cues that actually take into account how human brain perceives and groups information. DP mixer is just light years better and so much easier and quicker to work with. FL Studio fails miserably in 101 of psychology of visual perception and cognition. I'm actually shocked that Image Line does not have a person who actually knows that stuff. Also the FL Studio interface looks very plastic-y compared to DP making it somewhat ugly. DP interface on the other hand is a beauty.
No signature here!

The mixer always was the weak spot of FL...
The step sequencer and the piano roll are the key points of FL IMHO....

It's much better now then what we've had as mixer since years. Of course, not that it could be improved here and there.. I looking forward because this is not the end just the beginning. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

bob bobwood wrote:
Debutante wrote:Awesome All Around ... but no Buzz Adapters, even in 32 bit... :(
If you still have FL11 or another FL version installed,
go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 11\Plugins\Fruity\Generators
copy the Buzz Generator Adapter folder and then paste it into;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Image-Line\FL Studio 12\Plugins\Fruity\Generators

then do a quick scan for new plugins, and add as favourite from the browser.

And probably safer to assume there is no support for it now.

If you don't have an older version, you can get one from Image-Line, though I forget where - possibly in your IL account.
HOHOHO!!! Thans for that :tu: I thought there might be files needed in the main FL studio folder that weren't there anymore.

I declare FL Complete. If development stopped at this point, I'm happy. Just need to upgrade now...

robotmonkey wrote:Like in the mixer where there is no clear visual separation between mixer tracks.
I 100% agree!
This is actually one of the first things I noted.
Compact view is harder to use because of it. :(

And even on Wide 1 and 2 I still always need some time to orientate before I can do anything in the mixer. :shock:
(And even on Wide 3 and Extra large, which have dividers between the tracks, those are barely visible.)

I really hope, there will be proper deviders between tracks again.
Those should also have more contrast to the background.
robotmonkey wrote:Another problem with FL Studio is that if you have many tracks on screen it becomes more harder to tell if a slider belongs to a left or a right meter.
Indeed, I agree.

@FL-Team and Beta-Testers:
How could you miss this?
It's so obvious.
(Before you ask: I didn't have the time to beta-test it myself.)

to the guys complaining about bad visualization between mixer channels,you know you can add separators right??

also there will be a update out sometime next week

reflex wrote:
ENV1 wrote:
tony tony chopper wrote:It's listing twice the same plugins while you only have 1 copy of the DLLs?
Yes.

(It began after starting and canceling a deep scan, if i remember correctly.)
Please report this in our Techsupport forum, so I can take a look at it.
I can confirm this. I'm not at home though and it comes and goes. Maybe was only the side browser.

The separators are an nice try... it should be like that all the time.

And why the decibels numbers are black??

I was about to update when the installer asked me to accept skype as a "drive-by" install.
Has Image-Line moved to the dark side, recently? Should I expect an Ask toolbar installer popping up next?

Regnas wrote:The separators are an nice try... it should be like that all the time.

And why the decibels numbers are black??
Ctrl + Shift and select every mixer insert (takes less than 2 seconds to scroll along).

Right-click and select 'separator'. Save as Template and you now have a separated mixer every time.

Agree about the decibel markers, they would be easier to read in a light grey colour.

They used to use open candy. Glad that died.

S-N-S wrote:to the guys complaining about bad visualization between mixer channels,you know you can add separators right??
Hey, good idea!
But the visibility, even with those fat seperators, isn't really good. :?

It's not enough contrast.
It's grey and grey.

Would be cool, if we could customize GUI-colors.
Shouldn't be impossible with the new vectorial GUI.
Maybe not directly in the program itself, but in a cfg-file or something like that.

I mean, look at this:
compact.png
extra large.png
This is, what a large part of the mixer looks like.
A lot of different grey lines without real cues, what is what.
It's just hard for the brain to allocate certain lines to certain elements in the mixer.

Seriously. I think this is a cery big problem.
And it would probably be fixed by more contrast and maybe even a bit different design of all those lines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elassi wrote:
Must add one point: It let's me store a program of Kontakt as a certain instrument. Say you have a fav piano in Kontakt... just add it to the database (it'd be smart to create a subdir called "Piano" first) and it will load every time you select it from there. That's cool!

In Reaper, which has a nice database too, you can't do that. You always have to load Kontakt first and then select the sample-lib in question. Maaaaany clicks, man. ;)
Just to correct you on this in Reaper they are called Templates and yes you can load an instrument then save the template. It will then load that sample when you load the template without Maaaaany clicks, man. . ;)

The good thing is you can also add your favorite effects with the Template. Fancy TRacks 3 for some added punch/eq/ reverb ? Add it to the template. You can even have more than one instrument in a single Template. For example I've got a Template that layers a Kontakt Piano with a Piano from Sampletank 3 with some added TRacks effects. Templates are very powerful. I've got over 40 just for my guitar alone. You don't get little pictures in the menu but really that's just eye candy.
Last edited by Teksonik on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”