Better analogue sound(vst)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What effects are you guys using to make your virtual analogue VSTs sound more like real analogue?

Any tricks you want to share

less is more, the more you abuse the more the digitalness comes out

I recorded a few samples of me kicking a real analogue synth, cursing, flipping dodgy switches several times in a row... I then mix those samples into the track, and presto! Real analogue!

Sjefke wrote:What effects are you guys using to make your virtual analogue VSTs sound more like real analogue?

I don't know. I've been trying to make my Moog sound more digital.

First the gap between VST and real analogue getting only smaller every year. If you have DIVA from u-he it sounds already very analogue.
There are many choices nowdays (even free like from Bootsie) for that saturation and warmth of ITB sounds.
I use Decapitator from Soundtoys and FabFilter Saturn.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Sjefke wrote:What effects are you guys using to make your virtual analogue VSTs sound more like real analogue?

Layer as many as you can so you cant tell whats what. Add a bad singer to take the focus away from the synths.

mike the mental wrote:less is more, the more you abuse the more the digitalness comes out

I think this is very good advice. Slapping on too many of those "colorizer" plugins messes with the signal and makes things sound overly processed and kinda unnatural to my ear.

Kriminal wrote:Add a bad singer to take the focus away from the synths.
Haha, I like that. :D

Kriminal wrote:Add a bad singer to take the focus away from the synths.
Hahahaha epic :lol: :clap:

Sjefke wrote: . . . Any tricks you want to share
Practice, practice, practice
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine will make it sound like its recorded in the 80s.

Why would anyone want their synths to sound more analog ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The analogue synth sound, sounds more interesting has more character, it's not static. It's not the same thing as comparing digital TV to analogue TV.

Many here will take exception with my view, but honestly
for me "trick" number one is to use synths that incorporate
sampled analog waveforms or even full
sampled analog presets from classical gear.
From that point
on, a variety of compressors, eq, saturation, tape emus
that model harmonic distrtion and other
emulated or sampled analog color does the trick.

If i start from a purely digital virtual analog synth i seldom
end up with a mix that sounds convincingly analog.
That s why most of my purely digital synths never made it
to my new workstation.

Return to “Effects”