Tone2 Electra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Electra3 ElectraX

Yes, not all the Papen stuff is bad, but frankly spoken I cannot believe that the Electra2 GUI was done by a professional designer, or a rather untalented one.

I mean, that GUI does 'work', but nowadays you just have to do better IMO.

Markus doesn't do the GUI's?
Always assumed he did. Let me go look at the credits.

rsp
sound sculptist

2ZrgE wrote:Well that thing deserves a total makeover if you ask me, they really shoud hire a professional designer, Tone2 (and Rob Papen) should realize that there are things that you shouldn't do by yourself (even if you think you could).
I think both companies have nice GUIs and well arranged controls. Sometimes I wonder what the heck people expect in a GUI, short of expecting something that fits their exact tastes perfectly.

Markus does do the GUI for Tone2 products.

It's the Papen products that aren't handled by Papen or Jon (the programmer for Papen products).

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:Well that thing deserves a total makeover if you ask me, they really shoud hire a professional designer, Tone2 (and Rob Papen) should realize that there are things that you shouldn't do by yourself (even if you think you could).
I think both companies have nice GUIs and well arranged controls. Sometimes I wonder what the heck people expect in a GUI, short of expecting something that fits their exact tastes perfectly.
But there's a slight difference between taste and usability, right?

I think the usability of Electra 2 is perfectly fine. It's not the best for sure but it's definitely not "bad" either.

2ZrgE: Give an example of a good GUI in your opinion?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:I think the usability of Electra 2 is perfectly fine. It's not the best for sure but it's definitely not "bad" either.

I'm curious, too. From all my experience with it, which is extensive, Elektra is a terrific sounding and engaging synthesizer. Pretty much everything is easily accessed, at least for me it is. One of my favorites, but then I'm definitely a fan of Tone 2 products to begin with, Nemesis and Gladiator and similarly terrific and engaging in my opinion. I don't have trouble with the guis overall, but certainly Gladiator could be smaller.
Ha ha suck it!

bmanic wrote:I think the usability of Electra 2 is perfectly fine. It's not the best for sure but it's definitely not "bad" either.

+1
IMO clean and easy GUI. Nice browser, too.

One thing I'll say about the Tone2 GUI's is that the faux LCD stuff is tacky. Tone2 is a wicked tacky company though (and always have been), so that is not surprising.

Doesn't mean that Markus is a bad dev, he isn't. Near objective that Tone2 roll with some pretty laughable marketing and presentation punches though.

I keep reading negative things about Tone2 and I'm getting more and more baffled. I love my Tone2 synths, they're awesome imo, especially when one keeps them within the range they were meant to be used. Every time I go to open up one of those synthesizers on my DAW I'm smiling at the great sound and cool (and no, not perfect) tweakability.

Shrugging. To each their own I guess. I'll just pop out Gladiator for now and start rockin'!
Ha ha suck it!

I agree on Papen. I remember the Predator demo version, the red on black displays and stuff like that, poor usability...
Some developers seem to focus on good looks rather than usability. Maybe they are too close to their "babies" to notice problems...

Apostate wrote:I keep reading negative things about Tone2 and I'm getting more and more baffled. I love my Tone2 synths, they're awesome imo, especially when one keeps them within the range they were meant to be used. Every time I go to open up one of those synthesizers on my DAW I'm smiling at the great sound and cool (and no, not perfect) tweakability.

Shrugging. To each their own I guess. I'll just pop out Gladiator for now and start rockin'!
+1

I've found that, with Tone2, many people have to find something to hate about them. Usually it's the promo screenshots. The runner-up is the GUI. As someone else has mentioned, the GUI is skinnable; if you don't like what you see, make your own. Otherwise, maybe you could just admit it's really not affecting the music you make with the synth...and just start rockin' (or proggin', or EDMin' or ambientin'...or whichever kind of music it is you make with it).

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

It just looks something like this, at least to me, I can bet someone can score even better picture with some other model, but that's about that knobs and display, overall surface and feel :lol:

planetearth wrote:
Apostate wrote:I keep reading negative things about Tone2 and I'm getting more and more baffled. I love my Tone2 synths, they're awesome imo, especially when one keeps them within the range they were meant to be used. Every time I go to open up one of those synthesizers on my DAW I'm smiling at the great sound and cool (and no, not perfect) tweakability.

+1

I've found that, with Tone2, many people have to find something to hate about them. Usually it's the promo screenshots. The runner-up is the GUI. As someone else has mentioned, the GUI is skinnable; if you don't like what you see, make your own. Otherwise, maybe you could just admit it's really not affecting the music you make with the synth...and just start rockin' (or proggin', or EDMin' or ambientin'...or whichever kind of music it is you make with it).

Steve
I'm grateful someone at least took the time to demystify for me why the heck Tone 2 gets so much flak around here. I think some people say they dislike certain things just to be different, as if they couldn't distinguish themselves in any other way.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:
planetearth wrote:

+1

Steve

I'm grateful someone at least took the time to demystify for me why the heck Tone 2 gets so much flak around here. I think some people say they dislike certain things just to be different, as if they couldn't distinguish themselves in any other way.

wow I didn't know electra was skinnable, there 0 electra skins !! :o it is a synth that I think would do well in getting a facelift. Tone2 should hire someone to do one, consider it targeted marketing as both word of mouth gets out and new customers would get some exposure :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”