Virus TI - wont power on - solved :)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today my Virus TI Pølar decided not to power on. I've searched the internet for similar issues, and it appears that the issue is due to a broken PSU, and that it should be possible to repair myself. I've sent an email to Access asking for any possible solution other than replacing the PSU, just in case... But I'd like to hear you guys if anyone has experienced this, and what the solution was?
Last edited by twolegstoneworks on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

I have an original TI, and it has outlasted 3 power supplies.
If you are getting no lights at all, I suggest(and hope)-
that that's what it is.
1 amp is a powerful enough supply, but you could use anywhere up to 3.

nix808 wrote:I have an original TI, and it has outlasted 3 power supplies.
If you are getting no lights at all, I suggest(and hope)-
that that's what it is.
1 amp is a powerful enough supply, but you could use anywhere up to 3.
Did you replace the internal PSU or is yours the rack version with external PSU?

I'm wondering if the PSU they sell at Access can be used as internal PSU in the Pølar.

Oh sorry,
I didn't realise they came with an internal one.
Yes mine has a wall-wart, the desktop version.
damn.
I'd talk to Kemper for sure on how to get it fixed,
I dunno if you want to sorta hack it.

nix808 wrote:Oh sorry,
I didn't realise they came with an internal one.
Yes mine has a wall-wart, the desktop version.
damn.

Mine too, didn't realise the keyboard versions had it inside, that seems a good argument for having external wall-warts (however cumbersome) - I am already using a second one - the first didn't fail but I got annoyed with the poor build quality and weak connection that kept dropping out, so I'm using a more reliable one that came with another synth but uses the same power settings (it's a Korg one actually but works fine).

The solution is to take it in for repair. Or get a friend who is into electronics to sort it. Anything else could end up making it worse and more expensive.

I took the plunge and opened it up today and was surprised to see how simple it was to replace the PSU. It's simply a normal PSU just fitted inside. Fortunately I had a spare PSU with the same specifications as the broken one, so I fitted it in, and now the Virus is back online :D

Btw. the building quality is indeed very poor on the PSU. It had huge cracks in the casing and when I took it out, it literally came apart. Considering the PSU is housed inside a solid metal case there's no way this can be caused by careless handling - rather it's caused by heat.

Does the PSU have the specification printed on it? perhaps you could post them here (for future reference in case others have a similar issue)

It's 12 V DC, and the pin is positive. Amps is 300 ma to 3 amps

Yeah my original supply case cracked too.

That's so cool it's sorted! Now for a mix :D --since systems are go

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”