Give me NONlinear ADSR !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks like Dexster audio editor has a spectral view like Adobe Audition.
http://www.dexster.net/
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Image-Line Edison also has a spectrum view, though it costs about twice as much as Dexster.

Hmm, maybe the "exponential" switch on Model Mini confused me because this page says this type of attack shape is logarithmic.
http://www.pulsecodeinc.com/help/516.html
Look on the very bottom.
Don't laugh at me, mathematics tend to rot away from human brain if not used for 25 years. :)

Yes now i see how exponential envelope would look totally different - the value increase would speed up, not slow down.
I just accepted the type without thinking about it when i was playing with Model Mini and Model Pro lol...
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Well it certainly sounds like the SEM-3310 produces a very, very flat asymptote while the time is high.

So it may be a design fault in the chip, and the datasheet for it does in fact lie.

The problem I suppose is that they don't actually say the capacitor does in fact charge to the asymptote or that the peak is in fact the peak specified... They also don't say it doesn't change depending upon attack time. Just that I can't see it being anything but a lie, I don't understand how they could specify these values if they weren't accurate.

I can't see them being a mistake or typo.

You can hear in the youtube video you mention where the attack for two notes he plays at nearly the same time differ in length by 3 or so seconds! So the envelope circuit is obviously being pushed far beyond the limits of where it would meet its specifications. It also floats at the peak level for a very long time, which tells me it is right at the threshold of not being able to get into the decay stage at all due to insufficient current to drive the flop-flop through the buffer.

(What happens I think is the attack current is only a tiny fraction higher than the buffer input current, so it can't actually charge past a certain voltage anymore. The higher voltage decreases attack current at the same time as increasing buffer input current, so higher voltage means more current is drained away than provided. That is why it sits and sort of wobbles up and down at that limit.)

Without owning an OB-Xa or SEM-3310 myself I can't really say much more. I'd have to test it, otherwise all I can do is speculate regarding what may cause this effect.

re: spectrograms/graphs:

Yeah, the free stuff seems to be for the most part not all that great. I might build a tool that spits out a png or something.

Anyway I'm already convinced that the graph isn't the problem. The problem is the synth (actually, the CEM-3310) doesn't behave as specified.

re: exp / log:

Yes it is a log attack and the decay/release curves are actually negative curves. So although the curve we often call exponential, it is actually logarithmic unless you reverse it.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

You might try Superwave's P80 synth, there is a 3-week unlimited demo version. For each filter and amp envelope, one can pick from various curves including linear, exponential (2 versions), inv exponential, root, inv root, exponential + root, steep curve (2 versions), inv steep curve, linear + exponential, exponential + exponential, inv exponential + exponential.
But I am not so sure it is ideal to apply the same curve to all envelope phases. What is good for attack might not be good for decay or release and vice versa.

fluffy_little_something wrote:What is good for attack might not be good for decay or release and vice versa.
I agree.

Totay i will look for some more synths with flexible envelopes.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I suggest also Cableguys Curve ,the demo is fully functional and envelopes are fully editable , there is also Curve CM not free but cheap.

Posted a question about OB-Xa envelopes on the hardware forum:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=437188
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Experimenting with a resonance of 100%? That scares the hell out of me in terms of hearing loss :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Experimenting with a resonance of 100%? That scares the hell out of me in terms of hearing loss :hihi:
I have to try :tu: without put a limiter on the channel and away from the volume knob :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:Experimenting with a resonance of 100%? That scares the hell out of me in terms of hearing loss :hihi:
That should give us a clear view of the curve for scientific reasons. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I rarely ever use synthesizers with less than 100% resonance. In fact I'm far more happy with 105%, 120%, that sort of thing :)

100% volume is what you need to be afraid of. :hihi:
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:I rarely ever use synthesizers with less than 100% resonance. In fact I'm far more happy with 105%, 120%, that sort of thing :)

100% volume is what you need to be afraid of. :hihi:
that sort of thing? :hihi:

some experiments with xhip
resonance of 200% ,oscillator turned off and 0% volume :hihi:

jokes apart.. I want to say thanks to aciddose for this amazing synth I like too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”