One Synth Challenge #74: DEXED (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

I´m liking a lot this synth!.
Hasn't a lot of possibilities for automation, (automate the volume of the operators in "real time", would be cool), but there is enough fun with just filter cutoff, resonance & pitch well :) .

https://soundcloud.com/jruegg/dexed-drums-bass-test

GrokSynth wrote:
mehum, this is masterful. Not so discordant as last month but I like it nonetheless.

In particular, the percussion and craziness in the middle is quite nice. Sound design is outrageous.

Headphones, check.

I did try to listen with my eyes closed, but then I could not type.

:wink:
Wow, thanks a lot! I put a lot of work into it so I'm glad you appreciate it!
The discord is certainly played down a bit this time but I couldn't help myself from putting some polyrythms in... It's starting to be cliché for me, I guess :D

J.Ruegg wrote:I´m liking a lot this synth!.
Hasn't a lot of possibilities for automation, (automate the volume of the operators in "real time", would be cool), but there is enough fun with just filter cutoff, resonance & pitch well :) .
Wow, that sounded great!
I agree regarding the operator level. I know it's from the DX7 but it seems like a design flaw... Now, you could probably use the oscillator for similar effects. Since that is automatable in real time (I think...?) you could use a square wave, make sure you're in sync and automate modulation amount. A bit more work though :)

I have updated my track based on some observations by my critical audience! There's a new kick and hitting you now (thanks to Slava for this help). Also, the clav player has been tamed a bit as well in places. Overall, better EQ-ing as well I think and rebalancing to bring all the perc up a bit.

The bass player now has to compete with the drummer's kick - and mostly loses - he's now sulking :dog:

And .. wahdya know .. it's now an ear friendly DR 11 as well :tu:

Please enjoy ...

dB

JWHanberry wrote:
MTLE wrote:
JWHanberry wrote:Hanging notes.
Using Sonar X1, 32-bit, Windows XP, Dexed 0.8.OSC

Bass track produces notes (C5/D5) as soon as track is started.

Have never used Sonar, maybe you can change something in configuration? Some DAWs have multiple options to better support different plugins. If nothing helps, try freeze/render the bass track. If you get usable result, work with the rendered track on the others. If you leave the rendered track untouched you can render the final with it, or render final from midi should work as well then.
I should have a Sonar anywhere here, don't know which version, came with my Roland keyboard. Maybe I have some time at weekend to try out on Win XP with dexed.
Great idea, thanks. At least I can work on other parts without the drone going on.

I went through all the config stuff twice trying different settings. Nothing available had any effect. It could be a bug, and not the only one, in X1.
Have tried out my Sonar X1 LE and I'm really disappointed. Don't get this thing to work right now. Sometimes it plays one note of four. Sometimes it played all but very noisy. It seems to have a problem with my audio setup. At the moment it crashes the audio driver completely as soon I press play. A company like Cakewalk/Roland should be able to build more stable products or just keep on building hardware gear. ;)
Sorry, I'm no help on this...

Hey Guys,

I have been enjoying all your comments and tracks. Hope to finish my entry in time.

Daniel a.k.a. HeartBeatHero
https://soundcloud.com/heartbeathero

MTLE wrote:
JWHanberry wrote:
MTLE wrote:
JWHanberry wrote:Hanging notes.
Using Sonar X1, 32-bit, Windows XP, Dexed 0.8.OSC

Bass track produces notes (C5/D5) as soon as track is started.

Have tried out my Sonar X1 LE and I'm really disappointed. Don't get this thing to work right now. Sometimes it plays one note of four. Sometimes it played all but very noisy. It seems to have a problem with my audio setup. At the moment it crashes the audio driver completely as soon I press play. A company like Cakewalk/Roland should be able to build more stable products or just keep on building hardware gear. ;)
Sorry, I'm no help on this...
Yours is worse than mine! Thank you very much for checking it out. I've had no crashes w/Dexed but held notes and missing notes, yes. I have been using Sonar for over ten years with various plugins and have not had this sort of problem. In any event, I won't be submitting a track this time around. Hopefully next month will be better. Best of luck to all.

Hip New Prize! Thank you satYatunes (Maker of custom GUI's and soundsets)

satYatunes : One of any commercial product (right now only MayaBlue theme for Melda plugins)

OK.. Here's what I have come up with so far.. Would really appreciate suggestions for improvement.

12 instances of Dexed in Renoise under Linux.

https://soundcloud.com/jmstone/stone1-dexedrine

Hi folks .. sorry to bug you once again ... but ...

Just had my ears checked out today and they were 40% blocked on the left and 100% on the right. This explains a lot of why my track was sonically pretty crap. (Always happens to me at this time of year - dunno why). So, after "servicing" they are now back to their old 65 year old flappers!

I have re-visited the track completely and spent 20 hours now sorting it out. As from above, some new parts - and the cowbell has been re-tuned, a new hi-hat patch programmed and layered in, and lots of volume automations on most tracks.

The result I hope is a much more coherent track sonically. Still very funky. Also, so much more friendly on the ears at a massive DR:13 now. I will re-post the track because I feel it is so much better and needs a re-visit from those who so kindly pointed out some of the "errors of my ways". [BJ, you can remove the SC link if you so wish - not sure how many times we should post up the track link. Generally I try to just say - "changes done" and hope people go back and find the track.]

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... c-74-dexed

I do hope you all enjoy a real blast from the past days of the FM revolution that was spearheaded by Yamaha all those years ago. Some parts played on my trusty DX-11 - midi of course, not the sounds, hehe!

dB

doctorbob wrote:Hi folks .. sorry to bug you once again ... but ...

Just had my ears checked out today and they were 40% blocked on the left and 100% on the right. This explains a lot of why my track was sonically pretty crap. (Always happens to me at this time of year - dunno why). So, after "servicing" they are now back to their old 65 year old flappers!

I have re-visited the track completely and spent 20 hours now sorting it out. As from above, some new parts - and the cowbell has been re-tuned, a new hi-hat patch programmed and layered in, and lots of volume automations on most tracks.

The result I hope is a much more coherent track sonically. Still very funky. Also, so much more friendly on the ears at a massive DR:13 now. I will re-post the track because I feel it is so much better and needs a re-visit from those who so kindly pointed out some of the "errors of my ways". [BJ, you can remove the SC link if you so wish - not sure how many times we should post up the track link. Generally I try to just say - "changes done" and hope people go back and find the track.]

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... c-74-dexed

I do hope you all enjoy a real blast from the past days of the FM revolution that was spearheaded by Yamaha all those years ago. Some parts played on my trusty DX-11 - midi of course, not the sounds, hehe!

dB
That is one of the coolest FM tracks I've ever heard. Really brings me back to the 80s. Makes me almost ashamed of my pitiful submission. :lol:

Well, I now one 5 I'll be giving out when voting starts.

Great job doc!

heartbeathero wrote:Hey Guys,

I have been enjoying all your comments and tracks. Hope to finish my entry in time.

Daniel a.k.a. HeartBeatHero
https://soundcloud.com/heartbeathero
Hey, nice to see you joining this beautiful place ;)
And I'm curious what you come up with :hyper:

@doctorbob -- what speakers do you use for monitoring? Nice job tweaking and re-balancing.

bjporter wrote:Hip New Prize! Thank you satYatunes (Maker of custom GUI's and soundsets)
Thanks Brian, appreciate it. Being part of OSC since 2010 (on and off), it gives me pleasure to donate a prize for this contest. At the moment it's only one product; a premium UI for Melda plugins but more soundsets and commercial UIs are scheduled to be released in near future.
I really miss this community. Unfortunately am not really getting enough time finish a track to take part these days but I make sure to visit threads time to time and listen to beautiful tracks that people submit.

Best of luck to all contestants. Enjoy!

PS: Just wanted to clarify that MayaBlue theme works on Melda freeware bundle, it's not locked to paid plugins only :-)
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

ontrackp wrote:@doctorbob -- what speakers do you use for monitoring? Nice job tweaking and re-balancing.
Probably the worst speakers around ... Behringer MS40 ... but I do use Sennheiser phones. I might see what my small "old HiHi" Missions make of the tracks. My 770's are now in the attic - deemed to be TOO big for the lounge. Mind you, when my big NAD powered them you could just feel the bass (let alone hear it!).

One day I will save up my pension and buy some better speakers. They won't be helping.

Thanks for the comment above - trying some of what mehum says and have added another bass layer with a different patch to bring up some of the lower frequencies. Also, brought up the perc in the solo section, and dropped the synths so the clav counter melody shows off a little more.

I will have to stop tinkering soon - grandson's first birthday next week, so have to get lots of things done, and OSC will take bottom place then. Hope to be around for voting though.

dB

Return to “Instruments”