Omnesphere: SSD or HDD?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Voice303 wrote:Yes, M.2 is more than twice as fast at certain things but its also twice as expensive.
whilst that used to be true m2 has dropped massively lately - a 250gb samsung evo 850 is nz$193 vs nz$170 for sata here

jdnz wrote:
Voice303 wrote:Yes, M.2 is more than twice as fast at certain things but its also twice as expensive.
whilst that used to be true m2 has dropped massively lately - a 250gb samsung evo 850 is nz$193 vs nz$170 for sata here
Funny, it must have been a very recent drop as I just checked the price a few days ago and now its down to nearly 50% what it was!
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

My sample library disc is a 500GB HDD that does 100Mb/s

The bigger patches on Omni (approaching 400mb) take maybe 2 seconds to fully load.
I'm alright with that. Nearly instant load would be nice but for my library disk, 500GB is the minimum and that is still quite expensive in SSD imo.

How can you tell at what speed your HDD transmits and receives the data? I am looking on a Seagate web site and it says under the specs for hard drives, "Interface: 6 gb/sec". Interestingly it says- it uses that interface, it does not say it actually exchanging data at this speed. http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... hdd/#specs This is actually a good question to know what actual speed is HDD data. http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... hdd/#specs

This makes me think may be I need to add another SSD for recording purposes. My playback is ok from HDD but occasionally it experiences crashes- not playback related- more software synths related.

Astralv wrote:How can you tell at what speed your HDD transmits and receives the data? I am looking on a Seagate web site and it says under the specs for hard drives, "Interface: 6 gb/sec". Interestingly it says- it uses that interface, it does not say it actually exchanging data at this speed. http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... hdd/#specs This is actually a good question to know what actual speed is HDD data. http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... hdd/#specs

This makes me think may be I need to add another SSD for recording purposes. My playback is ok from HDD but occasionally it experiences crashes- not playback related- more software synths related.
There are multiple factors that make up the actual performance of a drive. Maximum sequential read / write for even the fastest hard drives barely scrapes past 1Gb/s... A bit over 1/3 of the max SATA2 3Gb/s channel bandwidth.

There is no way in hell a hard drive could ever get close to saturating a 3Gb/s SATA2 link, much less a 6Gb/s SATA3 one.

In random IOPS hard drives are even weaker, coming it at 10-20 times slower than the typical SSD. This isn't really a SATA channel size limitation though.

Voice303 wrote:
jdnz wrote:
Funny, it must have been a very recent drop as I just checked the price a few days ago and now its down to nearly 50% what it was!
just looked on newegg.com and over there the 250gb 850evo is CHEAPER in m.2 than in 2.5" sata - go figure!

guess it's a demand thing - all the new laptops are using m.2, nothing like volume to drive prices down

Astralv wrote: This makes me think may be I need to add another SSD for recording purposes. My playback is ok from HDD but occasionally it experiences crashes- not playback related- more software synths related.
crashes are most likely unrelated to anything with the drive sub-system, just buggy synths

as for recording to ssd - if you're ok now you'll gain nothing, even if you're recording at 192k/24 you're still only talking about just over 1mbyte/sec, which is nothing to any modern hard drive.

maybe if you had a 24+ channel interface and were doing live recording it'd be worth it (as much for peace of mind than anything), but also remember that even now ssds age faster the more writes they have, so using one for recording it's not going to last as long as usual.

Omnisphere not Omesphere.

jdnz wrote:
Voice303 wrote:
jdnz wrote:
just looked on newegg.com and over there the 250gb 850evo is CHEAPER in m.2 than in 2.5" sata - go figure!

guess it's a demand thing - all the new laptops are using m.2, nothing like volume to drive prices down
The catch is that M.2 drive is only 1/2 as fast as the non EVO M.2 in sequential read and write.

Omni runs on a 512GB SSD with an i7 processor and 32 GB Ram here. Loads as fast as Synth1 :D :tu:

Thank you for your replies. Then why would Seagate even write on HDD box that their hard drive has 6 gb/sec interface? Who cares? It is the same cable and port. If it did not matter, they would write 3gb/sec to 6 gb/sec interface. I remember there were hard drives that said 3 gb/sec on the box. You saying- it only implies the port it uses and not actual ability?

How big is Omnesphere 2 going to be? How much space do I really need? (I will likely by 3rd party libraries.) Also will ask again- do you know if it can be installed on Desktop and lap top on the same license?

Thanks.

Astralv wrote:You saying- it only implies the port it uses and not actual ability?
yep - isn't marketting wonderful!!!

The best PCI-e SSD can read data at 1.2GB per sec. They cost around £916 for a 1.2TB.

jdnz wrote:
Astralv wrote:You saying- it only implies the port it uses and not actual ability?
yep - isn't marketting wonderful!!!
And the max transfer rate is only 600 Mb/s for the Sata3.0 (6Gb/s) standard. So 6Gb is down to 0.6Gb.. I don´t get it..

Thanks for your replies. Folks at Tomshardware agree with your conclusions. So if I move it to 3 gb/sec, it will not affect recording and playback, I hope...

Return to “Instruments”