'OverBridge' for Electron- VST type Control of Analog Hardware Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote:
Only the beta tester know for sure (a few are publishing results on the electron forum) but the marketing says ''It allows you to record multiple analog parts to separate DAW tracks VIA a single USB cable. You can also feed digital sounds from the computer into your analog devices without any latency or timing issues.''

It is also confirmed that this works 'along side' existing drivers, and it has been tested with RME drivers as the primary drivers (again from electron site) without detriment to the primary driver quality or latency. (even on a PC that doesn't normally aggregate). They use their own special method for sync/audio, I think this is something new....which was sort of the point of the post!
Thanks SLiC!
i guess it's about time for me to spare some serious money for Analog4 and Rytm!

bests
a.

The other thing about the over bridge is that I can still use the Machinedrum and Monomachine with the Analog 4.

Monomachine > Machinedrum inputs > Machinedrum output > Analog4/Keys inputs > Overbridge > Live/Logic

You would just lose a track within the A4/AK

In fact maybe you could use any other hardware synth with Overbridge just by piping the outs to the A4/AK inputs and to your DAW. Would be great if this is the case.

Also I think you will DAW control of the CV outputs.....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

pdxindy wrote:One thing I have not heard any mention of, but will Overbridge work with the CV outs on the A4/AK?
I asked this yesterday on the Elektronauts forum and an employee said:

"The CV track will be involved, it just wasn't 100% ready for messe."

and

"Yes, the CV side is taken just as seriously. (as the rest of the package)"

http://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view/4380/page:20

I know it's not analog, but the korg M3 allows audio over firewire with the M3 VST plugin (and the M3 is old already)

I wonder about the latency with USB (if you use it to process audio from the daw & back...)
Cool for Elektron owners, anyway.

donato wrote:
pdxindy wrote:One thing I have not heard any mention of, but will Overbridge work with the CV outs on the A4/AK?
I asked this yesterday on the Elektronauts forum and an employee said:

"The CV track will be involved, it just wasn't 100% ready for messe."

and

"Yes, the CV side is taken just as seriously. (as the rest of the package)"

http://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view/4380/page:20
Cool... thanks for the feedback

Yes, that's an interesting feature. Biggest advance? Nope... no AU, no other hardware (yet) supported. At the moment it is a very proprietary system, that is good. But it's not more. Let's hope in future AU and a lot of other hardware will be supported.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote:Yes, that's an interesting feature. Biggest advance? Nope... no AU, no other hardware (yet) supported. At the moment it is a very proprietary system, that is good. But it's not more. Let's hope in future AU and a lot of other hardware will be supported.
AU is scheduled for summer with the 1.0 release.

http://eu.elektron.se/2015/04/overbridge-news/

Good, but since I still don't own any Elektron stuff and probably won't be for the next couple of years... no big advancement for my DAW :D I'll stick to make good music without big advancements :P
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

deft_bonz wrote:Yes, that's an interesting feature. Biggest advance? Nope... no AU, no other hardware (yet) supported. At the moment it is a very proprietary system, that is good. But it's not more. Let's hope in future AU and a lot of other hardware will be supported.
Yes, that was the premises of my original post -if overbridge works, will this lead to analog daw intigration becoming standard? intigration of digital hardware can generally be done in the box, but being able to process with the benefits of analog (as if the analog hardware was a VST) seems like the ultimate extension of the VST format to me...even with digital external equipment, this tech in my HD500 would make it so much more useful, I currently have to use send and return from my desk and use a stand alone editor - guitar rig makes it so much easier (as its a VST) but imagen having guitar rig VST that sent the sound to an analog/valve effects based module and back in sync without needing IO - it's the ultimate VST dongle, a little box of real analog or custom DSP hooked up via USB- more use than an Elicencer!

I'm still waiting for someone to say what they think the biggest advance in VST has been if this isn't it :wink: r
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Oh cmon, get over your biggest advancement in vst statement. As i said before Access did it 10 years ago, did it change the digital synth scene? No, they are still the only one with the TI. No other hardware company have been capable to implement their own version of TI.

It's going to be the same with OverBridge. You think Elektron will give the technology to other company? You think other company can create their own version of OverBridge? You think this feature will be usable with other analog hardware from another company? This technology is going to be limited to Elektron hardware, just like the TI. Elektron is a company, they're not a charity.

And no, the biggest advancement is the TI for me. 10 years ago. Now that's an achievement, they were the first to implement this hardware over usb thing.
musisikamar.com

I had the original TI (desktop) back in about 2008 (and a Virus Powercore which worked great until they dropped the powercore card!). TI was clever, I bought the TI for the 'Total Integration' but it never worked properly in my set up and ultimately other 'digital analog' emulation native VSTs produced comparable results, so it didn't end up mattering much to me. As I said, I can do digital in the box...and 'for me' digital synths and digital virtual analog didn't need external hardware when processors got fast enough for VST's like Diva, Lush etc. My only hardware synths and external effects are now analog (aside from a trusty HD500), so that is why the integration of analog is something new and still useful to me.

It will all come down to roundtrip latency, sound quality and sync obviously....but IF it works as advertised it could at least be emulated by Dave Smith, Roland, Korg etc. I like analog sound, I love digital convenience!
Last edited by SLiC on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DP

SLiC wrote:
It will all come down to roundtrip latency, sound quality and sync obviously....but IF it works as advertised it could at least be emulated by Dave Smith, Roland, Korg etc. I like analog sound, I love digital convenience!
Emulated? Didn't you learn anything from the TI? Which digital synth from another company have emulated the TI? Allowing you to stream audio over USB like that? None.

You're day dreaming if you think this technology will be emulated by other company. Dave Smith himself have always mention that they are hardware company, they don't wanna deal with software. And Elektron will never give the feature to other competing company, that's suicide.
musisikamar.com

Return to “Instruments”