Ensoniq ASR/EPS emulating VSTi launched on kickstarter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Howdy all,
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for me to post this, so please let me know if it is not. In any event, I've begun working on an emulation of the Ensoniq ASR/EPS hardware, as well as the DP series effects processors, and I just launched a kickstarter to try to pay my living expenses while I continue development.

Here is the link, if anyone is interested:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... r-emulator

Questions and comments welcome!

-Frank

Godbless you for this, will you be doing the EPS-16+ a friend has this and he made beautiful music
if there were a VST/AU Crossplatform Plugin that could read those disks and .img, teledisk files and
other floppy images that have EPS/ASR sample programs as well as iso for the ASR-10, I believe this
guy has a SCSI port for a CD-Rom, I have seen CD's for ASR-10 somewhere for sell on the net.

I'd say this is a great idea. I would really like to see a VST version of those Ensoniq products if you managed to get them to sound exactly the same as the originals.
No signature here!

Sounds like a great idea.

So it'll be VST only? Mac? Win? I recommend you to update that information on Kickstarter as well.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I´m also interested in this : WIndows and Mac ?

I still own an EPS 16plus and have over 200 Disc full of sounds.
So workin in a VSTi on windows would be fine.
My Recording Studio http://www.echopark.at

I'm very interested! Don't forget to write about this on Gearslutz. That's the place where you'll grab a lot of attention from sampler nerds (like me).

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I'm very interested, especially when it seems to be circuit level emulation! Like Sonic Charges Cyclone, we need more samplers and stuff like that!
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Actually, for me, it's the DP4+ unit that interests me the most. That is truly a nice piece of kit :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It will definitely be VST/AU and cross platform, most likely using the JUCE library. I will update the kickstarter to make it more clear that there will be both Mac and PC support. As far as getting identical sound, the only part that I am not sure about is how I will measure the behavior of the AD/DA converters. But I have some ideas already on what might be a reasonable approach. Models that I will be emulating will at least include the EPS-16+ and ASR-10, but I would like to do more if the kickstarter works out. Once the funding period is over I will make a survey on kickstarter to see what plugin formats the backers want the most. rtas/aax is certainly a possibility.

what prior plugins have you developed, and what hardware reverse engineering projects have you been involved with?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

That sounds perfect.

If I might give you some inputs: Please don't try to restrict the plugin GUI to an exact emulation. I love emulations to have a similar looking overall GUI, but I don't like to remember my ASR-10's just-a-few-buttons-to-do-all-1000-features workflow ;) That was a nightmare, albeit I got pretty fast. Add extra buttons/sliders/graphics/etc. to also use the capabilities of nowadays computers. Unlike the days of an ASR-10, we don't have to work with a 22 character monochrome LED screen :D
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

malphuncous wrote:It will definitely be VST/AU and cross platform, most likely using the JUCE library.
Oh well, then I already expect a lot(!) of joy for CubEndo users. I've heard (and encountered) enough horror stories about JUCE and current Steinberg software with the most current VST SDK.

Kind of like the idea of funding this, but don't like the pledge "stepping stones" (only 50USD and 100USD as of this moment) and "rewards". Even though you turn into a "beta tester" automatically. But it feels like a video game "alpha access". Too risky from somebody new around the block, IMO.

Good luck with the project anyway.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

The sound of the DA is what alot will be interested in. Hope it works out :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

whyterabbyt wrote:what prior plugins have you developed, and what hardware reverse engineering projects have you been involved with?
That's a really good question! I'm curious on this one as well. Any known plugins you've been involved with?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Perhaps after you do ASR and DP-4, you might revisit SQ-80 that mr. Kullman did ages ago (still a great, if in some areas limiting, plugin!) and do an even better version with larger polyphony and multitimbrality? :)

Intrigueing prospect here. Interested in DP-4 plugin, mostly! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”