Recommendations for a VST sampler for electronic drums samples

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I am looking for an alternative for my goto drum sampler: shortcircuit 1

I have gotten so used to it due to its great fx and routing possibilities but mainly due to the fact, that you can swap samples while it is playing. you just have to hit the 'replace sample' button, and it will swap the samples live while surfing through the browser.
The only downside is, that shortcircuit softens the initial transient, even with VCA attack times set to the shortes time possible. In many cases this reduces the impact of snappy drum sounds too much and makes them harder to place in the mix. So I'm looking for an alternative

my workflow looks like this:
- load a sample and assign a key
- create pattern loop in host
- press play
- surf through drum libraries on the fly while track is playing.

requirements:
- cpu friendly: nothing too bloated, don't want to mess with 256outputs, I will load a separate instance for each drum element
- live sample swapping with cursor up/dwn buttons
- VCA attack 0 is actually 0, no anti click fade in stuff when not wanted
- basic stuff (filters, a few envelopes and LFO, assignable to anything)

I've tried tx16wx and it doesn't alter the transient with VCA attack @ 0, but haven't figured out how to change samples with a single click, let alone surfing through the browser. Yes, it has a nice browser with preview function, but I need to audition the samples in context of the whole track.

am I missing something?
any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot :)

Is payware an option? if yes, check out Poise. A brilliant drum sampler. You can easily change samoles, layer them, etc.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Yes, wouldn't mind to pay if it suits my workflow.
Poise looks interesting. I'll check it out.
Thanks!

PS: loving your site. Awesome work!

hmm. i do snappy envelope times but it's a pita to preview samples in my creations, and they don't work with some wav collections that have "custom" headers. but since it's free and the fft stuff is different, i'll still post to "recommend" (read spam) stoooner vst.

happy face i'm such a nice guy smiley :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

evosilica wrote:Hi!

I've tried tx16wx and it doesn't alter the transient with VCA attack @ 0, but haven't figured out how to change samples with a single click, let alone surfing through the browser. Yes, it has a nice browser with preview function, but I need to audition the samples in context of the whole track.

am I missing something?
any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot :)
Actually, tx16wx does exactly what you are asking, just select the split or matrix cell you want to replace a sample for, activate the preview button in file browser (next to play), then select any sample in the list, and it will be temporarily loaded into the assigned position, and you can hear it. Also works with file dialogs if you prefer. Has been in the instrument since before 1.0.

/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

NI Battery

evosilica wrote:PS: loving your site. Awesome work!
Hey, thanks!

Btw, Nuance is good for this sort of stuff, too: http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/nuance.php
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

I can only second that recommendation ;)

Seriously though, regarding electronic drums, also our Essential Drums Vol 2 soundpack might be of interest...

http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/essent ... s-vol2.php

its free to try both Nuance and the drums packs in demo mode, and FYI Nuances envelopes can have zero attack time and can also be turned off completely.

cheers
James
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

elcallio wrote: Actually, tx16wx does exactly what you are asking, just select the split or matrix cell you want to replace a sample for, activate the preview button in file browser (next to play), then select any sample in the list, and it will be temporarily loaded into the assigned position, and you can hear it. Also works with file dialogs if you prefer. Has been in the instrument since before 1.0.

/C
This is great. I've realized this right after I've started this thread. :dog:
A double click on the orange wave-slot thing above the keyboard opens a file browser.
Enabling the checkbox "preview" makes it behave just like I want it!

Is there a way to set the checkbox "preview" by default?

Seems like I'll stick with tx16wx!

Thanks you all for your recommendations!

Not sure if ReaSamplomatic5000 works outside of reaper, otherwise that might be worth checking (I don't think it has filters though, but if you load each sample in a separate instance you could load the filter after the sampler).

Geist is class. But it's not cheap...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:Geist is class. But it's not cheap...
+1
worth every penny !
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

pilgrim_heart wrote:Not sure if ReaSamplomatic5000 works outside of reaper, otherwise that might be worth checking (I don't think it has filters though, but if you load each sample in a separate instance you could load the filter after the sampler).
I am a reaper user, but ReaSamplomatic5000 isn't really my thing. I sometimes use it for its lofi resampling modes, but in general i find it to be too limited for creative sampling.

tx16wx it is for now :hyper:

geist all the way,Man !

just click a pad and single-click a sample on the left and its already assigned to the pad. you can even just press a key on your keyboard(for those who's keyboard is on the left side.)

u can replace samples per pad while playing

u can make a pad sample Loop as well (for those Trap music rapid snares FX )

you can Step-Sequence, also you can make several step sequences and assign them to notes on your keyboard. which you can then trigger the sequences on the fly.

you don't even have to hit you're Daw's play button, geist has its own.

u can even make a step-sequence of all the sequences you made(kinda like Abelton's Live clips that u put one after the other

And its got a ton of extra feature like loop slicing ,non destructive editing of Waveform, Time-stretching.

Its got internal FXs that can be assigned per layer,per pad and the main out.

And unlike everyone else its not just a sample-player it can Actually Sample(for real) an audio track in your Daw on the fly.

its also got ,for Acoustic drums, 8 layers per pad.
it can also do ,for realism, round robin(anti-machine gun) meaning layer 1 to 8 can
never play twice in a row per pad.

u can also freely assign everything to a Midi-controller if u wanna do a MPC thing/not using a mouse.

u can save presets( so u can replace the samples but keep the tweaks), save per pad,per bank per pattern and even export the patterns and song to midi. hell u can even export as audio from the plugin itself.

and there is also a 16 step undo and redo history

and believe it or not its really simple to use

Obviously its not free... but there is nothing better out there.

Checkout the demo I highly recommend it for a electronic drum Sampler.
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Return to “Instruments”