Bizarre experience while trying to buy 8Dio library. What did you provide, to get "ID validated"?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@midi sentinel,

Thanks for sharing this amazing story! I will be sure 8dio never receives any money from me (not that they seem to care).
Peace...
bluzkat

That was bizarre and scary. I have to save for 3 or 4 months to even consider buying a sample library / vsti and such a scenairo as described would be a complete and utter nightmare for me or any other person.

Thank you for letting me know. Now I know one fo the companies to avoid.

And yeah, in contrast, soundiron is kick fukin ass with good attitude and some great products.

midi sentinel,
thanks for sharing this horrible experience!

I live in Thailand for about 4 years and I've bought a LOT of plugins and VI's during this time. But there was nothing like what you've described. I guess I'll reconsider my plans to purchase Adagio Collection by 8Dio.

Who is running 8Dio these days? I always thought Troels was generally a nice (aren't all danish?) guy, just very much against piracy. Despite his opinion that some 90% of vg music was trash back in -06 or so, maybe his opinion has changed. He is a great composer btw. Still doesn't explain the awful customer treatment.

Can't believe they were once one and the same with Soundiron. Soundiron has really great libraries and customer response. Really easy checkut process and the libraries come in the same downloader as Spitifre products. But really, those guys seem to have some wicked fun in the production. Just look up the Barbershop-choir or Mike Ro Solo Tenor. Their libraries have real soul and playability. No money wasted there. :tu:

Well, wife "casually" mentioned few times how much she likes the new Laurie vocal library, so I'm off to try making a purchase again.

Will see what happens :)

Been almost 2 months since the previous post, I pretty much forgot about this. Got reminded after getting some 8Dio sale email today, heh.

So, the story...

I placed the order, next day I got the expected "we need things for watermarking" email, I've sent them everything I could (including passport scan again, which they didn't open - again) without any questions/comments.

I got refunded, reason for refund was generic/idiotic "due to a variety of security flags in our payment processors systems" explanation.

I've sent them another email, pretty much telling them that they're lying and referred them to my previous purchase experience.

Then I actually got an email from a real person (who was seemingly someone 'higher up the ladder'), which was a shocker - but that gave me a glimpse of hope. In that email, I was informed that 'security flags' were not a fairytale, and that my comments don't help the situation. It appears that one must be blindly and silently obedient to any and all masters these days.

I was informed that they'll get back to me on Monday (this mail exchange happened on Saturday) with possible resolution.

I was also informed the no third party can purchase a license, and that alone would be the reason for refund (even though I clearly explained that this was for my wife). Digest that for a moment. Seriously. I called my wife "third party" for a while, it was quite fun actually. Everyone else was confused, though.

I tried politely explaining that in our house I buy cars, tools, software, computers and similar things, I fix things, I take the trash out. Wife buys whatever she'll cook, child clothing, cosmetics and what not. Seemingly concept of marriage, people living, sharing and doing things together and helping each other is a mystery to people at 8Dio.

Nevertheless, I was very polite but straightforward, I begged them to tell me what is it they want/need in order to fix this, since I can't quite believe that this "problem" has no solution. I can't even call it a problem, it's more of an imaginary thing in their heads, but even so - I just need them to tell me what to do. I am a person that never ever got into this kind of situation, where I tried solving a problem which wasn't a problem, with entity that was literally acting like a spoilt child. Well, I am lying, I actually had quite few of these situations with my own children. But that doesn't count.

The 'payment processor' which they use is e-junkie, which I've used many times for various purchases. Payment was made through my verified Paypal account. Of course, only 8Dio transaction had 'variety of security flags'.

To make things worse, I have developed/deployed 2 online credit card processing systems and 1 online mobile payment system in my career, so I kind of know a thing or two about how it works, what gets flagged, etc. Sigh. I mean, Paypal never flagged any of my transactions (and I do dozens per month), ever, yet 8Dio transaction raised flags. I have no doubts. Even then, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and accept that something maybe really got 'flagged', and I really wanted to cooperate and just wanted to find out what is it they wanted.

They did not get back to me on that next Monday. 2 weeks later I've sent them another email asking whether there are any updates, but I got no response to that either.

I really do not know who these people are, but they have some serious issues, they're messed up in their heads (to put it politely). I believe that this is the perfect example of what the "first world problems" phrase stands for. They seem to be living in their imaginary self-centered and self-important world, completely oblivious to reality around them, thinking how everything is about them. And their virtual instruments, seemingly.

Their attitude reminds me of a guy from a an online game, who during some argument seriously asked "Do you know how important I am in this game?"

And he meant it.

Anyway, that's as far as I am willing to go, I have no intention of trying to buy from them again.

I hope you have more luck :)

Phew!
Q1 Who does your wife now think is the "second-party" in your marriage? ;)

Q2 A passport scan ???? Is the NSA involved too?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

IMHO, the statement back to you that your statements are not helping your cause, does not help their cause either. It is wrong on so many levels to be condescending, contrite and antagonistic while attempting business. But just me ;)

Having said that, I suppose I have been fortunate in my dealings with 8Dio. I've only ever bought a few of their libraries, but all went without a hitch. At least nothing like you have experienced midi sentinel.

There is a concerted effort on the part of credit card companies to do everything they can to deter the fraud.

I have had my cards shut down on more than one occassion.

I now call the card company, ahead of purchase, to inform them I plan to make a purchase so please allow the transaction through. Occassionaly they ask that I complete the transaction while I am speaking with them.

While it is a burden to go thorugh this I certainly recognize and appreciate their protection mechanisms.

I must say that the hoops you have jumped through to buy from 8Dio are a bit much and no one could blame you if you do not ever buy from them again.

They should also realize this negative experience will affect others and will likely cause lost sales. If I were the Chief Financial Officer I think I would do everything in my power to turn this negative experience around and find a way to rectify this situation. Quickly!

But again, just me ;)

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”