Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got a Republic Resonator after looking for a long time. Check them out.

I'd like something with an integrated pickup too if I can. I'll take a look - I had been looking at Dobro as they seem to have a few that look good. Trying to keep it under $500 if I can.
Sweet child in time...

khanyz wrote:My Gordon-Smith is done but won't get it till Wed, Damn you Easter!

Beautiful! I love the sound of Korina.

picked this up today, Japanese 58 explorer copy, a Hurricane custom from the mid eighties.
Set mahogany neck, bound rosewood fingerboard, maple cap over 3 piece mahogany body.
No major dings/scratches. Cleaned up well but it weighs a ton. Likes a decent overdrive (tc electronic Nova).
whoops, forgot to reverse the image :roll:
ImageImage
Last edited by werp on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:picked this up today, Japanese 58 explorer copy, a Hurricane custom from the mid eighties.
Set mahogany neck, bound rosewood fingerboard, maple cap over 3 piece mahogany body.
No major dings/scratches. Cleaned up well but it weighs a ton. Likes a decent overdrive (tc electronic Nova).
Gorgeous! That must sound just like a Les Paul.

I love the Nova Drive. That's a very underrated pedal.

Slihghtly thinner than the Gibson BFG and not as muddy as the classic custom...pretty looking thing..
and yes, the Nova drive is excellent :D
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Nice find werp/
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

I see a little smile on Werp ^

congrats on that beautiful new instrument !

. . . always wanted an explorer to play my inner Edge
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

My 2 week trip in January, went to 30 .. then 90 then ... xx days. Finally got home for a few to find my Sandblasted strat. I put in my order to Warmoth for a replacement neck and some hardware upgrades.

Thought I'd share some thoughts. First the stock pickups suck (American Standard Single Coils). It is an extremely shrill guitar. Ice pick in ear drum territory. Absolutely no weight or presence. It would probably work as a studio guitar if you processed the shit out of it.

It is extremely light. Which is weird after playing my 57. However it plays really great. It has the vintage 9.5" radius, but with the C shape.

I'm trying to decide between Seymour Duncan Single Coil Stacks setup or bare knuckle Irish Tours. Thoughts?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:the stock pickups suck (American Standard Single Coils).
I like Fender's Fat 50's and Noiseless pickups. The Noiseless pickups don't have any chime or brightness to them, which makes them suck in the middle and neck positions but excellent in the bridge (unless you're going for a super bright surf sound).
I'm trying to decide between Seymour Duncan Single Coil Stacks setup or bare knuckle Irish Tours. Thoughts?
I've had good luck with Dimarzio's. An Area 58 or 61 in the neck, an Area 67 in the middle, and an Injector or Virtual Solo in the bridge is a really cool and versatile pickup combination, with each one's particular sounds complementing the positions nicely. A Vintage Heavy Blue 2 in the neck or bridge can also be cool if you're looking for a fat P90 sound, particularly if you keep the Area 67 in the middle to keep the in-between positions super quacky.

I'll add that my favorite Strat mod is a bridge/neck blend pot in place of the second tone pot and you really need to have hum cancelers to make that work.

Uncle E wrote: I'll add that my favorite Strat mod is a bridge/neck blend pot in place of the second tone pot and you really need to have hum cancelers to make that work.
The Bare Knuckles have an option for reverse wiring on the middle pickup so you can get humbucking in the 4 and 2 position. But, that wouldn't work for Bridge/Neck to get the mix knob working.

I have no way to evaluate other than buy and try. I've heard mixed reviews on the Duncan Stacks. They evidently sound more like humbuckers than single coils. I haven't heard anything about the DiMarzios. Wish there was more stuff around here to educate myself.

Duncans(neck & bridge) in my strat - highly recco'd here

Mister Natural wrote:Duncans(neck & bridge) in my strat - highly recco'd here
Are they stacks or regular single coils?

SJ_Digriz wrote: Are they stacks or regular single coils?
picture of the bridge, stock middle - the neck PU is simgle coil Duncan - prolly my fave position along with the phasy middle/neck position
peace

Uncle E wrote:I like Fender's Fat 50's and Noiseless pickups. The Noiseless pickups don't have any chime or brightness to them, which makes them suck in the middle and neck positions but excellent in the bridge
I have some fitted to my Strat and think that the lack of brightness is a benefit to any set of Strat pickups for middle and neck. The out of phase is bright enough, but for middle and particularly neck I like that more mellow tone. Can't say I think it's that bad anyway - just not as twangy as the originals.

Same reason as I don't like new strings on the Strat - I prefer it when they get that old string sound.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”