VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave

Caine123 wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
definitely, i am curious how it is compared to my FAVOURITE Serum. serum is really for me also a blast as i learn so much about synthesis with it and it is very easy.
This is the biggest issue for me. As far as wavetable synths go I have Serum and Cakewalk Z3ta and both are terrific. It could be argued that Serum usurps Z3ta in some ways, but I see them as inspiring and complementing each other overall.

After a couple of days (and about nine HOURS total) the big question concerning Nave for me is:

Do I need another wavetable synth besides the aforementioned two? I mean, does Nave have any features (besides what I consider a very attractive gui) that can complement the other two?

I outright don't see Nave usurping the others, though it could be argued some of the presets are both more fertile for experimentation and actually quite inspiring in themselves.

It's just...I have plenty of time to explore more, but at this point the bottom line is: ask me for just ONE wavetable synth, ONE, and I'd have to say Serum.

All this having been said, I mustn't go without disclosing that, as a synth collector it's quite probable I'll purchase a copy anyway, at least partly for the potential for updates Nave carries. In my eyes, Nave promises to be a major contender in the future, once past its infancy as a vst (though I now wonder how true that might be, since reading that the original developer flew away.)

Apostate wrote:(though I now wonder how true that might be, since reading that the original developer flew away.)
That's Largo, not Nave.

EvilDragon wrote:
Apostate wrote:(though I now wonder how true that might be, since reading that the original developer flew away.)
That's Largo, not Nave.
Then I'm guessing/hoping we have a LOT to look forward to from Nave. I should mention, after I wrote the post before this I opened up Serum and got happily lost programming it, once again. That doesn't mean anything necessarily against Nave, of course.

You know, I was just thinking too...my preference could have something to do with the relative unfamiliarity I have with the Nave workflow. I mean, Serum has its influences (I imagine anyone having programmed with Massive beforehand wouldn't have a hard time picking up Serum), whereas Nave seems more original in that dept, and thus a bit harder to adjust to (I certainly haven't entirely). Of course, I could be wrong, there could be analogous synths I'm not familiar with.
Ha ha suck it!

Arcvidean wrote:Nave doesn't show up in Cubase 6.5 for me, maybe it doesn't work in XP. The system requirements say 7 or 8 but sometimes they work in XP sometimes they don't, if they don't they usually won't install though. I upgraded to Waldorf Edition 2 and updated PPG Wave 3.V recently which works fine in XP so I assumed Nave would.
Arcvidean
Hi

we haven't developed Nave for XP and neither tested. Sorry!

Cheers
Rolf
Rolf from www.temporubato.com
Synthesizer microbrewery.

temporubato wrote:
Arcvidean wrote:Nave doesn't show up in Cubase 6.5 for me, maybe it doesn't work in XP. The system requirements say 7 or 8 but sometimes they work in XP sometimes they don't, if they don't they usually won't install though. I upgraded to Waldorf Edition 2 and updated PPG Wave 3.V recently which works fine in XP so I assumed Nave would.
Arcvidean
Hi

we haven't developed Nave for XP and neither tested. Sorry!

Cheers
Rolf
I think I just watched you on youtube, Rolf! I speak a tiny bit of German, so I was able to keep up some. Hoping for more tutorials, I expect my esteem for Nave is destined to continue growing the more I use and learn about it.

This is my first potentially super dumb question: there are I think 8 to 10 different oscillators in Nave, yet I can only see one at a time (in the control window). Is there a window I can see some of the other oscillators? I've been so busy experimenting with the wavetables I kind of got lost in regard to that. I saw nothing in the manual to reference.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote: All this having been said, I mustn't go without disclosing that, as a synth collector it's quite probable I'll purchase a copy anyway, at least partly for the potential for updates Nave carries. In my eyes, Nave promises to be a major contender in the future, once past its infancy as a vst (though I now wonder how true that might be, since reading that the original developer flew away.)
Hi

Nave is a joint project between Waldorf and myself, so I cannot flew myself :-) This is true for the iPad version which got a couple of updates and will further get updated like the plugin will do. Actually, right now I'm doing new stuff for Nave. We have a nice list of feature requests from the beta testers and our own ideas. If anybody wants to join the beta for upcoming updates, you can PM me. It's a very nice group of people.

Cheers
Rolf

temporubato wrote:
Apostate wrote: All this having been said, I mustn't go without disclosing that, as a synth collector it's quite probable I'll purchase a copy anyway, at least partly for the potential for updates Nave carries. In my eyes, Nave promises to be a major contender in the future, once past its infancy as a vst (though I now wonder how true that might be, since reading that the original developer flew away.)
Hi

Nave is a joint project between Waldorf and myself, so I cannot flew myself :-) This is true for the iPad version which got a couple of updates and will further get updated like the plugin will do. Actually, right now I'm doing new stuff for Nave. We have a nice list of feature requests from the beta testers and our own ideas. If anybody wants to join the beta for upcoming updates, you can PM me. It's a very nice group of people.

Cheers
Rolf
YES! (dancin')

Now I'll definitely be buying Nave, this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear! :clap:
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote: This is my first potentially super dumb question: there are I think 8 to 10 different oscillators in Nave, yet I can only see one at a time (in the control window). Is there a window I can see some of the other oscillators? I've been so busy experimenting with the wavetables I kind of got lost in regard to that. I saw nothing in the manual to reference.
Hi

I'm not sure if I got your question right:

Each Nave voice has 3 oscillators:

Wave 1
Wave 2
OSC 3 which is a virtual analogue one including a noise option

OSC 3 has a feature called 'uberwave' which adds detuned copies of itself that you'll get up to 8 copies. This works for the triangle, saw and square.

In addition, you can set in the "control" section a polyphonic unisono up to 4.

So, if you engage everything that would be 4 x (1 + 1 + 8 ) = 40 osc per note.

Of course, the unisono copies the whole voice and not just the osc.

Best
Rolf

temporubato wrote:
Apostate wrote: This is my first potentially super dumb question: there are I think 8 to 10 different oscillators in Nave, yet I can only see one at a time (in the control window). Is there a window I can see some of the other oscillators? I've been so busy experimenting with the wavetables I kind of got lost in regard to that. I saw nothing in the manual to reference.
Hi

I'm not sure if I got your question right:

Each Nave voice has 3 oscillators:

Wave 1
Wave 2
OSC 3 which is a virtual analogue one including a noise option

OSC 3 has a feature called 'uberwave' which adds detuned copies of itself that you'll get up to 8 copies. This works for the triangle, saw and square.

In addition, you can set in the "control" section a polyphonic unisono up to 4.

So, if you engage everything that would be 4 x (1 + 1 + 8 ) = 40 osc per note.

Of course, the unisono copies the whole voice and not just the osc.

Best
Rolf
That answers my question, thank you. It's becoming obvious to me that I just need to get used to the different layout in Nave. Different for me, of course!
Ha ha suck it!

somehow i dont think nave wont be so popular as serum, but it's early to say, it isnt so inviting especially for soundsets which focus mostly on edm stuff etc. but i really like the atmospheric presets etc. something i miss in serum as a start!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:somehow i dont think nave wont be so popular as serum, but it's early to say, it isnt so inviting especially for soundsets which focus mostly on edm stuff etc. but i really like the atmospheric presets etc. something i miss in serum as a start!

The more dissonant presets in Nave are often quite unique and inspiring. It's one of the attributes that sells it for me.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:
Caine123 wrote:somehow i dont think nave wont be so popular as serum, but it's early to say, it isnt so inviting especially for soundsets which focus mostly on edm stuff etc. but i really like the atmospheric presets etc. something i miss in serum as a start!

The more dissonant presets in Nave are often quite unique and inspiring. It's one of the attributes that sells it for me.
thats why it's still on my hard drive (demo) :D!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

The sounding of Nave is very different to Serum.
Nave as a very special character
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

I loved the Nave iOS version, so I couldn't wait for NAVE AU to be released. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much of a difference between both versions to justify the price difference.

Apostate wrote:

Me too

Return to “Instruments”