Sundog Scale Studio 2.0 BETA out now

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sundog Song Studio

Simon Posford wrote:Fast debuging!
For the keyboard shortcuts i mean totally control sundog with the keyboard like I can do in Ableton live or Windows (using the tab key to navigate beetween part of the software per eg)

For to see the harmmony in realtime i mean chords names not notes names.

For skinning stuff ok np but i had already finish my skin i just need this background color not white :p
Thanks for the clarifications :)! I will put that on my list.
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

Sundog 2.0 Beta 3 released!

You can download the new version here:
http://feelyoursound.com/public-beta-sundog/
  • Fix: In rare cases an error reappeared within 'update_text'. Apparently I didn't fix the bug completely in Beta 2 :? . This time it should be working.
Sorry for that! It's a pita to fix bugs that have no clear steps to reproduce them. Thanks to user Ben we could find a way to make it at least more likely to cause the error. After the new fix we never saw it again.

Greetings,
Hauke
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

I'm probably missing something obvious again, but is there a way to change the rhythm so that some notes sustain longer then others? It seems like everything plays as just 8th notes or 16ths or whatever, but I can't see how to intermix them.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I'm probably missing something obvious again, but is there a way to change the rhythm so that some notes sustain longer then others? It seems like everything plays as just 8th notes or 16ths or whatever, but I can't see how to intermix them.
Hi deastman,

the pattern sequencer works with a stop symbol ("#") to stop notes. Click on a step once and a "0" will show up (0 = basenote). Click a second time and you will see the "#". If you do that a third time, a "-" shows up (this does nothing / lets the current note run through).

Here are some examples:
0 - - - (note lasts for a quarter note)
0 - # - (note lasts for an eighth)
0 # - - (note lasts for a sixteenth)

P.S.: If you click on the Sundog logo inside Sundog, you can take a look at the offline help. The concept is explained under "Patterns" as well.

Cheers,
Hauke

When you say basenote, are you referring to bass note or route note?

Musical Gym wrote:When you say basenote, are you referring to bass note or route note?
This depends on the "Source" mode of the instrument. If you use "Scale Notes" as source, then "0" refers to the root of the scale (e.g. E in E Minor). If you use "Chord Notes" instead, then "0" refers to the lowest note of the current chord.
(And of course it also depends on the Pattern Trigger editor. You can freely change the pitch of the triggered pattern in the editor. This can cause the pitch of "0" to refer to a different note of the scale/chord.)

Thanks for explanation. Basenote is a new term for me.

hauke wrote:
deastman wrote:I'm probably missing something obvious again, but is there a way to change the rhythm so that some notes sustain longer then others? It seems like everything plays as just 8th notes or 16ths or whatever, but I can't see how to intermix them.
Hi deastman,

the pattern sequencer works with a stop symbol ("#") to stop notes. Click on a step once and a "0" will show up (0 = basenote). Click a second time and you will see the "#". If you do that a third time, a "-" shows up (this does nothing / lets the current note run through).

Here are some examples:
0 - - - (note lasts for a quarter note)
0 - # - (note lasts for an eighth)
0 # - - (note lasts for a sixteenth)

P.S.: If you click on the Sundog logo inside Sundog, you can take a look at the offline help. The concept is explained under "Patterns" as well.

Cheers,
Hauke
Thank you. I should have read the manual! Actually, I did look at some parts of it, but obviously not that section. I'm off to give it a spin now...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Using beta 3 now (I think) and just wanted to tell that, while I did not get it to work with Cubase Elements, it works as it should with Cubase Artist (the Elements versions really has many limitations, one seems to be handling of incoming midi) (also used it with Logic and Ableton Lite without problems).

neinneinnein wrote:Using beta 3 now (I think) and just wanted to tell that, while I did not get it to work with Cubase Elements, it works as it should with Cubase Artist (the Elements versions really has many limitations, one seems to be handling of incoming midi) (also used it with Logic and Ableton Lite without problems).
Hi neinneinnein,

thanks for letting me know about your experience with the different Cubase versions! I don't know much about the limitations of Cubase Elements, but I think you are right: Probably they will put some limits on the MIDI features to keep this version "lite".

P.S.: I think beta 3 will be the same version as the final release. I still have to finish some parts of the manual / tutorial, but the official release is coming within the next two weeks.

Cheers,
Hauke

Congrats with the release of 2.0!

Even if Sundog makes song sketching fast and fun, there can be prolonged sessions when trying to come up with melodies.
For this use, I think it would help if the Pattern Trigger-view would be larger overrall.
There is a zoom along time-axis, but this is at the expense of overview.
The channel selection/ Instruments-sections does not have to be that big maybe, if that could help making the pattern editor somehwat bigger.

Really love this app.

neinneinnein wrote:Congrats with the release of 2.0!

Even if Sundog makes song sketching fast and fun, there can be prolonged sessions when trying to come up with melodies.
For this use, I think it would help if the Pattern Trigger-view would be larger overrall.
There is a zoom along time-axis, but this is at the expense of overview.
The channel selection/ Instruments-sections does not have to be that big maybe, if that could help making the pattern editor somehwat bigger.

Really love this app.
Yep, this point is on my list. I will see what I can do :)!

hi hauke,

just bought sundgo, looking good so far,

agree with the above, the pattern editor could be a little bigger.

im also having a problem, im on windows 8.1 x64, cubase 8.1 x64 using loopbe1 as you recommend in your tutorial vids, but when i set 2 instruments up in cubase, with loopbe as the midi input (ie from sundog) and then set the midi channel in cubase to 1 and 2 respectively both instruments seem to be playing off channel 1 from sundog even though the channels are set to 1 and 2 from the triggered parts in sundog.

any ideas on what i could be doing wrong?

thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

unfortunately I don't own Cubase, and there is no proper demo version, so I can only guess here :/.

I would guess that you not only have to set the channels in Cubase to 1 and 2, but that you also have to "arm" the tracks with a recording symbol or so. From my experience this is a very common approach in quite a few DAWs, so maybe this might work here as well.

Maybe someone else could help us here? If anybody could provide some hints or screenshots I would happily do another guide on my website like I did for other DAWs.

Cheers,
Hauke

thanks hauke,

the tracks are 'armed', im not sure what else to do either, ill travel over to teh cubase forums to see if anyone knows and let you know if anything comes up, there must be a lot of cubase users out there

Tony

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”