Ardour 4.0 released (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://community.ardour.org/node/8725

Ardour 4.0 released

The Ardour project is pleased to announce the release of Ardour 4.0. This release brings many technical improvements, as well as new features and over a thousand bug fixes.

The biggest changes in this release:

Better cross platform support. Ardour now runs on GNU/Linux, OS X and for the first time, Windows.
JACK is no longer required, making it easier than ever for new users to get Ardour up and running (though JACK is still usable with Ardour).
The user interface has seen a thorough overhaul, leading to a more modern and polished experience.
Last edited by pc999 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big news.
Look forward to trying this out

It kinda looks good.

But, is it any good, how's it's piano roll, does it have an step sequencer, who use this?

Harrisson Mixbus v3 ???

:hyper:
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Ardour 2 (Mixbuss) was good for recording audio , but I had problems with Ardour 3 with audio drop outs and just weird buggy behavior , but don't know if it was A3 or just the Linux distro I was using or both . Sounds to me like 4 will be a good release a lot of people helped develop it and fund it , so this exciting news . Also the move away from Jack(optional) and also a Windows version seems a step in the right direction . As for its midi stuff , we'll see I know A3 was very midi juniorish .... Anyways its good news for everyone that wants a cheap host and also tells you Mixbuss2 on Windows/Mac/and Linux is not to far away .

Too expensive for my taste.

For $12 ($1 minimum monthly) there is quite a lot on offer for the money. Might not sway users of other DAWS immediately (or anytime soon) but there appears to be plenty on offer here for a very small outlay. Not bad at all. :wink:

so Waves Live is based on Ardour 4... thats interesting

christianmusicmaker wrote:For $12 ($1 minimum monthly) there is quite a lot on offer for the money. Might not sway users of other DAWS immediately (or anytime soon) but there appears to be plenty on offer here for a very small outlay. Not bad at all. :wink:
$12 ($1 monthly minimum) is for one year of upgrades. You can get the current full version any time for just $1 (minimum)

Yes a $1 one time donation gets you the current version . I did the subscription donation before Ardour 3 came out and then ended it after being dissappionted with version 3 . I may donate and try version 4 it sounds promising .

Seems I misunderstood the pricing. I was also thinking that the minimum was $12/y. The one year update for Sonar Artist costs me only around twice as much as an owner of the current version, so that got me thinking about "expensive".

But to be fair, $12/y or even just $1 can hardly be called expensive. I'll probably give it a try and maybe donate some more.

fedexnman wrote:Yes a $1 one time donation gets you the current version . I did the subscription donation before Ardour 3 came out and then ended it after being dissappionted with version 3 . I may donate and try version 4 it sounds promising .
Ardour 3 was also a disappointment to me (and there is some code written by me there and in v2).
V4 seams solid from the release notes, and the collaboration of both harrison and waves on it gives me some hope (there were never a v3 based harrison mixbus).

At the end it seems like v3 was never ready.
Last edited by kurviak on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes , seems Ardour 4 might be pretty solid , I'll probably do the $12 year upgrade thingy .

..amd Windows :?

Only works on computers using AMD processors? :clown:

Numanoid wrote:..amd Windows :?

Only works on computers using AMD processors? :clown:
Why? This is strange...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”