Nave vs. Serum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:
Caine123 wrote:the wavetablewindow sucks.
Yep, it is a bit tedious. I have suggested to Rolf to implement a dropdown with columns instead:

It's highly likely that this will happen in an update.
thanks a lot! :)

well i tested it about an hour and for me it is somewhat fiddly, the knobs behave not well when scrolling with the mouse, the wavetablewindow sucks (sorry i just dont feel sorry when ppl release a plugin which behaves like a 10 or more year old plugin in some aspects), the mod matrix is standard but with Hive and Serum i just dont like those clicking matrixes anymore...., Waveediting seems to be very complex but fiddly or i didnt understand it, FX Slots could be better worked out ;).

it seems to be a good synth but with much more learning curve than serum!
it would be interesting to read other opinions especially sound designers who have both synths and why they prefer this or that.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

chk071 wrote:The picture shows the drop down menu with the wavetables to choose from. Surely not the preset browser.
I can't see the picture still and he seemed to be on about presets. Never mind, you still don't need to use arrows to navigate it, just use the dropdown menu. It would be nice if it had submenus rather than just the one long list (which is coming I believe), but many other wavetable synths have similar dropdown menus (Spire for example).

chk071 wrote:It's the wavetable browser, not the presets. :)
Oh I see. I thought maybe there are different versions.

As I'm moving to another house, I unplugged the sound card (saffire 6 usb) and used asio4all for my integrated sound card. I played with my synths (using the same 280HD headphone). I was shocked that many synths don't sound the same! Nave sounded harsh but clear. Still nice especially for dubstep and effects, but with the saffire sound card it sounded much nicer!
Massive sounded great much nicer than in the external sound card! While Loom sounded almost the same! Crazy! I know I need monitors but how can I judge Nave now?!

I'm currently demoing them both. I don't mind Nave's UI at all, even though Serum's is a bit more slick, and has the cool animated parts. In many ways though I prefer Nave's larger knobs and they are easy to change with the mouse wheel. I'm not sure why anyone is having an issue with them.

I think they both sound great, and it's going to be a hard choice to choose as I don't think I can justify buying both. I'm currently erring on the side of Nave since it's much more CPU friendly and has better presets for my taste. I really hate having to raise my buffer size to accommodate CPU heavy instruments, hence why I generally prefer to use hardware instruments, but there are some soft synths that are of course well worth using.

barryfell wrote:I'm currently demoing them both. I don't mind Nave's UI at all, even though Serum's is a bit more slick, and has the cool animated parts. In many ways though I prefer Nave's larger knobs and they are easy to change with the mouse wheel. I'm not sure why anyone is having an issue with them.
And Nave has similarly cool animated parts too.

aMUSEd wrote:
barryfell wrote:I'm currently demoing them both. I don't mind Nave's UI at all, even though Serum's is a bit more slick, and has the cool animated parts. In many ways though I prefer Nave's larger knobs and they are easy to change with the mouse wheel. I'm not sure why anyone is having an issue with them.
I don't see any. What is animated for you?

barryfell wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
I'm thinking of the animated wave editor where you can transform a 3D representation of the wave in realtime using various sliders, also like NAVE it has a 3D animated display (which you can zoom into using the mouse wheel) where you can sweep the wave scan position - the only thing it doesn't have (which I would like to see added) is for the position to change visually when it is modulated (obviously it changes audibly but it would be cool to see, although I guess that the reason it doesn't is the waveform display is much more 3D and larger than Serum's so it might be too demanding graphically - as it is it needs GL enabled graphics)

aMUSEd wrote:
barryfell wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
I'm thinking of the animated wave editor where you can transform a 3D representation of the wave in realtime using various sliders, also like NAVE it has a 3D animated display (which you can zoom into using the mouse wheel) where you can sweep the wave scan position - the only thing it doesn't have (which I would like to see added) is for the position to change visually when it is modulated (obviously it changes audibly but it would be cool to see, although I guess that the reason it doesn't is the waveform display is much more 3D and larger than Serum's so it might be too demanding graphically - as it is it needs GL enabled graphics)
Yeah you can rotate the waveform around and move the scan position, but that's not what i'd call animation. Likewise i'd like to see everything visibly animated by modulation as it is in Serum and many other instruments and plugins.

Like I said I was primarily thinking of the wave editor, maybe you haven't found that yet? Sure it would look nice if it was visibly animated by modulations too but because the graphics demands for what Nave is displaying are much more I'm not sure it would be realistic - it's just eye candy at the end of the day.

aMUSEd wrote:Like I said I was primarily thinking of the wave editor, maybe you haven't found that yet? Sure it would look nice if it was visibly animated by modulations too but because the graphics demands for what Nave is displaying are much more I'm not sure it would be realistic - it's just eye candy at the end of the day.
I've used the wave editor but as I say, it's not animated.

OK you obviously seem to be just referring to it animating in response to modulation sources, not animation per se.

aMUSEd wrote:OK you obviously seem to be just referring to it animating in response to modulation sources, not animation per se.
Yeah animated as in moving without personal direct control. Almost all instruments/plugins controls are animated in terms of the graphics changing when you change parameters.

EnGee wrote:
As I'm moving to another house, I unplugged the sound card (saffire 6 usb) and used asio4all for my integrated sound card. I played with my synths (using the same 280HD headphone). I was shocked that many synths don't sound the same! Nave sounded harsh but clear. Still nice especially for dubstep and effects, but with the saffire sound card it sounded much nicer!
Massive sounded great much nicer than in the external sound card! While Loom sounded almost the same! Crazy! I know I need monitors but how can I judge Nave now?!

I think what you needs is an ABX testing tool to make sure you aren't fooling yourself...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
EnGee wrote:

I think what you needs is an ABX testing tool to make sure you aren't fooling yourself...
Yes I think it is a useful tool or I should just test synths when I don't feel tired or sleepy! Anyway, Nave is a very interesting synth mainly because of its low cpu usage which is a rare thing for a new synth these days.

barryfell wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:OK you obviously seem to be just referring to it animating in response to modulation sources, not animation per se.
Yeah animated as in moving without personal direct control. Almost all instruments/plugins controls are animated in terms of the graphics changing when you change parameters.
How? It's just knobs changing position. THAT is not animation. What Nave does in the wavetable display is. Or why would you think it needs an OpenGL capable graphics card to run?

Return to “Instruments”