Synth sync - most interesting one?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr Spectrasonics talked about the Oberheim OB8 in the Omnisphere 2 sonicstate vid. I am not sure exactly about what he was doing with the sampled wavetable, he says they sample the harmonics of the sync settings or something.
Soft sync, hard sync. Are there more interesting vst/real synth sync implementations?

The hard and soft sync in Aurora by xoxos is amazing.

Could you explain why Aurora has an amazing synch sound? I just tried the demo, don't know what is going on.

When I read your post is the first vst synth that came to my mind, the soft sync option(reversing soft sync) is quite rare to find in other vsti.

Soft sync doesn't have an exact meaning - it basically means things that involve sync but aren't hard sync, hard sync being "reset the slave every time the master completes one cycle" - which creates a pattern of a certain numbers of wavecycles crammed into the space of one, with a sharp discontinuity as the wave is reset for pitch offsets which aren't whole harmonics of the master oscillator.

Soft sync can be "as hard sync but reverse the wave direction". Xoxox's synth has this, it's also on the Alesis ION hardware synth.

Soft sync can also be "as hard sync, but instead of resetting right back to phase zero of the wavecycle, go a fraction of the way" - in this case there's an "amount" knob to let you morph between hard sync and no sync at all.

Soft sync can also be "as hard sync, but only do the reset when the phases of the two waves coincide to within a certain window" - in this case you need an amount knob to specify the size of the window. This is how I believe the soft sync in u-he ACE works. I like to call this "slippery sync" as it's like hard sync, but with middling values of "hardness" the sync won't trigger, creating long patterns of subharmonics, engine noises, and if you get the right values, some really cool noises :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Thanks Sendy ,I do not speak English very well, I could never explain so perfectly :)

Hope it helps. It's kinda hard to explain without diagrams.

I may have gotten the last two types of sync the wrong way around, I tend to get them mixed up. One can be thought of as "comparative sync" - compare the two phases, if they are within a certain set distance, do the sync retrigger. The other can be thought of as "partial sync" - always sync, but instead of returning to zero phase, go a part of the way there (set by the knob). ACE uses one of these two, they sound kinda similar. I'll be checking next time I'm in my DAW. :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Instruments”