sample or synthesise drums?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some will do both but do any of you have a marked preference for designing your own percussion? I dislike the fact that samples are more static than synthesised instruments

drum sample is not bad at all, you can do layering,EQ to create different sound shapes...

and synthesis is more advanced and provide you more control than sample

sample is portable and efficient,for people want to get the sound fast,just want to get into composing fast as possible,don't want to spend alots time to mess around with synthesis

but synthesis can help you get unique results
My new synth1 bank "Star-nam"

available on kvraudio! Grap it!

Use both. I usually syntesize the body of kick with simple sine wave and overlay it with sample to add some character.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:Use both. I usually syntesize the body of kick with simple sine wave and overlay it with sample to add some character.
Yeah makes sense guess. I prefer not to synthesise drums from scratch. I found out how quite accidentally which was fun. I was playing around with a BP filter and pitch envelope and suddenly my nice melodic pluck turned into a kick. I just end up spending way too long tweaking things to get the kick into that perfect zone. Its hard enough with dedicated synths like drumatic where only relevant parameters are displayed!

Does anyone find producing kicks designed to sit in a mix is harder than producing a kick for solo use?

I often use a combination of a sampled drum break and synthesized kick / snare ... or sometimes sampled kick & snare. Usually my synthesized drums get sampled anyway.

Return to “Sound Design”