Arturia's new plugins : Solina V and Matrix 12V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Matrix 12 V2 Solina V2

deltaMACHINE wrote:with the xplorer editor for the hardware you can load the syx and see all the parameters!
it takes 5 minutes for a patch to program but so you can have all the patches inside of matrix v.
now i have to say the software sounds like the hardware ;)
Yes, I already made that point above.

But when you have a few hundred sounds to convert, do this manually patch by patch is not that exciting - hence I prefer to find a way to automate this, as long as the effort to automate doesn't outweigh the task it's designed to do in the first place - ie, for fifty banks of patches, yes, for one bank, maybe not so much...

yes it takes a lot of time !

K, having a quick look at this now. It certainly seems doable.

The existing program out there that dumps a syx file to text has a less than ideal output but, more seriously, the modulation assignments it displays are incorrect. I think the syx is fairly straightforward so I'll may well write my own sysex -> values parser and use that to drive the M12V...

so I'll may well write my own sysex -> values parser and use that to drive the M12V
Thank you for the remarks and your effort! :tu:

Do you think about making it available for others too when it's ready? That would be really great beely!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:Do you think about making it available for others too when it's ready? That would be really great beely!
This doesn't really make sense - I can't directly convert a syx file into a M12V patch as it's a proprietary format (actually, just looking at those files now, it looks like they are text files so it *might* be possible - which would be preferable and far less hacky).

All I plan to do is to convert the popular banks that are available on the net (probably about 6 banks I've found) to M12V files that people can use, and I'm doing this via methods that will only work for me, rather than a generic solution that can be made available to others and work on different computers etc which is *way* more effort. It'll just be a quick n dirty hack ;)

And if people find other banks/patches around, they can post here and we can get them converted as well. But likely, after those 6 or so banks are done, there will be no need of any more conversions anyway. :)

Banks I've found and have earmarked for conversion are:
- Johnson
- Sanchez
- Springer
- Urbanek
- XevenT
- Zipper
- XP_94
- "Patches" (some misc stuff)
Last edited by beely on Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beely wrote:The existing program out there that dumps a syx file to text has a less than ideal output but, more seriously, the modulation assignments it displays are incorrect. I think the syx is fairly straightforward so I'll may well write my own sysex -> values parser and use that to drive the M12V...
Ok, got this code running on my Mac system, and fixed some bugs and the display of mod destinations, so being able to use this will save a bit of development time...

Little update on this - I now have code that translates a syx file into a M12V native patch file, converting all the parameter values as necessary.

I need to do a bit of testing to make sure all parameters are correct and handled properly, then I can start the conversions... so maybe in a couple of days or so I'll be there, if I can fit in the time... :)

So, I've got conversions from syx directly to the M12V format working (after a few fun little complications along the way) and all the parameters and mod matrix stuff comes over intact.

One thing to note - I don't know about the accuracy of Arturia's emulation, but it seems you can't do a direct value mapping between the hardware and software and expect things to sound the same.

If I compare the values of an M12 preset from the presets syx file I have, to the same actual Matrix-12 preset included in the M12V, you can see that many of the parameters have been hand tweaked a bit in the plugin, presumably to match the hardware more closely.

(It's a shame Toby stopped checking in to this thread when he left Arturia, as he would have probably been able to offer some advice on this.)

Soo.. all I can really do straight away is convert the patches directly, as I don't have any hardware with which to compare and tweak. This means the audible results of the patches might be a bit off to the hardware, without any reference.

Now the conversion process is done I will go through some of the presets and patches I have to assess if there is anything that can be done programmatically to help (eg, if the filter is always brighter in the plugin by a few %, or mod amounts are slightly greater in the plugin, automatically apply compensation for that during conversion).

Unless someone fancies lending me a Matrix-12 to check... ;)

Ok, as promised, here are the Xpander SYX files converted to M12V format.

I tried to upload these via KVR's patch upload feature but it kept giving me errors, so I'll just include the link here (below) for now.

Oberheim Matrix-12 / Xpander patches from various sources on the internet, converted into Arturia M12V format patches.

The following banks are included - most also have a readme txt file from the original SYX file:

Factory M12.matrix
Factory Xpander.matrix
GStormElectro.matrix
Johnson.matrix
Sanchez.matrix
Springer.matrix
Urbanek.matrix
XP_94.matrix
Xpansions.matrix
Zipper.matrix

————————————————————————————

To use these with the Arturia M12V:

- Unpack the archive
- Hit the “Import” button in the M12V interface, and navigate to the first *.matrix file.
- The patches will be imported, and available in the:
User -> Converted Syx -> *Bankname* section of the Arturia M12V browser.
- Repeat for the other banks

Note: When comparing the factory SYX data with Arturia’s included Matrix-12 presets, there are some differences in the patch values, suggesting that Arturia hand-tweaked the parameters in the plugin to make the sound a closer match to the same sound on the hardware.

As I have no access to an Xpander or Matrix-12, I’ve not been able to do this so the patches have been converted to the same parameters in the plugin. Any differences in sound between the patch in the plugin, and the same patch on the hardware, can (hopefully!) be attributed to Arturia’s plugin implementation, rather than conversion errors!

The patches were converted with the aid of Greg Baumont’s Xpander SysEx documentation and XpanderSinglePatchViewer source code, with additional tweaks and bugfixes, and conversion to M12V file format code by myself.

Any problems with the file or patches, or if you can tweak the patches with the aid of the hardware to make them more accurate, then please let me know so we can update the archive accordingly.

- Beely (KVR)

Download:
Xpander SYX for M12V (685K, 15MB Uncompressed)
(Edit: Updated link as new Dropbox policies broke all old links)

Thanks to deltaMachine for providing the GStormElectro patches - all the rest were sourced by me from various sources around the internet, notably the M12 resource page and some other random sources. This file contains basically all the M12/Xpander sysex patches than can be (easily) found on the net.

If you have other patches to convert, then please let me know, along with whether the files can be shared or whether they are private (eg, your own personal patches you do not want to make available publicly).
Last edited by beely on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you very much for the work & effort Beely! :tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:Thank you very much for the work & effort Beely! :tu:
You're welcome!

There are some really nice patches in here.

I'm finding that sometimes the M12V modulation is a bit more severe than I'd expect in a given patch, so for patches that sound a little out of tune or wild in the pitch department often benefit from pulling down the mod amounts to VCO1 and VCO2 frequency to be a bit more tame.

Beely, thanks very much for all your work on these patches. I'm going to check them out this weekend. No worries if things need a little further tweaking. Your efforts are very much appreciated! :tu:

Thank you so much! :) Really appreciated :).
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

awesome work beely! thanks for your time!!

Hy,

sorry beely but the patches are not right !

With the xplorer editor you get exact the sound like in the hardware!!

Return to “Instruments”