Best Antivirus Software for a Windows DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

planetearth wrote:
Kaboom75 wrote:Windows Defender comes with Windows 7 and 8 is the best.
No offense, but Windows Defender isn't an anti-virus product, and Microsoft doesn't even recommend it if you can get anything else--even for free. Defender only looks for specific malware that attacks known Windows exploits, and it isn't updated on a daily (or even weekly) basis.

Defender is installed an enabled by default with Windows, and if you install nothing else, you'll already have it. (If you do install an AV product Windows recognizes, Defender is disabled.) But Defender won't protect you against "drive-by downloads" (on infected Websites), e-mail attachments or anything that real anti-virus software tackles.

Steve
Windows defender and Security essentials was put into one and named Windows Defender for Windows 8 it installs with the Win 8 install. It's anti virus and anti malware . I get an update for it daily. You might have to download Security essentials if you are using an older OS. I've updated my other post to be more clear.

Info about Win 8 Defender http://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/security ... #antivirus

loungepanda wrote:Antivirus is just bloatware for the most part. Browser addons are more important, as far as I'm concerned.
Addons (flash, java, adobe pdf) are one big security issue, I agree.

If you de-activate them and you keep your system up-to-date that is already a big deal
making a AV software superfluous.

So what are the friendly good antivirus/internet security suits these days?

I doubt I have some malware. I don't know! I thought to buy an internet security suit that has 3 to 5 users installation (family pack). I'm between Norton and Bit Defender.

What you suggest?

EnGee wrote:So what are the friendly good antivirus/internet security suits these days?

I doubt I have some malware. I don't know! I thought to buy an internet security suit that has 3 to 5 users installation (family pack). I'm between Norton and Bit Defender.

What you suggest?
Install Malwarebytes, and nothing else. Forget the antivirus. As others already said, Windows Defender is enough for that task, and Malwarebytes wil take care of the rest (which, nowadays, is the real threat, IMO)
Last edited by fmr on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Well, I read a post in the net that reminded me about the ISP free offer of internet protection, so I checked and found that they offer McAffee for free while I use their service :D

I have installed it in both PCs (the other one is used by my mother for her series and movies mainly in the living room). It seems fine as it replaced default Windows protection :) I need to scan everything now and then will test my music setup.

As fmr is saying, Windows Defender (free) together with Malwarebytes (around 40 USD per year) is a pretty good solution for the end-user.

I was running that combination for a few years, but now I'm running FortiClient (free from Fortinet, which is connected and exchange information with my FortiGate firewall) and SentinelOne (which is an autonomous endpoint protection, a next-gen endpoint protection if you will). But these solutions are more aimed for the enterprise business.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Note that some security suites cause issues with Windows updates... I'd double the suggestion to use Defender plus Malware Bytes. Even though i only use Defender now. Don't know what Malware Bytes offers on top of that.

McAfee seems very good (not strange for me as I used it several years in the past 1998~2005). It did hung when I tried to full scan though, but a simple utility from their website has solved the problem.

I also have tested Cubase and it works fine. So, for me I have found a good (and free because of the ISP offer) solution :D

EnGee wrote:McAfee seems very good (not strange for me as I used it several years in the past 1998~2005). It did hung when I tried to full scan though, but a simple utility from their website has solved the problem.

I also have tested Cubase and it works fine. So, for me I have found a good (and free because of the ISP offer) solution :D
McAfee is literally cancer for your computer. It has been among the poorly performing AV products for years. These days you'd be better off even with Windows Defender.
No signature here!

People saying that there's no need for AV have no idea what they are talking about. One most definitely needs a good AV. Especially if you use your DAW also for general computing and surfing the net.

Windows Defender in last two Windows 10 versions has been improved quite nicely. So it's a minimum. In that case (or actually in any case) I would install VirtualBox and do all my internet needing stuff inside a virtual machine.

A good endpoint protection suite is not only scanning your computer for viruses but also does web filtering (eg protecting malware distribution sites and ads), exploit prevention, behavioral based intrusion prevention and firewalling and so on. For today's security landscape a mutli-layer security strategy is an absolute must.

The best free endpoint protection is currently Kasperksy free, no doubt about it. Avast is still ok but it has become quite annoying lately with a lots of bloat and constant advertising for itself. Sophos free is another solid contender though I personally don't like that it installs tens of different services and has only a web based management interface.
No signature here!

Emisoft ... No computer slowdown that is detectab!e even when recording at very low latencies. 1 click suspend for installing updates..software etc.

Simple - dont go to unknown websites. Dont click links in emails. Dont download shit that is unofficial. Dont torrent/kodi/pirate. Dont connect use browser plugins addons. Dont surf the net on your working pc.

Do back up/image your install to a seperate drive (2 minimum).
Do keep your rig upto date.

Good advice but install an antivirus program that is updated regular!y and is compatible with low latency audio.The free products don't cut it. if you share files with clients you need some protection beyond abstinence.

MFXxx wrote:Simple - dont go to unknown websites. Dont click links in emails. Dont download shit that is unofficial. Dont torrent/kodi/pirate. Dont connect use browser plugins addons. Dont surf the net on your working pc.

Do back up/image your install to a seperate drive (2 minimum).
Do keep your rig upto date.

The press really did one hell of a good job to scare the shit out of people, when it comes to computing and the internet.

robotmonkey wrote: A good endpoint protection suite is not only scanning your computer for viruses but also does web filtering (eg protecting malware distribution sites and ads), exploit prevention, behavioral based intrusion prevention and firewalling and so on. For today's security landscape a mutli-layer security strategy is an absolute must.
That' where enters Malwarebytes. And it's unbeatable in that task, besides being one of the best behavior protection software I ever had. And malware is the real menace these days.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”