Allomerus - A Normal Life - (Now with video)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cool. I like that sax. Enjoyed. Thanks, Allomerus.
No longer a moderator.

Thanks DH! Glad you enjoyed it. :)
I love the guitar synth sax patch. It sounds so realistic!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I like the intro to this best.

oh NM, asked and answered[/Walken/cowbell]

Allomerus wrote:Thanks Tricky. Glad you enjoyed the liveness of it. :)
Nearly everything is indeed live, however the sax was Guitar synth and the drums electronic. ;)
I don't actually smoke :o but I had a cold when I recorded this, liked the sound of it though... :hihi:
That's actually very funny :-D I did a track called "will she come home tonight" with these really terrible vocals, because I had been screaming my guts out in my car or something, to vent (not recommended). The result was kind of cool though. Take advantage of every opportunity ;-)

I didn't think about the brass being synths because the real instrumentation made me not look for unreal instrumentation (nice how that works).

This song is fun, by the way :-) It had me trying to find a movie(?) quote on YouTube that was used in Leaf's first album ... Something like "everyone wants a normal life, but WTF is a normal life?" Couldn't find it.

While it's not the style i'm generally drawn to, I liked the instrumentation and the overall playful tone of the song. I appreciated the commentary too. I surely haven't aimed for what's normal in my culture (married, 1.5 children, working for the man, white picket fence, church, etc) and I was not able to get the parts I actively wanted (stable personal relationships and employment doing something I am skilled at for employers that aren't evil).

It's great to hear a full production of this kind, for listening, rather than yet more dance music ;-) I don't dance :hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I didn't notice the drums being synthetic either. BFD?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

jancivil wrote:I like the intro to this best.

oh NM, asked and answered[/Walken/cowbell]
Thanks jancivil! :)
Bandcamp

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Allomerus wrote:Thanks Tricky. Glad you enjoyed the liveness of it. :)
Nearly everything is indeed live, however the sax was Guitar synth and the drums electronic. ;)
I don't actually smoke :o but I had a cold when I recorded this, liked the sound of it though... :hihi:
That's actually very funny :-D I did a track called "will she come home tonight" with these really terrible vocals, because I had been screaming my guts out in my car or something, to vent (not recommended). The result was kind of cool though. Take advantage of every opportunity ;-)

I didn't think about the brass being synths because the real instrumentation made me not look for unreal instrumentation (nice how that works).

This song is fun, by the way :-) It had me trying to find a movie(?) quote on YouTube that was used in Leaf's first album ... Something like "everyone wants a normal life, but WTF is a normal life?" Couldn't find it.

While it's not the style i'm generally drawn to, I liked the instrumentation and the overall playful tone of the song. I appreciated the commentary too. I surely haven't aimed for what's normal in my culture (married, 1.5 children, working for the man, white picket fence, church, etc) and I was not able to get the parts I actively wanted (stable personal relationships and employment doing something I am skilled at for employers that aren't evil).

It's great to hear a full production of this kind, for listening, rather than yet more dance music ;-) I don't dance :hihi:
HI Jace. Thanks for giving this a listen and for your detailed response. :)

It amuses me that the things you slave over tweaking and altering often don't sound as good as the the first take or the serendipitous moments that are just right. Like the sore throat being the right for the vocal effect... Does any DAW have a soar throat effect for instance?

I like your observation about the brass. The end bit is sequenced but the sax solo played on guitar makes it seem more real I think as a guitar bends notes in a natural way like a real sax...

Playful tone is a great comment as this is a track that is supposed to wink at you.... ;)

Good luck with your version of a Normal Life!

Cheers,
John
Bandcamp

Jace-BeOS wrote:I didn't notice the drums being synthetic either. BFD?
Paul plays drums on an electronic kit. So the sounds are synthetic but the playing isn't. Helps create the vibe of this track... :)
Bandcamp

Ah, very cool. How we input stuff really impacts how "real" a synth sounds.

I'd love an electronic drum kit. I have an actual real kit but I've disassembled it because it takes up the entire room and I live in a row house...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Ah, very cool. How we input stuff really impacts how "real" a synth sounds.

I'd love an electronic drum kit. I have an actual real kit but I've disassembled it because it takes up the entire room and I live in a row house...
The great thing about an electronic kit is you can play many different sounds (a bit like an electric guitar player can) and it takes up less space. Also you can play with headphones if you have others in the house who want to sleep! ;)

Do you actually use BeOS?
Bandcamp

I have added a video I made for this track...

This video features some sculptures from Bruno’s Sculpture Garden in Marysville, Victoria. If you can, we highly recommend a visit to see the gardens first hand and to see Bruno’s quirky sculptures in all their glory!

The Time lapses are from locations in Melbourne Australia.

This is a repost of this song, only this time with a video. I couldn’t resist adding Bruno’s amazing work as they compliment the sentiment of the video perfectly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9aeFu-gUbE
Bandcamp

The sculpture garden was a good idea but the shaky video makes it hard to watch. It would be a lot of work but in a good video editor you can stabilize the video with 2D tracking to remove unwanted movement.

Frantz wrote:The sculpture garden was a good idea but the shaky video makes it hard to watch. It would be a lot of work but in a good video editor you can stabilize the video with 2D tracking to remove unwanted movement.
Thanks for your feedback Frantz. Believe it or not I did run each clip through a stabilizer. But you are right it is still a bit too wonky, so I activated the YouTube editor to stabilize it some more. It is mostly better now... It almost has a gentle wonkiness which could be construed as being in keeping with the vibe of the song, he says hopefully...

I have been considering buying a steadycam device for this very reason. e.g. Steadycam Curve

:)
Bandcamp

cool video, John. i liked the weird sculptures it went well with the lyrics haha
i'm not much of an outdoorsy person so this was a nice peek at nature for me. thanks :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Allomerus wrote:I activated the YouTube editor to stabilize it some more. It is mostly better now.
Yes, it's improved. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”