Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They could at least say in which year they plan to release the next version, i don't think that's asked too much. If they release if in the year after then, i don't think there would be too much of a complain. Jeez, Steinberg has a fixed release cycle, and they always release the next version at that time.

They did say it would be out in 2015. Read back a few pages.

You mean this?
Additional Studio One Control functionality planned for a late Summer 2015 update includes control for the Studio One Fat Channel plug-in, and markers.
Hmm...

jens wrote:
Compyfox wrote:
24MTS wrote:Do you wanna know all that is to know right now about Studio One v3?

This, from around 6.00:
Basically what I said a couple of pages back
.".
Yes, ecactly! He said nothing of any relevance, you said nothing of any relevance...
At least we're not considered talking BS. *phew* :hihi:

But here is where I think you're a bit off. I did not mention anything about a possible release (since I didn't get to know that), neither did one of the official Presonus guys. But what we both did, were mentioning a rough time frame for the release of the new "hardware", which is supposed to be bundled with Studio One. And that is currently aimed at "late summer".

Another hint in the video linked by 24MTS is that the interviewer mentioned "hardware updates", which confirms a closer integration into Studio One - all in the making. (beta tester small talk not included)

So even if the official stuff is still "rumors" - we have a possible rough release date. And as I mentioned earlier - we still have several trade shows and conventions coming up within the next two months. First the AES, then Summer NAMM. My guess is an official Summer NAMM announcement.

chk071 wrote:Jeez, Steinberg has a fixed release cycle, and they always release the next version at that time.
For once, I sadly have to agree, though the release cycle can shift up/down by a couple of months. But I'm pretty sure we might see C8.5 around Q4 for sure. Wavelab on the other hand... :shrug:

Still a Presonus thread however... though whenever it hits, I sure hope it creates a huge impact.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

chk071 wrote:Jeez, Steinberg has a fixed release cycle, and they always release the next version at that time.
Steinberg only sells DAWs so they have to keep the wheel turning ... so the direct comparison is Apples to Oranges. PreSonus is a hardware company that also makes a DAW, not a DAW company that needs to produce an update every year to keep the money coming in.

They obviously have other priorities also, like designing and producing the relatively expensive hardware they introduced at Messe. They seem to be making a complete music system, not just a DAW.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steinberg sells Hardware too.

Er... Steinberg is also selling hardware for a couple for years at this point, LawrenceF.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

chk071 wrote:Steinberg sells Hardware too.
Steinberg does not manufacture and produce multiple digital consoles, huge expensive event speakers, ranges of studio monitors, and multiple different audio cards. It's not a hardware company.

it did not start as a hardware company. It is a software company that also sells some hardware, which is most likely designed and manufactured by Yamaha.

MOTU is a hardware company.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Compyfox wrote: But what we both did, were mentioning a rough time frame for the release of the new "hardware", which is supposed to be bundled with Studio One. And that is currently aimed at "late summer".

Another hint in the video linked by 24MTS is that the interviewer mentioned "hardware updates", which confirms a closer integration into Studio One - all in the making. (beta tester small talk not included)

So even if the official stuff is still "rumors" - we have a possible rough release date. And as I mentioned earlier - we still have several trade shows and conventions coming up within the next two months. First the AES, then Summer NAMM. My guess is an official Summer NAMM announcement.

The tighter hardware integration might be a 3.x update though. We simply know nothing in this regard. There are no "official rumours" regarding a release date.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Compyfox wrote:Er... Steinberg is also selling hardware for a couple for years at this point, LawrenceF.
Again, Steiny does not make the bulk of their money selling hardware. They are a software company. If the income from Cubase and Nuendo sales and updates and Halion and other software they sell suddenly halted they'd be in trouble, so they keep the update hamster wheel churning, by necessity.

They do not live or die on hardware sales. PreSonus, a hardware company, obviously does not live or die on selling Studio One, so their release schedule can be more relaxed.

LawrenceF wrote:
chk071 wrote:Steinberg sells Hardware too.
Steinberg does not manufacture and produce multiple digital consoles, huge expensive event speakers, ranges of studio monitors, and multiple different audio cards. It's not a hardware company.

it did not start as a hardware company. It is a software company that also sells some hardware, which is most likely designed and manufactured by Yamaha.

MOTU is a hardware company.
Well, it's true that they're not mainly a hardware manufacturer, still they have a lot of stuff. But does it matter? Product is product, and i expect a company to dedicate themselves no matter whether it's hard- or software to the products their clients pay for. Fact is that Presonus have a software line, and they should maintain it, or give it up.

chk071 wrote:But does it matter?
It seems to, yes. Does MOTU release DP every year like clockwork? Why not? Avid with PT? Why not? Apple with Logic? Why not?

My personal thinking is mostly because they actually don't have to?

Bitwig will probably more have to since they don't sell anything else.

The idea that every company that sells a comparable product should always do the same thing, and they all should have identical priorities and plans, does not align with reality.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, i get and understand your point. And i don't think companies in this business have over capacities too. Anyway, let's wait and see, it's probably coming soon anyway. :)

chk071 wrote:Ok, i get and understand your point. And i don't think companies in this business have over capacities too. Anyway, let's wait and see, it's probably coming soon anyway. :)
Yeah, that's all I was saying. They obviously don't need the money from selling Studio One, they haven't had a paid update release since 2011. :)

Their last major feature release in 2012, 2.5, was free.

Studio One seems to be one small part of a much larger plan, not their main focus. From reading the literature on the Studio 192 hardware, that device is probably going to help sell a heck of a lot of upgrades of S1 Pro, with the hardware integration, because everyone who buys one of those hardware devices will be able to see it in action in the bundled Artist version.

I was thinking, here's a possible reason why we don't have an anouncement this time around:

Presonus, the American hardware company, launched a hardware product in a German event and so their German software department will launch the software product in an American event, Summer NAMM that is.

:)

What about this? Possible?
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”